Bandwitch Usage

ThatWasEpic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there,

I got a question regarding Bandwitch usage..My internet plan is that i get 10 gb of 2 mbps data per month and then it reduces to 512kbps (Unlimited) Which makes life tough..I started this game 6 days ago and played it almost day night i am super-addict to this game now.

I lost 5 Gb data usage in 8 days including a bit of browsing, not much though.

However i renewed the data now i got another 10 gb data to play with any suggestions how much i should play per day..i want to make a time table for it so i dont have to play with 512kbps..Also if there are any settings in the game which i can use to reduce game to take less Mb usage from the internet server

Thanks

Epic

Hi,

In the preferences you can reduce the bandwidth, however SL is set to a minimum of 512 kbps for a reason. 512 Is about the lowest SL needs, but you can try 400 and see if SL still works for you.

Be aware that SL is a bandwidth monster. I used about 60 Gig per month when i was online every day for a few hours, but i had set my bandwidth to 1000 - 1200. Should i go back to 512 i would still have used about 30 each month.

Two Options: upgrade your internet plan to or reduce your time online. Indeed don't listern to media at all in SL too to save kbps anyway in your case.

Good luck.

I suggest you look for other ISP's. You may find companies in your area that you are unware of. You may find a better deal from one of the smaller companies. Also, ask some of the computer stores and repair services in your area about low cost Internet Services. Check places like SpeedTest.net that compare services.

The Max Bandwith setting is a much debated setting. To understand clearly what it controls read: Understanding the Maximum Bandwidth Option in the Second Life™ Viewer. The setting is about SPEED, not quanitity.

With the cache set to the maximum size, avoid clearing your cache. Many consider it a first step in fixing any problem. Some time last year a new larger indexed cache was added to the viewer. Also HTTP protocol is now used for texture, mesh, and inventory download. It is MUCH more reliable than the previous UDP protocol. Cache corruption is way less frequent now. But, most people have not registered the change and still give the old advice to clear the cache.

There is little one can do to reduce the volume of data downlaoded for SL. The suggestions on music, video, and draw distance are about it.

• 3 weeks later...

My advice assuming your in the UK because you mentioned your on BT get rid of them and switch to Virgin Media new customers can get about 30mg download speed unlimited usage and it is because im on SL everyday for 16 hours sometimes and for * hours of that through the night i sit and watch movies(yes I have that many 500+) and the last i saw they were charging about £15 a month for 30meg a phoneline and basic TV package plus its fibre optic cable so what you pay for you get im on 50 meg going up to 100meg in march and out of 50 i receive 49,58 DL speed and nearly 5mg upload my dl speed to dallas SL server is over 22 meg DL so the bandwith thing is a loss on me people tell me to take DL speed and x10 well your bandwidth dont go up to 200,000kbpsso i leave it at 2000,anyway good luck.:matte-motes-grin:

Another vote for Virgin if you are UK.  Used it for many years.  Reliability is excellent and the speed you get is pretty much as advertised - certailnly not the case with many other providers.  Years back I had BT and speed was hopeless.  Check out the Virgin special offers, as another poster has said.

Hey Epic,

You can try this service it basically is called Vpryvpn.  Here is their website.  https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn   What it does is the you will log into their service and it will encrypt your connection.  The primary advantage is the ISP can't monitor your connection or how much you download.  I had friends that used this service that were on download caps, and liked it.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.