Try out the new Received Items Beta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We went to the Beta Grid to test this.. If i recieve a Landmark, Notecard, Animation, Clothing.. i want it to go into the Folder it belongs. I mean... thats why we have them.. right ? This Recieved items for ALL items is not going to work for me.. or anyone i know... at all!!!  most of the time.. when i recieve an item from... lets say.. the marketplace... it goes into my 'objects' folder.. the 'catch all' folder as of right now... so... now... they want to make a NEW Catch all folder.... what I am seeing here is.... people.. that already have a junk drawer... decided... to make a bigger junk drawer.. that would be harder to sort through then the first one. I think... having a incoming folder for MARKETPLACE ITEMS..would be good.. HOWEVER.. a folder for the marketplace items.. stilll doesnt.. fix.. the.. marketplace delivery issues..... How about.. instead of messing up everyones inventory system.. they fix the real issue...My big question here is... WHY do this? We already have the recent items tab... if the reason is to find recent recieved items.. thats where they need to look. I think if Linden decides to move forward with this.. they will have a bigger problem with people not being able to find things in thier inventory. I will be HIGHLY disappointed if Linden moved forward with this feature... mostly because.. i see that about 95% of people that have taken the time to test it.. HATE the idea.. And i really hope that TRUELY take that into concideration!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Commerce Team Linden:

It is now time to remove this new "feature" from the Beta testing phase and add it to the trash pile. I'm not saying this because I feel I have some special power .. not at all. I am saying this because you yourself have determined this outcome.

At the start you asked us, your paying customers, for our feelings, feedback and comments concerning the new Received Items folder. This is a statement on your part that says "We value what you have to say and we honestly want you to help us make the Second Life platform better, so please let us know what you think." This is an indication that you honestly value our input.

So now that you have told us you value our input, we have given you that input ... and overwhelmingly the opinion is this is an ill-considered and overall negative addition to the platform and its operation. So by your own words, you would listen to us, and weigh our feedback honestly.

However, if instead you go ahead and implement this feature, you will have shown us that you were lying to us from the start, that you really do not care what we like, what we want or what we think. You will have demonstrated that your call for feedback at the outset was nothing more than a political BS maneuver to try and win some favor ... and was never intended to be seriously considered from the beginning. You will have proven that you have no regard for us, no respect for us ... and in the final outcome do not care if we all leave or stay.

So now you have a chance to prove .. one way or the other .. what is the Truth behind Linden Lab's opinion of their paying customers. Are we truly part of your plans to grow and improve your product, or are you just interested in doing only what you want and do not have the least bit of respect or consideration for our involvement. Your choice CTL .. your chance to show your true colors.

What will be your decision?

I see that a lot of people like the idea to have a folder for received items from the marketplace, but not at all for items you rezz and pick up again.

I would suggest to change this "Received items" folder to an "SL Shopping Bag". In the shopping bag comes everything you buy, whether it is bought on the marketplace or bought in world by using the buy or pay option of an object.

What I would consider as a big help is when I can open my shopping bag in a floating window. So I can have my inventory and my shopping bag (de-attached from my inventory) open. That would make it more handy for me to sort out my new purchases.

Pamela Galli wrote:

I think they do mean it  and they do listen to feedback -- remember the ill-fated attempt to provide us with a means to put our store in the order we chose?  They scrapped that.

I thought they ignored our displeasure until an unexpected bug came to light, then they took the feature away promising to return it when fixed to their specifications (not our's) and that we've never seen nor heard tell of this feature again since.

Maybe I am misremembering or mixing that disaster up with some other disaster?

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Dear Commerce Team Linden:

It is now time to remove this new "feature" from the Beta testing phase and add it to the trash pile. I'm not saying this because I feel I have some special power .. not at all. I am saying this because you yourself have determined this outcome.

At the start you asked us, your paying customers, for our feelings, feedback and comments concerning the new Received Items folder. This is a statement on your part that says "We value what you have to say and we honestly want you to help us make the Second Life platform better, so please let us know what you think." This is an indication that you honestly value our input.

So now that you have told us you value our input, we have given you that input ... and overwhelmingly the opinion is this is an ill-considered and overall negative addition to the platform and its operation. So by your own words, you would listen to us, and weigh our feedback honestly.

However, if instead you go ahead and implement this feature, you will have shown us that you were lying to us from the start, that you really do not care what we like, what we want or what we think. You will have demonstrated that your call for feedback at the outset was nothing more than a political BS maneuver to try and win some favor ... and was never intended to be seriously considered from the beginning. You will have proven that you have no regard for us, no respect for us ... and in the final outcome do not care if we all leave or stay.

So now you have a chance to prove .. one way or the other .. what is the Truth behind Linden Lab's opinion of their paying customers. Are we truly part of your plans to grow and improve your product, or are you just interested in doing only what you want and do not have the least bit of respect or consideration for our involvement. Your choice CTL .. your chance to show your true colors.

What will be your decision?

AMEN, Darrius!

/me waits for CTL's response to this post

Anaiya Arnold wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

I think they do mean it  and they do listen to feedback -- remember the ill-fated attempt to provide us with a means to put our store in the order we chose?  They scrapped that.

I thought they ignored our displeasure until an unexpected bug came to light, then they took the feature away promising to return it when fixed to their specifications (not our's) and that we've never seen nor heard tell of this feature again since.

Maybe I am misremembering or mixing that disaster up with some other disaster?

Yes, that is what I meant by "ill-fated"  -- it was not a bug exactly but did not work the way we wanted so they scrapped it.  As I hope they will this thing.

Gavin Hird wrote:

If this will work as set up on the GC 9 test area, it will be all good.

Taken items are returned to the folder they originally was rezzed from – which was my main concern reading previous comments. 

Yes, there are obviously some ppl who don't mind filing things in correct inventory folders, so they don't mind the idea of a folder where all sorts of items are dumped and must be filed -- but if your main concern is things going to the folder they belong in, I am puzzled why you would consider having things dumped where they have to be refiled "all good".

Darrius, you are 100% correct in the observation....

the LL Commerce Team has completely painted themselves in a corner regarding the future of this hairbrained feature after their only response in this thread to all our clear distain and clear rejection of their proposed "great new idea".

This is exactly what they posted to remind everyone....

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

Hello everyone,

We really appreciate the feedback you are sending in, and are reviewing this thread closely. We understand that the feedback you provide to us during this Beta phase is critical in the decisions we make moving forward with this product.

It will take us some time to review all the feedback, however we will address these concerns. Keep an eye out for that coming next week.

Please keep the constructive feedback coming!

The Commerce Team

So LL clearly stated that OUR FEEDBACK is "Critical" in their decisions with this product. 

And there is no way even LL could spin the opinions coming from the pages and pages of posting resposes on their product.... ITS WRONG AND NOT WANTED IN THE FUNCTIONS IT PROVIDES. 

The only positive that came from this thread on the function was generally..... "if the new feature was what LL promised us during their rare DD details release - a special folder like Made mentioned a "MP Shopping Bag" folder that would ONLY receive items from MP - then this would have been good and acceptable"

This is what LL should clearly have got from us regarding "Critical" feedback we provided them.  There is nothing from all this feedback that should be telling LL Commerce Team that their "all in one" Receive folder is wanted at all.

So LL Commerce Team has painted themselves into a very clear fork in the road for the decisions they have in front of them:

1. They could true to their statement and actually listen to our clear feedback and SHELVE this feature completely.
  2. They could go back to development and come back with the MP-ONLY SHOPPING BAG folder that was promised to us as a feature of the up-coming DD and that we all would fully accept since we expected this to be part of DD.
  3. They could completely lie to us and somehow spin all this rejection of their half-baked proposed feature to only be a request to improve some of the minor features and make the thing actually work (I have been on Aditi a few times this weekend for Mesh testing and I do not see this folder in my Pheonix 1.6 viewer).

So LL Commerce has a decision to make on if they truly were "listening" to our critical feedback or just posting some non-commital lip service to us Merchants / Customers.

Gavin Hird wrote:

I tested with the latest beta viewer, and it did not have to be refiled when taken back into inventory. Hence my comment "all good."

Gavin, I believe you're only referring to items you rez and TAKE?  The behaviour you describe is correct.

However, ALL other forms of inventory will now arrive in this dump folder.  So say you are working on something, you take a copy, you receive a few notecards, some textures from friends, buy some stuff from MP and then a place you were renting at now returns 500 objects individually.

Is it still "all good" that you now have all that in one folder? 

So I got a bit lost from a onslaught of feedback and comments on this thread.

This new proposed ALL-IN-ONE Reveive folder is only available to LL Viewer V3? 

Again, as I said in my last posting, I have been on Aditi this weekend a few times to work on Mesh experiments and when I looked at my folder structure, I did not see this Reveive Folder.  I suspect this feature is only for LL V3 viewers?

Regardless if LL ignores us and continues to release this All-in-one or the MP Shopping Bag folder for DD, shouldnt this folder be visible for ALL VIEWERS regardless of the version or if its LL or TPV?

Test (pre-Beta) versions of the next release of Firestorm have this feature.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

So I got a bit lost from a onslaught of feedback and comments on this thread.

This new proposed ALL-IN-ONE Reveive folder is only available to LL Viewer V3? 

Again, as I said in my last posting, I have been on Aditi this weekend a few times to work on Mesh experiments and when I looked at my folder structure, I did not see this Reveive Folder.  I suspect this feature is only for LL V3 viewers?

Regardless if LL ignores us and continues to release this All-in-one or the MP Shopping Bag folder for DD, shouldnt this folder be visible for ALL VIEWERS regardless of the version or if its LL or TPV?

Gavin Hird wrote:

I tested with the latest beta viewer, and it did not have to be refiled when taken back into inventory. Hence my comment "all good."

If you take or take a copy of your own new creation, it will need to be refiled.

If you receive a texture, notecard, LM, animation, whatever, it will need to be refiled into the folders for those things.

Some don't mind that, most do.

OK, I'll test copy of own creation and see where it ends. 

Actually I don't mind everything ending up in the received folder for instance when doing uploads. I usually have to hunt all over the place (with the recents tab) to place things in folders that keeps all items associated with the creation of a product together and not lump them all into the textures folder for instance. I suppose it falls down to working style and what you prefer. 

Rival Destiny wrote:

I cannot stress how strongly I AGREE that this will greatly increase the workload of builders. 

This is akin to having all your attachments including your clothing, prims, huds etc.  going to one point and then having to reposition them each time your wear them from inventory.

JMO

Couldn't agree more.

This "Received Items" folder was ONLY supposed to be for MP purchases - that was the original discussion and proposal from CTL - it has morphed into a monster.

CTL - Please listen to us...just code the folder to receive the MP purchases and that's all.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

This "Received Items" folder was ONLY supposed to be for MP purchases - that was the original discussion and proposal from CTL - it has morphed into a monster.

CTL - Please listen to us...just code the folder to receive the MP purchases and that's all.

I strongly suspect that they can't listen.  From listening to the audio recording about the TPV changes, it *sounds* like they've coded themselves into a corner with the changes that are proposed to llRequestAgentData and that they plan on llGiveInventory(list) being changed to ALSO send to Received Item.

In a sense that's not a bad thing, IF, they were going to ensure that deliveries were not capped but at present they remain capped, thus there's absolutely no benefit at present in this change of behaviour.

The question remains,

"Who asked for this change, where is the detail of the focus groups who wanted it and if neither of these apply, WHY are we getting this unwanted behaviour?"

Did the following test:

Uploaded a mesh item, moved to a target folder, rezzed it to the ground from the target folder, copied the mesh on the ground, too the original mesh back to inventory, took the copied mesh  back to inventory.

All tested with Second Life 3.2.9 (249510) Feb 16 2012 18:58:20 (Second Life Beta Viewer)

RESULT:

Standalone opensim:  original taken back to original folder. copy taken back to original folder

Aditi MeshHQ 1: original taken back to original folder, copy taken back to Objects

Aditi GC Test 9: original taken back to original folder, copy taken back to received items 

So actually the viewer does not do what you sais it does for the copy on Aditi anyway. 

Gavin Hird wrote:

Did the following test:

Uploaded a mesh item, moved to a target folder, rezzed it to the ground from the target folder, copied the mesh on the ground, too the original mesh back to inventory, took the copied mesh  back to inventory.

All tested with Second Life 3.2.9 (249510) Feb 16 2012 18:58:20 (Second Life Beta Viewer)

RESULT:

Standalone opensim:  original taken back to original folder. copy taken back to original folder

Aditi MeshHQ 1: original taken back to original folder, copy taken back to Objects

Aditi GC Test 9: original taken back to original folder, copy taken back to received items 

So actually the viewer does not do what you sais it does for the copy on Aditi anyway. 

Gavin, the only valid test there is Aditi GC Test 9 where this new unwanted functionality is deployed, we've said that copies taken go to Received Items, so that IS the expected behaviour.

From the wiki post in the first post by CTL

Examples of what goes into Received items

• Anything new to your inventory that you Take or Take Copy.
  • Anything you rezzed in someone else's parcel and they have Returned.
  • Inventory offers from other users.
  • Inventory from scripted objects.
  • Marketplace purchased items.

I think my point is that since the current SL viewer, both on the production and the test grid does not place a copy of a rezzed object in the originating folder, it might just as well place it in the Received Items folder for clarity. In my case, I'd usually have to move it anyway. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.