Prim Contents Updater?

Usive

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This would require more than just inworld scripts, you would need to address a web server, and I think I am right in saying the object itself would have to be replaced as part of the update, i.e. object contacts server to check for update, if update is available new version is sent to the object owner, old version kills itself.

Depends on the application but it might be easier to have no contents in the object and just have it operate like a vendor, where it contacts an inworld server via the web and the inworld server sends the item

Either way you won't do it with LSL alone.

I know it's doable. I I use the UUID and just don't unrez the master prim, just change the contents I don't see what the issue would beBTW. I understand scripting but can't do it, so that's why I don't do it myself.

And, I can't just use a vendor system as this is for an already complex system... never thought the damn updater would be the big issue.

If they are exact duplicates UUID wise I don't think they need to. The reason they can't telll a copybotted item from a legit one is because a UUID for any copy is the same as the original, so just have the UUID change to match that of the master prim, perhaps have the UUID configurable via chat command, when you say the UUID it updates itself?

I am not a scripter but I know what you are suggesting is incorrect and impossible.

UUIDs are not the same for copies as originals even with copybotted items.

You cant 'have a UUID change'

You cant configure a UUID via chat command

and even if you could how would the user know when to do it?

Sorry this has ended up a battle rather than some advice, but I will say again, this cannot be achieved with LSL alone  

Usive wrote:

I know it's doable. I I use the UUID and just don't unrez the master prim, just change the contents I don't see what the issue would beBTW. I understand scripting but can't do it, so that's why I don't do it myself.

There are two functions that I know of that will get content into prims:-

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGiveInventory  Pay particular attention to the bit that says "If destination is an object then it must be in the same region."

The other is http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRemoteLoadScriptPin  Pay particular attention to the bit that says "

• If target is not in the same region an error is shouted on DEBUG_CHANNEL."

In other words, neither of these will permit you to update the content of a prim in a region OTHER than the master prim in your case.

There is a reason that all those who update objects like vendors, rez a script updater for example, in each region while doing the update.  It would be lovely to just have a master one that did it all remotely but I don't believe there's a way.

Low and behold it IS possible to some degree. Now, you say it can not be done if on another parcel/sim, but then how can an updater script work for objects anywhere in SL? And no, the answer is not through an external server, product updates are done by script, so surely there is a way to do this.

As for the contents issue, perhaps have it work like a normal updater then, but send the person in question an object that when rezzed, updates the contents of any prims on the sim that contain the proper script, and then deletes itself and its contents... IDK. HippoUpdater isn't working so I was hoping to find an alternative such as this.

Usive wrote:

Low and behold it IS possible to some degree. Now, you say it can not be done if on another parcel/sim, but then how can an updater script work for objects anywhere in SL? And no, the answer is not through an external server, product updates are done by script, so surely there is a way to do this.

As for the contents issue, perhaps have it work like a normal updater then, but send the person in question an object that when rezzed, updates the contents of any prims on the sim that contain the proper script, and then deletes itself and its contents... IDK. HippoUpdater isn't working so I was hoping to find an alternative such as this.

That's the point of my post.  Updaters do NOT work for objects anywhere in SL.

The usual process is to rez the original object, it contacts the central server to see if there's a more update to date version, if there is it's sent to the owning avatar.

The owning avatar rezzes the updater and that then uses llRemoteLoadScriptPIN to update the content of all the objects in the same sim that need updating.  This is how we do our vendors and products.

The object that needs to be updated will need to be able to communicate to a server prim which is always rezzed somewhere in world and check for updatres.  So this could be triggered when it is rezzed or on some time schedule, and done via object to object email, or something.  The main issue is that if an object is taken into inventory, when it is re-rezzed it has a new uuid..  but if the server prim is always rezzed in world then you can give the object that needs to check for updates the servers uuid, which in turn would translate into the server prims email address.  Once contact is established, the checking prim can give the server prim its current uuid, then the update can be done. 

So that is a bit of a tongue twister, but such are the logistics of what you want.  Depending on what you want to update you may neeed to send an updater object to be rezzed next to the object that needs the update, but check this script

http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=LibraryProductUpdateServer2

I own a vendor system as well as other things that aren't replaced when an update occurs.  However I am sent  a prim or prims through a distribution server that i must rez next to the object to be updated.  I have never seen or heard an update being done in the manner that you describe without a web server that is in communication with the product..

As far as why you can not find the scripts, not everything that is possible in LSL is available in a script you can buy or obtain for free, particularly advanced scripting.  If you can't write the necessary script yourself, you'll need to hire a scripter to do it for you and be prepared to pay a lot of money not only for the scripting service but to obtain one full perm.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3867 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.