Is language translation currently available in Second Life chat?

Becca Vichan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

Yes you can get language translation in SL.  The current viewer support Google and Bing.  The problem with Google is that service is no longer free.  Google started charging for use of their translator API a few months ago.  Bing is still free but you do need to go get an account in order to use it. 

--Cinn

You have a few choices.  Google used to offer its Translate API as a free service, but they pulled the plug on that option in December.  Because most of the translators in SL depended on it, they are now disabled.  However ....

1. If you have a current version of Linden Lab's "official" V3 viewer, or have one of the latest versions of Firestorm, you can still use the Google API if you subscribe to their paid service.  All you have to do is enter your account number in the appropriate spot in Preferences >> Chat.

2. You can do the same thing with Bing's free translation service.  You do have to get a Bing account number and enter it the same way you would enter a Google subscription number.

3. There are a few translators sold in world that don't depend on any of those services.  Because it's not always clear whether a specific one was written to use the Google system (and is therefore non-functional today), I think it would be wise to favor ones that let you try a demo before buying.

• Like 1

Google translate no longer properly translates chat anymore another solution is needing to be acuired cause google said they will not gurantee any compatiablilty to sl at all and refuses to communicate with Linden Labs. I ask Linden Labs if you are reading this please allow open apping for all translators cause I can no long communicate with anyone that speaks another language in sl. The app I pay for doesn't translate my chat at all and is no longer functioning with secondlife please help!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.