Question about facelight projection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know how to edit a facelight so that it only projects strictly in ONE direction (ie forward)? What I'm trying to do is only illuminate the face/hair and nowhere else on the body. All the facelights I have illuminate my chest more than the face no matter how much I rotate it or edit the light settings, I'm guessing it illuminates a spherical area around it and not a straight beam. Thanks.

Wow, there are still people using face lights?  I thought that silliness went away in like 2009 or so.

For the uninitiated, I'll summarize the history, real quick.  Face lights came about as the result of a really bizarre over-reaction by the "fight any and all changes, at all costs" crowd, back when SL's ancient and extremely unrealistic lighting system was replaced with a much better one, several years ago.  There were all kinds of daily arguments about them back then, betwen those who would insist, "I needs me my facelight, or the world will come to an end," and the rest of us who would point out the practical realities of why such things not only cause all kinds of display problems and lag for other people, but don't even produce the desired effect anyway.  A simple tweak to the lighting settings in the viewer will do far more to make your avatar look well lit than any face light every possibly could.

I hadn't heard mention of face lights in at least the last couple of years (until just now), so I assumed people had come to their senses about them.

When the viewer has Lighting and shadows enabled you can make a projector that lights in one direction.
You can even project a texture from it.
In your case the texture would be a light spot with soft edges.
See Edit window, Features tab.

Only people with Lighting and Shadows enabled has a chance to see it:smileylol:

Fortunately the viewer has a check mark for to Render Attached Lights
On my viewer it is always unchecked, so I will never be bothered by facelights again

Chosen Few wrote:

Wow, there are still people using face lights?  I thought that silliness went away in like 2009 or so.

I hadn't heard mention of face lights in at least the last couple of years (until just now), so I assumed people had come to their senses about them.

Unfortunately that silliness is still going on. One can see it daily. Yesterday I was in a live concert. About 70 people were gathered near the stage. One could spot quite a few facelight users.

The most glaring disruption to the eyes was a couple, both wearing extremely bright facelights. Burning their avatar textures as well as the ground and object textures near by. The facelights' ruining effect was enhanced by the fact that it was night. By the way, neither one was a new residents. Both were well over two years of SL age.

I could have shot those two avatars! Ufff... :matte-motes-sour:

Coby Foden wrote:

Chosen Few wrote:

Unfortunately that silliness is still going on. One can see it daily. Yesterday I was in a live concert. About 70 people were gathered near the stage. One could spot quite a few facelight users.

The most glaring disruption to the eyes was a couple, both wearing extremely bright facelights. Burning their avatar textures as well as the ground and object textures near by. The facelights' ruining effect was enhanced by the fact that it was night. By the way, neither one was a new residents. Both were well over two years of SL age.

I could have shot those two avatars! Ufff... :matte-motes-sour:

May I quote myself:

Fortunately the viewer has a check mark for, to
Render Attached Lights

On my viewer it is always unchecked, so I will never be bothered by facelights again

You don't have to kill anybody wearing facelights

Just turn their lights off:smileywink:

Dora Gustafson wrote:

You don't have to kill anybody wearing facelights

Just turn their lights off:smileywink:

Psstt... yes I know that viewer feature.

But I'm so silly myself that I actually want to see who are the ones still wearing facelights.

:smileysurprised: :smileylol:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.