Sign in to follow this  
Reaos Heartsdale

RP = Crazy ppl?

I've been Role Playing here for years and ive seen good players, and bad players.  What makes a good Roleplay Happen? And why are people so sencitive when someone dosen't conform to those set of rules?

Role Play seems to have a diverse culture.  Many of them are from books, times, and even fantasy.  What makes a rp tick though? I have always found that people were the most dynamic reason. Rules are another thing that should be thought into. Too many rules, no fun, and too little rules equal chaos.  A strong background story is also a must, so that visitors can understand that there is more to it then hud fighting. 

Friendships are key to making any RP fun, but can also be emotionally consuming more then one can realize sometimes. For instance, Ive had many friends, and lovers in RP, which were great usually for nearly 2 weeks.  Then something happens to just drop off and cycle out.  Its very hard to keep someone around for more than that time due to some stupid little block or loophole that they put up through rp. How many of you had senarios wher you thought you were getting along well with a group, but one little thing just seemed to set someone off and basically out you from that group and sim for ever? It happens more often then one would think.  (Would love to hear others experiences on this)

MIxing Money, and products for rp, has always been another let down.  I've bought people things, they've bought me things, but usually those senarios have never turned out well for me.   I mean I try to have fun with people, try to keep them happy as friends, but much of the time, it seems that people dont know how to show or recieve respect.  When they do, they either freak out or go balistic because you dident do something right, or they just really dont give a crap.

So in closing, id like to hear some of your stories here.  I would like you to keep it to stories and comments to those stories.  Thanks in advance.

I've been roleplaying in 1920s Berlin for almost 3 years and yes the main reason this sim is doing so well is because of the community.

Out 60+ apartments have been fully occupied practically since day 1, some of our tenants have been here longer then 2 years.

Some of the relationships there have lasted just as long.

People make or break a sim but also the structure behind the sim, strict rules and enforcing them keep the theme of the sim strong, no background story just a setting, we don't have any huds and we're not a combat sim although sometimes the police can get in trouble with someone.

As long as you follow the sims rules you won't get banned, we don't really follow scenarios though.

As we try and roleplay daily life, people can act the way they are in RL.

To much of a background story can also be a problem. One sim that looked very good to me had what was the equivilant of a paperback book of backstory. Also it limits balanced creativity.

I have a character i've been desprate to play on RP sims that is like a vampire but instead of magic it's technology that makes her like that with no fangs and a weakness of EMP blasts but with emotions even stronger than human sometimes. Someone that is very close to human but with so many modifications it's hard to really call her that.

Unfortunatly the places with the right theme have race sets already that are completely incompatable with the idea. the closest one place sudgested was basicly a sex bot. No thankyou.

Besides I actualy prefer to observe people playing and find out backstory and things that have happend in the past to the RP world as i'm going just like I dont like to metagame and instantly know a characters name I dont like to metagame and instantly know a load of information i'm not supposed to know.

Godmodders are touigh to deal with as well. in each RP no matter where it is everyonne needs to respect everyone else.

I also personly dont like fighteing systems on an RP sim. It just gets to be to geard around sitting around with your tag on till you can wipe the floor with everyone with your stats. If they had a system with no numberd levels fine that way skill has to be what you have to win but theres a problem with that as anyone with skill in fighting but no skill in RP can go on a rampage. Also for RP I dont like plaes that require you to buy some set stuff just to play it becomes less about the RP and more about who can afford the biggest gun to control people with.

RP without a real backgroundstory is senseless and boring. It creates too many godplayers and brings too many childish people into the game. True creativity is to have a charakter that belongs into a certain setting, who uses the background and not fight against it. I'm tired of all those guys saying "but I'm differen than other from my race" or people who mistake their creativity with mixing universes.

I would say your backgroundstory is history. So you don't need to write down your own backroundstory, cause there is already one given.

Yes true, but it is more a setting then an entire story.

We don't tell our players or visitors anything but that they are in 1920s Berlin, no long stories to read and understand.

Actually you have a backstory in the sim ... all that is needed to know about it is to open a history book ;P

Sims that are not base on reality have to come up with enough information about the world to give people a canvas they can paint their own stories on. It is harder this way but in my opinion one of the most important things. A nicely made backstory that gives the needed information about what is going on, what time it is, maybe some historical events to give it all the right perspective .. some details .. does a lot to spark imagination.

Without a story a RP is empty and everyone is left to do what they want what can only result in chaos and cliques forming with people using the sim for their personal RP and being unable to interact with otehrs because their view of the place differs from them. .... Doomed Ship is the best example of this .. a beautifully build sim where everyone does what they want .....

To continue with answering the original post I have to say that the sim and the story is one thing and another is the community. I have seen well made and thought out sims die because they have not managed to attract enough people to form a community that then would draw in others (on the other hand I have seen sims stay that should be forbiden to have 'RP' in their name  -_- ). I think there is a lot of luck invovled here since enough people need to get to know about the sim quickly enough. And with the forums not being visited by that many people the only possibility is spreading the word about it inworld.

But if a good write up, a nice build manage to attrackt enough people so that a community can take roots a RP sim can stay around. From personal expierience I know that the first few months can be a lot of work .. and that goes for both sides since it can either be a struggle to make enough peopel start playing there or it can be a struggle to keep up with the masses that seemingly out of nowhere storm the sim. I guess there have been also enough sims that failed because the staff was not prepared for this or made up of the wrong kind of people ... I have sadly seen this too .. but i ngeneral I have lot of respect of people who decide to start RP sims (provided they know what they are about to do ;P)

Exactly.

Community is the magic ingredient.

Create a sim that people will love and they will fight and work for it as much as you will have to do.

A sim shouldn't just be your sim, it should be their sim as well.

Roleplay works and is fun when you play it with the right peoples, this is the major rule. In a traditional pen and paper RP this is relatively his to achieve, because one selects the friends/players to play with; in an open, massive multiplayer environment as SL this is far harder; nothing can really be done about this except adapting, accetting compromises and being flexible or, simply, roleplay on some different platform/media.

On the background "story" question: depends what we means. If we means a (light) framework with the purpose to provide some coordinates, canon and immersion feeling for the players to engraft their own gameplay then yes, is useful and needed. If we mean a premade plot/storyline that go ahead and is enforced then no, is not going to work, not in SL roleplay.

Personally I played years in places where GM/Admins/owners claimed to enforce a specific storyline over the community and In my experience this always resulted in disasters and, in some case, disrupted the players community.

After all, rorleplay is not about writing a plot and expecting people to play it. RP is about providing tools: a canvas, pencils and brushes to the players to write/live their own stories. This is the only story that count, in RP, the one originated spontaneously from players interactions. And character's backstory, also, is built day by day trough the roleplay effectively played.

The rest is game framework, game settings, game tools....

Everyone rps in sl, you have to almost :)

I never assume what people do reflects their rl persona, not even when they say as much.

Most people I meet come to sl to play out lifestyles they'd like to follow irl but for whatever reason can't (be it mental, physical, or opportunity). With lifestyle comes a persona, how close to your irl persona that is will vary greatly between players.

Some have an sl persona very close to their irl persona, for others the difference is like night and day (and that may mean different sex, race, even species, not just physical and mental traits).

Many people seem to think the only way to rp is to create some fantasy, that people in more reality based sims aren't rp'ing. This isn't true, there's as much rp there as there is anywhere, it's just more subtle (less distinct from what rl COULD be, not necessarilly IS for the player) and thus harder for an outsider to distinguish.

As to people freaking out when you make an ic mistake, you meet such people everywhere, sl or rl. Usually they're the same people who also refuse to help newcomers, and later complain when their communities die because there aren't enough newcomers. Unless they're the leaders of a sim, or in the majority there, just avoid them and (if they get too obnoxious) report them to the sim owners.
I've had however more trouble myself with people who can't separate ooc and ic and wil harass you ooc because of ic statements (including in one extreme case death threats against my irl persona).

As to people dropping in and out, that's what happens in online communities, especially ones where there's no monetary presure (no subscription fees that is) to hang around. If you have to pay for 3 months in advance, most people consider it a waste of money to not hang around that long, and if it's fun will continue to do so.
Here, many will want to get a quick taste of things, decide it's not for them before they really get to know it, and quit or move on to some other sim.
And the more complex the rp is, and the less eager the regulars to help newcomers, to accept them and ease them into it, the more likely a sim is to have a high turnover rate of new arrivals feeling unwelcome and leaving again.

Yeah I understand where your coming from. There has been a few sims I really enjoyed because they had a great mix between combat and RP.  One of those was a Roman style RP, and another place was Sparta.  The roman sim allowed me to create a senate there for them, and we had a lot of fun with that.  Slave trials, Gypsie burnings, Theater, gladiator fights and many other events.

Rp has always been about cliques and going out to defeat a senario.  When you get a mass rp, that can be some fun. You can give people roles of families, businesses, organized crime, millitary, or other objectives and roles which can really make a rp unique and fun.

For instance, that guy with the brittish sim.

He could organize groups that can guard his sim like british soldiers, or police.  He also could inspire a group of different wealth classes like, nobels, middle classes, lower classes, bruhers, or even a monarchy to add a spice to rp.  All these groups would have there own rules, and story, but ultimatley have to answer to the monarchy and police to create a traditionally affective rp.  Also, the stories should tie into other groups too, so that people can use that as lingo to teach new comers on the fly.

If people see others using that lingo, its easier to assimilate into the rp, and the police could be there to help enforce guidelines and train people if thats what they wanted. Its just a small idea, but if you have a good enough population, its something that can sweep through pretty easily if you work it right.

yeah i can agree with that, what were some of your favorite places you been too? Omg and death threats? I mean ive heard of groups operating from sl to rl, but ive never really heard of them taking action on it oO. hope nothing happend to ya

when I RP I do "soft RP" or specificly I don't create a character, my character is just me, as I would be in the setting, in Bloodlines I'm me, as a vampire, in combat sims I'm me, with a gun  ect

only time I do full RP is when there's dice and cheetos involved

"How many of you had senarios where you thought you were getting along well with a group, but one little thing just seemed to set someone off and basically out you from that group and sim for ever? It happens more often then one would think.  (Would love to hear others experiences on this)"

It sort of depends what the one little thing is, but I bet a lot of roleplayers know what you mean. Some roleplayers and clusters of roleplayers get an idea in their head of how they want a scene to turn out. And sometimes, though the magic of roleplay, it turns out differently. In fact it almost always turns out differently, and often for the better, because the spontaneity of life has been added. 

You can't predict the outcome of proper RP in advance, IMHO. But this disappointment can be very, very frustrating for the typist who put up with an awful rl all day just so they could be sure to save the maiden tonight. But sometimes maidens are not saved, and people have trouble coping with that changed to their desired ending. In that situation, the people who want a prearranged outcome are often unhappy with whoever injected unpredictability into their world.

Or maybe you mean something entire different :)

I agree with Planter. There's often that person who always wants the scene to go their way, and they often cause problems when it doesn't. But I've also encountered a lot of issues with people who aren't in charge and want to be. Not in an IC sense (though that usually accompanies this), but in charge of the whole RP and how it's run.

However, I will note that I've encountered just as many drama whores in real life with real life situations. I think these are just the people who will do that no matter where they are and what they are doing. It just might be easier to see those people coming IRL.

Reaos Heartsdale wrote:

yeah i can agree with that, what were some of your favorite places you been too? Omg and death threats? I mean ive heard of groups operating from sl to rl, but ive never really heard of them taking action on it oO. hope nothing happend to ya

haven't been in sl long enough to really have "favourites". Found a very nice nudist resort island to set my home and hang out, dance, etc.. Nuda Veritas it is, probably the one place I visit more often than any other.

But it's not much of an rp sim, unless you're roleplaying a nudist woman who doesn't mind men enjoying her presence :)

No, nothing happened after the death threats. I'm having some problems with vandalism to my house and car lately, but that's years later and the threats came from literally halfway around the world so I doubt it's related.

yeah there have been times in rp that i set up stories for a day, and instead of putting someone on trial or something, they get killed in rp before they can reach the destination of the trial, or like gypsies try to steal my wallet, or some asswhole bandit group ries to enter the back door if you know what i mean lol jk about that last part :P

Honestly, id rather put up with people in rl because thats who they are.  Online most of the drama could be staged or controlled usually, and ive been had with that sort of situation, and ive been able to reverse it and piss people off the same way they pissed me off lol.