looking for help starting new store

emmettcullen93

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI Emmett.

Post a list of specific questions that you have in this thread and we can answer them for you. You will get a broader set of opinions that way and tap a much wider larger knowledge base. This thread can then be referenced by other people looking for the same advice.

If you are specifically looking for a personal business adviser to work one on one with you then maybe move this thread to the Inworld Employment section of the forums.

I think Porky is right, some specific questions would make it easier.

Unless you are very wealthy, I would suggest you start small and then grow as you need to.

If you check the official statistics you will discover there are 200 Gazillion stores here already, so think hard about branding, when your customers leave, you need them to know where it was they just went and to remember it for the future. This doesnt have to mean paying a builder hundreds of dollars to make a posh megastore (although it can), small and quaint or eccentric in character can work just as well, I have had great success selling from an enormous flying cake!.

Anyways, post some questions, plenty of people here will enjoy answering them.

You might want to rent a Store in an established  Shopping Square which has some decent traffic to begin with. You're ideally looking for a Shopping Square that has a piece of land cut underneath each shop so you can advertise & market it. If all the neighbouring Merchants are advertising and marketing....you'll benefit from some cross-traffic too.

I think that's probably the most cost effective way to start out. Europhia sim is a good example of how that might work, they are always looking for new and unknown creators (Fashion sector)...they do a lot of events and off site advertising. I would go that route to begin with as opposed to buying/ renting a plot of land in the middle of nowhere and then plonking a shop on top of it.

LOL, almost the same for me Pamela.  I built something like 24 sims before I realized that I had made a lot of stuff.  They where all corporate sims and no longer online where I said hmmmmmmm, and set my better stuff for sale.

I guess the point is, there is no right or wrong, it's still the wild west for the most part.  Treat your customers how you want to be treated, lay your store how you would want to shop and most important, make what makes you happy.  If you approach this as a business to make money, you may or may not succeed but if you approach this as something you are really excited to do, regardless of the money, in part you will always succeed.

You cannot sell what is directly in your inventory since nobody can get to it.

You CAN sell items that you have, depending on permissions but you'll need to make them available in world by putting them either inside a prim to sell either the prim or its content, or by rezzing the item and selling either it or its content.

emmettcullen93 wrote:

is it possible for me to start a store inworlld and sell the items in my inventory? or must i create items? I am also looking for a business partner in this as well.

If you just want to sell off unwanted stuff from your inventory there are yard sales.

If you want to start a business, well yes you need to create something.

If you're just thinking starting a business selling freebies etc from other creators...while it's not generally against TOS to sell off freebies, it is lame and pointless and just annoys people when they find out they paid for a freebie. Unless you have something original to contribute, don't bother.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Unless you have something original to contribute, don't bother.

Yep -- that was the point of my little story, too.  Only when I had a very small store full of stuff I created myself did I open a store.  Creation comes first, then business, IMO. 

Again, what is your skill set?  There are many forms of creativity in sl from scripts to prefabs, textures to sim surrounds, clothing to hair, and on and on...   Also, different construction materials, software programs, etc.

Find what you are good at & most importantly, what you enjoy doing & go from there.  Then find something unique to create that sets you apart from the rest .... something that fills a niche or that others want & you are on your way.

Finding a store inworld or setting up one on marketplace is the last step in the process. Your cart is not only before the horse, the horse has not been born yet!

Good luck & have fun!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.