A Question about Twitter

I3ree

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wondering why you read about people apologizing for what they tweeted about something or someone. Seems to be only Twitter that people do that on. Doesn't the 1st Amendment apply on Twitter? Free speech.

Should Second Life have a SLitter? lol

I3ree wrote:

Wondering why you read about people apologizing for what they tweeted about something or someone. Seems to be only Twitter that people do that on. Doesn't the 1st Amendment apply on Twitter? Free speech.

If someone tweets something that they later feel merits an apology (and I don't think it's limited to Twitter...), why shouldn't they apologize if they feel that they should, or even if they just want to? How might that ever become a "free speech" issue? Is someone forcing them to apologize?

Second Life has the SLums (feeds). That's quite enough (or too much, depending on who you ask).

I3ree wrote:

NO NO NO Who cares what a twit says except another twit?  I can actually converse in an intelligent manner with anyone in SL at anytime we are both on line and we want to talk.  I don't need to hear twits go on about their RL and I get enough spam thank you without having to read all the other stupid things people twitter about!

The worst thing about Twitter and SL is that our illustrious head Linden chooses to twit about issues instead of using the more direct means available to him that SL already has and that reaches far more customers than any twit would.  But maybe that's his game.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The worst thing about Twitter and SL is that our illustrious head Linden chooses to twit about issues instead of using the more direct means available to him that SL already has and that reaches far more customers than any twit would.  But maybe that's his game.

Being stupid is a game these days?

I imagine he does it because it's an ego trip for him - so he can purr about how many "followers" (is that what they call them?) he has; i.e. how popular he is, even though the popularity is false.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Being stupid is a game these days?

I imagine he does it because it's an ego trip for him - so he can purr about how many "followers" (is that what they call them?) he has; i.e. how popular he is, even though the popularity is false.

People justifiably complain that there is not enough communication between LL and their customers.  By using twitter, he can say he does communicate but the "game" is to limit  what he says (he can claim its not his fault because he's limited to a certain number of characters) and who sees his comments (only other twits who follow him) and thus potential public criticism. 

I wondered why the Lab's CEO prefers to communicate via Twitter and ignores the company's official forums or blogs (although he does seem to like making occasional quick posts to his my.secondlife feed) but, I couldn't come up with an explanation. Thanks for providing your insight Amethyst. Your theory makes a ton of sense.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.