Textures showing as fluorescent colors

Latch Castaignede

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Latch

Thank you for providing a photo to show us your problem. And ouch. That looks like a sign that your graphics card is on it's way out.

However, if you were attempting to run too many windows, ie two SL viewers, or loads of graphically heavy programs, you may get this effect in SL.  And if your computer has lots of dust build-up inside it, that would cause graphics card to wear out faster too.

Other advice will follow. 

It could also be corrupted cache or a corrupted inventory server. I've had the same recently, or similair anyway. Now it's fien and I did clear cache in the meantime. Do others see it too? in that case it's on a server I'd say. If it's only you, it could be the cache.

I had a graphics card that was killed by SL, that gave entirely different colorscemes though. Not per texture, although that could be possible I guess.

What kind of video card do you have and how old is it? Can you monitor the temperature on it?

Video card is approx 2to3 years old.

NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT

I dont know how to measure temp.

And there you go!! As I was writing this i CLEARED BROWSER CACHE and CLEARED DISK CACHE and CLEARED COOKIES and its FIXED!!

Everything is back to normal.

Clearing cache did the trick. great response time and great help. Thanks guys!!

Great to hear you got it fixed.

Even though it wasn't your graphics card, it's good to check your temperatures every now and then when the card is under load. Since you have an nVidia card, you could use "NVIDIA Monitor", I thnk it's included in the driver downloads, so you should have it. You could also use speedfan It's free and it will show you all kinds of temperatures, including your processor and graphics card. The card that was killed by SL shot up to well over 80 C as soon as I loaded SL. This was because of the passive cooling on the card, yours has active cooling. Still it never hurts to check.

• 6 months later...

Im Having The Same Issue - When It Happens I Log Out Of Second Life For A While - Come Back Its Normal -

This ONLY Happens With Second LIfe....NO Other Program Or 3D Game - JUST SECOND LIFE

Screen Shot Click Here

Second Life 3.3.4 (262321) Jul 24 2012 04:02:05 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2400.08 MHz)
Memory: 3322 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTS/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0013.0142

• 1 year later...

Same issue here.  Linux, GeForce GT 425M, Nouveau drivers.

It worked to delete ~/.secondlife entirely, but only for a single play session.  Re-launching the viewer causes the rendering to be corrupt again.

If things only work when there's no cache at launch time, it suggests that something in the cache is being written or read corruptly.  I'm returning to SL after not playing for a year or so, so I wonder if something in my inventory was never upgraded.

I'll work around the issue by writing a script to delete ~/.secondlife before each launch.

Thanks!

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

You posted the windows drivers, I suggest you better get the latest NVidia drivers from their site.

The SL viewers in Windows report the drivers as: "Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0013.0142". However, it does not mean that it is a driver which came with Windows installation. That driver is NVidia's driver, but a bit old one.

Anyway, it's good to check is there a newer one available at NVidia.

And there is a very new one, suitable for OP's card, released on 10th March 2014 - GeForce 335.23 Driver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.