Salvaging Shoes with Invisiprims

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since invisiprims are broken, I have been replacing a lot of shoes.  I have found very nice pumps, flats, boots, and athletic shoes that work fine.  I am having trouble finding sandals, because the only ones I can find that don't rely on invisiprims have prim feet, which I don't want because I can never get a good color match.

I thought of a solution.  I can't see any reason that it wouldn't work, but would like to know if others think so, too.  The problem I have with the invisiprim shoes is that a terribly deformed rear part of my foot sticks down though the sole of the shoe.  It seems to me that I could make an alpha mask for just the part that needs to be hidden and that it might be the same, and certainly would be similar, for most shoes.  

Does this sound right?

I thought what you were doing was removing the invisiprim.

If not, what is it you are doing that would cause you to need to create an alpha layer?

What I have been seeing, is that people have been removing the invisiprims from their heels because they don't like the alpha sorting conflict on floors. The problem has been that once they remove the invisiprim, that weird foot shape is visible, so they just wear an alpha mask to hide that. I thought that was what you were talking about.

You can just ignore the invisiprims, it's what I do on the ones I can't remove.

The shoes look fine (or as fine as they ever did) if I keep lighting and shadows turned off, but turning it on causes the problem described above.  It seems like a pretty easy task to make a suitable alpha mask (I have made my own to use with mesh clothing when the ones that came with it didn't work well.), especially after I get the first one right. I want to have lighting and shadows on, and I want to look good to others who have it on.

Aha! Ok, I see what you are saying, when you enable shadows, you can see the part of your foot that was supposed to be hidden by the invisiprim!

I hadn't noticed this before, as most of the shoes now don't have invisiprims anymore.

That's why you asked if you could just ignore the invisiprims. Oh, ok. 

If it is easy enough for you to make an alpha mask, I say go for it and see what happens.

What I've done for furry avatars with invisiprims - edit that one prim, and set its size to 0.01 on all 3 dimensions. If it still gets in the way of lighting effects, give it the default library transparent texture.

But the thread seems to be about alpha maps instead - so for that yes, make simple alphas for the parts you want hidden.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Since invisiprims are broken, I have been replacing a lot of shoes.  I have found very nice pumps, flats, boots, and athletic shoes that work fine.  I am having trouble finding sandals, because the only ones I can find that don't rely on invisiprims have prim feet, which I don't want because I can never get a good color match.

I thought of a solution.  I can't see any reason that it wouldn't work, but would like to know if others think so, too.  The problem I have with the invisiprim shoes is that a terribly deformed rear part of my foot sticks down though the sole of the shoe.  It seems to me that I could make an alpha mask for just the part that needs to be hidden and that it might be the same, and certainly would be similar, for most shoes.  

Does this sound right?

It's possible but it will be a very fussy procedure. When you upload a texture for an alpha it can be difficult to anticipate exactly what the alpha will mask because of how the viewer interprets the texture. I'm working on it now and I'm getting close but there is a lot of trial and error involved. You should be able to ignore the invisiprim when its done.

Not as easy as you'd think. When the foot is deformed to fit into a high heeled platform sandal the pixels are stretched all over the place. If you are even one pixel off you can get streaks of flesh appearing underneath the shoes or streaks of invisible areas in your feet. But it's do-able with some effort!

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

It's possible but it will be a very fussy procedure. When you upload a texture for an alpha it can be difficult to anticipate exactly what the alpha will mask because of how the viewer interprets the texture. I'm working on it now and I'm getting close but there is a lot of trial and error involved. You should be able to ignore the invisiprim when its done.

Oh, I know!  It took 36 iterations for me to get one I made for a mesh skirt just right.  Thank God for temporary uploads.  However, having made that one, it will be quick and easy to tweak it when it needs it to work with other skirts.

thanks for the link to that item.

I know the creator (Imnotgoing Sideways) and she is nothing short of amazing with this SL tech stuff.

If Immy created something, you know it is gonna be good. The style itself of some of her creations may or may not be your taste but the quality is never an issue.

So instead of worrying about if it would work or not, I am gonna invest in this "just in case".

Now just think - if LL had made the feet look at least decent to begin with, all this hassle with shoes, prim feet, etc... never would have been an issue. Sure shoes would be another accessory but not a need to have special prim feet with alphas and invisiprims and all that other mess.

• 6 years later...
4 hours ago, Tenly said:

six years later and just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Honestly there are SO MANY NICE SHOES out there for free -- WHY would you want to wear very old (and likely "primmy") shoes from almost another decade. 

The future is NOW - LOL.

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.