Mainland land purchase pricing

johnboy Snoodle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I feel that SL is holding back many merchants expand by their 'lump' pricing, ie: if one has the amount of land allowed in the 'lump' figure then to just take another 512 over the top of this means that we have to pay the full amount of the next level?This is WRONG, after a certain amount of land has been purchased, say, 8192, then the pricing should be adjusted to pay for extra land at a 512 plot price, this would allow for extra land to be purchased allowing people to expand and place new shops or extend the shops they have without being hit with double the fees they are paying at present.  I would like to open another shop but I am damned if I am going to double the land use fees by going over into the next level as it is at the moment.  In this time of financial struggle world wide then SL should think about adjusting prices, or at least the way they charge for land, at present they are cutting their own throats because by pricing the way they do they are stopping more revenue to themselves with people like me holding back with further land purchase, a very short sighted view I think.

There is an easy solution.  You can rent tier from other residents.  The way it works is that you make a group to own the land (which by itself gives you a ten percent bonus), and you pay someone who has more tier than she needs to donate it to your group.  There are people who make a business of doing this.

Agree, johnboy....at first, I gradually bought more mainland, as business improved. Now, I'm all tiered out at $40/month, and would love to expand my mainstore a little, but the tier almost doubles to $75- much more than I intend to spend per month for land (my tier is in addition to commercial rentals on other sims.)

I'd love to increase tier in $10/month increments. Then it's not so scarey. 

(Bring on the nitpickers. Honey Badger don't care.)  :D

I think you should be charged a per square meter or per prim supported multiplied by the actual amount of you own not by some artificial step plan.  This is one of a few reasons that I will never own mainland. Tiers in private estates are a bit higher, but because I am actually charged by the sqm or by the prim, I only have to pay for what I can actually use.  In my case, even the 512 sqm tier free and group 10% bonus etc won't make up for the difference of a step increase when you only add a small plot.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

In my case, even the 512 sqm tier free and group 10% bonus etc won't make up for the difference of a step increase when you only add a small plot.

This was my dilemna a few years back when i had 1 Mainland Sim +10% Group bonus. An extra 16 sqm addition would have meant a jump in Tiers from $195 to $292.50....a crazy prospect!

The cheapest option was to take out an annual fee for an Alt account.....which allowed me to go up in sensible steps thereafter.

Yes, more incremental increases would be nice, and the hit for extra purchases by full sim owners is a bit silly - not sure what the thinking was there.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

As I said above, you can rent any amount of tier you need for people who are in the business of renting it out.  If you want contact info for them, send me a PM here or an IM in world.

Problem is, renting for your primary business location is fraught with risk, no matter how "reliable" the landlord is.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Problem is, renting for your primary business location is fraught with risk, no matter how "reliable" the landlord is.

I have been renting tier from the same people for approximately four years.  During that time, they have been unfailingly reliable and responsive.  Sure, there is no guarantee that the future will be like the past, but they do have a good record.  there are at least three of them who ar RL friends and relatives, so they have good depth in terms of someone being available when needed.  The only thing I've need them for was to rent me more tier when I wanted to buy more land.

I would think that in most cases where a business owner wanted to add a small amount of land that would put her into the next tier bracket that she could divide her land into one large plot that contained important things and a smaller plot that contained only unimportant things.  She could create a second land group to own the smaller plot and rent the necessary tier, so that she would incur no risk at all to anything important.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.