I can only log in with Imprudence...

BelladonnaCapplepot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello Belladonna and welcome to SL Forums. Are you new in SL? Do you try to launch the application for first time? Maybe your system doesn't meet the requirements for SL? You can post them here for a better answer. I am not familiar with Imprudence but i in all the the viewers i know you find your system's specs under Menu Help. Copy them and paste here. You can edit your post (options on the right --> edit) adding more details.

7 answers to this question

Hello Belladonna and welcome to SL Forums. Are you new in SL? Do you try to launch the application for first time? Maybe your system doesn't meet the requirements for SL? You can post them here for a better answer. I am not familiar with Imprudence but i in all the the viewers i know you find your system's specs under Menu Help. Copy them and paste here. You can edit your post (options on the right --> edit) adding more details.

Hi Belladonna. Can you please post details of your computer system. Open your Imprudence viewer to the login page and select Help > About then copy/paste your computer details into your post  using Options > Edit.

Have you checked the System Requirements page http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

Please also post the exact message you get when you try to login with the current official viewer Second Life 3.2.8 (248931)

IF it is a computer specs issue -- and Imprudence is one of the easiest on the system even though it doesn't do a lot of things needed these days -- then it may be your answer. As I understand it, the Linden Labs 1.23 viewer is no longer available for download and no longer supported. That is the viewer I use on my very old laptop.

If you haven't tried the SINGULARITY viewer, you might want to give that a try. I have a friend that uses it on a very old (antique) server. It apparently is very easy on the system and will do most things that the newest viewers will do including mesh. Imprudence has traditionally be geared toward Open Sim and so perposefully did not incorporate many of the newer  improvments used in SL.

Good luck.

So, use the Imprudence viewer. As other people have suggested, Imprudence is an old-style,  V1 codebase viewer that doesn't demand as much from your computer as the current generation of V2/V3 codebase viewers.  At least until you can upgrade to a new computer, you know that you can get into SL with what you have.

Since only Imprudence works for you it is likely your computer's CPU that is the problem. An aspect of the SL Viewer that is used to render the new freeform mesh objects and clothes requires the use of some SSE2 functions. These functions were added by Intel in 2001 with the Pentium 4. CPU's made before then cannot run the newer mesh capable viewers.

You can see what your computer supports by using CPU-Z, a free program. It will tell you what level of SSE your CPU supports... or not.

The only way to get the SSE support is to upgrade the computer. If you are not a computer geek, then a new computer is the easier choice. You can find cheap computers on eBay. If you are a geek or just technically oriented, you can upgrade your computer. Upgrading a pre 2001 computer may cost as much as a cheap used computer or more. In the end you would still have an old computer with several components well aged toward their failure date.

If you are into the upgrade thing, see: How To get a Faster Second Life. You can get the components you need on eBay for dirt cheap prices. I have found memory and CPU's there that come in the original, never opened, factory packaging.

Is this the error you are seeing?

"Log in failed. Second life cannot be accessed from this computer. If you feel this is an error please contact support@secondlife.com"

This error means that the computer has been hardware banned for some reason. Older versions of Imprudence used a different hashing method which allow a banned machine to get in when it was banned while using any other viewer. (This is only true for old versions of that viewer. I believe Impurdance 1.4 is now using the typical hashing menthod.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.