New feature: ALL ITEMS received go into one folder called "Received Items"

Sassy Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you want just about everything that you receive, purchase, such as objects, folders, returned inventory, notecards,  textures, scripts etc. all going into one folder?

How long do you think it will be before this folder gets utterly out of hand, 2 days?  3?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/ReceivedItemsBetaTesting

Examples of what goes into Received items

• Anything new to your inventory that you Take or Take Copy.
  • Anything you rezzed in someone else's parcel and they have Returned.
  • Inventory offers from other users.
  • Inventory from scripted objects.
  • Marketplace purchased items.

Thread discussing it on Commerce forum

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Try-out-the-new-Received-Items-Beta/m-p/1397409#M16084

JIRA that suggests, this is a REALLY bad idea

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28426

Personally, I'm not gonna try it. I got other things to do, but I did read thru the wiki. It is pretty detailed and if what it says is correct, then I don't need to try it.

That said, I don't think it is a bad idea. It make some sense, except 2 things.

Examples of what goes into Received items

• Anything new to your inventory that you Take or Take Copy.
  • Anything you rezzed in someone else's parcel and they have Returned.
  • Inventory offers from other users.
  • Inventory from scripted objects.
  • Marketplace purchased items.

* Anything new to your inventory that you Take or Take Copy. <----- That is not something I recieve. It would usually be my own item and should go to where I need it to go, not some arbitary folder that I will have to fishout of.

* Anything you rezzed in someone else's parcel and they have Returned. <----- This should go where it has always gone, which is Lost and Found.

Beyond those 2 items, I think it is a decent concept. Mostly because if you took out the Take and Take copy, then all items given to me, goes into the Recieved Folder, which I can clean or sort more easily, and the kind of stuff I'd want to sort. Then while I'm working on something, I don't have to worry about my creations getting mixed up with things people gave me. My Objects folder would truely stay My Objects. The reason I don't clean it more is because everything gets mixed in there. But.... If I rez something from a specific folder, just to add something to it or edit parts, then when I take it, it should go right back to the folder I took it from. Like it normally does now.

i think people that are used to the objects folder getting out of hand may try to keep a recieved folder a bit more organized..

but newer people i think it would just be like an objects folder that just gets way out of hand..

i'm happy with the temp recieved folder because i can go back in time in days  and find things i have gotten if i forget to organize something..

my real opinion? i think LL should stop with trying to make everything so user friendly..because the learning curve was what really added to making SL more interesting..

half the fun is getting somewhere..not making it all just one easy teleport to the answer..

rather than keep adding to the pile..fix some things that are a bit more important..

making things user friendly i feel kills off longevity..

what happens in most places when you have things pretty much figured out? myself i end up looking for stuff to do lol

that may just be me..but it was pretty cool that it used to take years to really figure sl out..

now it's like click click boom..you are there..

I would not mind that feature, I mean your inventory is a folder in essence and everything goes in there, and its all messy anyway, heehee... so if it goes into one received items folder it would limit the caos and mayhem to just one folder, heehee...  

We have "recent items" and that is handy, but sometimes you crash or log off without checking those 10 items purchased on MP and  when you log back on again it is hard finding the new amungst the old... at least thats how I roll with my messy inventory, ;)

No, my inventory is enough of a mess already. It was way too long after I began, before I knew how to rename a folder  (so that I could sort things into categories), let alone realized the copyable items were duplicating each time I rezzed one. I still don't delete note cards most of the time, I don't even know why. They don't seem to register with my conscious mind as a tangible item, I guess, but a message,  like an IM is.

OBJECT folder is already enough of a garbage dump, without intention. I don't need more landfill.

Luschious Nightfire wrote:

I would not mind that feature, I mean your inventory is a folder in essence and everything goes in there, and its all messy anyway, heehee... so if it goes into one received items folder it would limit the caos and mayhem to just one folder, heehee...  

We have "recent items" and that is handy, but sometimes you crash or log off without checking those 10 items purchased on MP and  when you log back on again it is hard finding the new amungst the old... at least thats how I roll with my messy inventory,
;)

if you crash ..just go to your recent items  and choose show filter..then at the bottom of the filter just put in the hour or day you wish to go back to..those items will show up =)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

We have "recent items" and that is handy, but sometimes you crash or log off without checking those 10 items purchased on MP and  when you log back on again it is hard finding the new amungst the old... at least thats how I roll with my messy inventory,
;)

if you crash ..just go to your recent items  and choose show filter..then at the bottom of the filter just put in the hour or day you wish to go back to..those items will show up =)

You can do that ?!?!?  my life just got so much easier :) Thank you Ceka

Ceka Cianci wrote:

;)

You can do that ?!?!?  my life just got so much easier
:)
Thank you Ceka

you're welcome =)

i should explain it a little better about the days..if you go back 5 days..it will show everything from the past 5 days..you don't actually go back to a certain day and just get that days data..

it will be everything from that day till now..but you have options to choose textures or objects or clothes ect..in the boxes you leave checked..you will see what i mean when you go there =)

Doesn't seem like it would be of much use for me since my inventory tends to grow out of control so quickly.  I suppose it could be helpful, sort of, for direct delivery of marketplace items.  Why not just have a direct delivery folder or marketplace folder for those items?

I would prefer to have a Busy folder that could accept inventory offers silently while I am in busy mode.  That would be more helpful I think.

Seven Overdrive wrote:

Doesn't seem like it would be of much use for me since my inventory tends to grow out of control so quickly.  I suppose it could be helpful, sort of, for direct delivery of marketplace items.  Why not just have a direct delivery folder or marketplace folder for those items?

I would prefer to have a Busy folder that could accept inventory offers silently while I am in busy mode.  That would be more helpful I think.

Yes, I wish they would do something about this.  It is a good feature that I never use because I'm afraid I'll miss something :(

If there was a folder for Market Purchases and only Market Place Purchases went into it, that could be nice.  It would be nice if it could be used for In World Purchases also until you have time to sort but that would require a new function other than llGiveInventory to distinguish those items.

The LL Second Life viewer is already a clunky, laggy, cluttered mess.  The web-profiles, the whole thing.  I loathe it. 

If I use it, I can't find or do a damn thing without wasting time, working with an interface that is so non-intuitive...arrgh!   I can't say enough about how horrible it already is...so whatever else they do...it's all bad.

This of course is just one more bad idea.   *shakes head*

• 1 month later...

16 wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i'm happy with the temp recieved folder because i can go back in time in days  and find things i have gotten if i forget to organize something..

^^ that

+

the thing i like about Received over Recent is that Received persists between logins

Mitigated by setting a Recent filter to show "hours ago" or "days ago"

Sassy Romano wrote:

16 wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

^^ that

+

the thing i like about Received over Recent is that Received persists between logins

Mitigated by setting a Recent filter to show "hours ago" or "days ago"

wow! cool thanks. i never knew that (:

ok. i change my mind. i dont need no received folder now xD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.