Will Second Life run on an Aspire 7736ZG (windows 7 64bit)?

Vernes Veranes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Been running Firestorm for a while and had to test something using the LL SL-Viewer.

But it doesn't start at all, no error, just, nothing.

As suggested by Natales, the log of Second Life:

2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group Global - from location Default
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Loaded settings file C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings\settings.xml
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group PerAccount - from location Default
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Loaded settings file C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings\settings_per_account.xml
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group CrashSettings - from location Default
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Loaded settings file C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings\settings_crash_behavior.xml
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group Warnings - from location Default
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Loaded settings file C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings\ignorable_dialogs.xml
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z WARNING: LLControlGroup::set: Invalid control VersionChannelName
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewerWin32::initParseCommandLine: Language: en
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewerWin32::initParseCommandLine: Location: US
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewerWin32::initParseCommandLine: Variant: ISO_8859-1
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group Global - from location User
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z WARNING: LLControlGroup::loadFromFile: Cannot find file C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings.xml to load.
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Cannot load C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings.xml - No settings found.
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group CrashSettings - from location User
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z WARNING: LLControlGroup::loadFromFile: Cannot find file C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings_crash_behavior.xml to load.
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Cannot load C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings_crash_behavior.xml - No settings found.
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group Warnings - from location User
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z WARNING: LLControlGroup::loadFromFile: Cannot find file C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\ignorable_dialogs.xml to load.
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Cannot load C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\ignorable_dialogs.xml - No settings found.
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group Global - from location Session
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::loadSettingsFromDirectory: Attempting to load settings for the group Global - from location UserSession
2012-02-25T19:14:08Z INFO: LLAppViewer::initConfiguration: Setting Global.InstallLanguage to en

And here is also my firestorm About info:

Firestorm 3.2.2 (24336) Nov 27 2011 17:05:37 (Firestorm-Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4500  @ 2.30GHz (2294.24 MHz)
Memory: 4091 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce G210M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.16.0011.8766
OpenGL Version: 3.1 NVIDIA 187.66
RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Phoenix
Viewer Skin: firestorm (grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance : 32
Bandwidth : 700
LOD factor : 0.5
Built with MSVC version 1600

Not surprisingly. It has a G210M video card which is so bottom spec light that it's totally unable to do 3D. Perhaps some vintage games at low graphic settings may run, but Firestorm? LOL, errmm, no.

Perhaps, just perhaps if you use a vintage 1.x based light SL viewer set at low/mid graphic settings with very low draw distance you just might be lucky, but i fear the worst...

Sorry.

Your graphics card does seem to meet the minimum requirements needed to be able to run SL. This is no surprise as you were able to run Firestorm, which is ofcourse based on the SL viewer. It's at the very low end though.

You could try to uninstall all viewers, including all the hidden files. SL (and Firestorm etc) creates quite a bit of files on your computer, mainly for cache.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\Cache

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Secondlife\[version number]

For windows 7 you can find the SL folders here. Firestorm might use the same folders or use its own folders in "....\Roaming" and "......\Local"

When I clean up and remove all SL files from my machine (I do that from time to time), I also check the registry after removing the folders, there are plenty of (free) tools for that.

I have a different take on the 7736. I can only find the detail specs on the 7739, but… I am guessing the differences are minor.

The CPU shown is the Intel P6200. That is more than adequate for SL. It has some built in video processing and basic 3D render tech.

The graphics are handled by a nVidia GeForce G210M 512MB. The newer nVidia 310M is reported by multiple reviewers as just a renamed 210M. However, both 210 and 310 in laptops have a problem engaging. Laptops will try to run in the most energy sparse configuration. Most laptops fail to recognize SL as a graphics intense app and fail to engage the nVidia 210 and instead run only on the graphics features in the CPU. This could be part of the problem. But, if so, this would be a performance issue rather than a total fail.

I cannot see any reason the laptop would not run SL. Since Firestorm runs, the computer is capable of all that is needed to run SL. Firestorm has always been targeted to provide rendering for the new freeform mesh items that require the greater computer capabilities.

I suspect the problem is in the SL Viewer failing to accurately recognize the laptop’s capabilities. A lookup table is used by the viewer to decide which settings to use. If the viewer decides from reading the file that the viewer is not supported, an error message is displayed. I take it that is not happening. So, I am assuming something else is wrong.

To get any idea of what that might be we need more information. Open Firestorm and click Help->About… and copy that information into you initial post. Use OPTIONS->EDIT in the upper right.

You can also look in your SL log to see what may be going wrong. Look in: C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\Secondlife\logs\SecondLife.log. It is a text file, so you can open it with most editors. Look toward the end of the file for errors and warnings. This may give you a clue or if you post it here we may be able to help you.

Also, try opening the nVidia Control Panel. See if there is an entry for Second Life. If not, make one. You may have to Google for “laptop graphics card not used” or something similar to figure out how to get the nVidia configured to kicking for SL.

If you need help know what settings to use see: Graphics Tweaking for Second Life.

To me that looks like a cache/settings issue. Did you look up the two folders I mentioned earlier? Something is wrong with them, since according to the log SL can't find the files that should be there. Can you look them up manually and see if they are there?

Cannot find file C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\C:\Users\Vernes Veranes\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\settings.xml

Not exactly the folder I mentioned... that looks like a very strange folder to me btw, it is double. Did you remove all viewers and do a clean install?

Well that identifies the problem, unfortunately not its cause....

Since you're running more than one viewer, I'd suggest to strip your entire system of everything that has got anything to do with the SL viewers, including TPVs like Firestorm. Don't forget the folders that are corrupted, the ones you looked up. There should be similair folders for other viewers. As far as I know (I never took the time to take a close look to be honest) some viewers share those folders, some use their own.

Anyway, like I said, I'd strip SL from the computer and install a fresh viewer, hopefully that helps.

If it doesn't, going by the poor response to this thread, I'm afraid all you can do is use LL support.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.