Suggestion: Estate Secure Channel

Ethen Pow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, I seen issues with making games and they can't really grow with insecure channels, granted you get can millions of diffirent channels but sooner or later you will find someone that will have the time to find the channel or get a scirpt form a item that glitched etc. etc.

since there was no other place to make this, I suggest that estate owners and managers can setup secure channels

how it works that any object that wants to use the channel, the creator of that object must be on the safelist to listen or talk on that channel otherwise it will give errors or return the object.there is a safelist for said channels(which 4-5 secure channels should be good enough) estate owners and managers can manage the list BUT can not use the channels unless they are on that list if the object is under their name.

so this will allow game makers that want to make LARGE platforms not to worry about people glitching/hacking or cheating their system without a estate owner or manager doing it. It can allow sim owners that run the game can keep them secure and able to grow without needing to make overneeded code to make their game more secure.

other than that the channels operate normally, IE, shout and whisper still apply the same.

I dunno if Linden labs is making this in their "new tools" they are making, but I'd like to make sure its said and maybe added in.

I fully support this idea. For big games it is indeed problematic if you make a mistake ONE time and someone has the script (or the permission system of SL messes up), then no matter how good your security, it's fully compremised. There needs to be SOME way of making sure only scripts that were last compiled by one person, or a group of person, is allowed to communicate with the game system. Checking the creator (as creator is defined now) is still a bit problematic. If someone finds an item with a modifyable script, the creater will remain the same for the item, even if the script is modifyed by another person.

So the best idea is to use the key of the person who last compiled (saved) the script for any security related system, not the creater of the object.

You don't need them, it is easy for any script writer to make a secure channel, only those not fully skilled will make that mistake and in which case you should not use it.

Very bad idea as it will make most market place items useless and people demanding their money back, as I make games, I find it very odd that you should think there is a channel problem, could you give some examples?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.