Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CaramelBombshell

Is Mesh really worth it? *Fashionista Blog*

Recommended Posts

Okay do not get me wrong, Im going Gaga for Mesh like everyone else is. But the thought of being seen fabulous by one crowd and naked and bald by another is really scary. Im not saying not to ever go Mesh, Im just saying do you think you should wait for the viewers to catch up? To me its just like wearing labels in rl, if I have to constantly tell you who is it, then its NOT worth it. In my opinion expensive things should brag on there own without me having to say, ''oh by the way this mesh''. Just to be told in return, ''oh I thought you were just doing the bald look'' O.o Fashion-Hell-No. Personally. Im going to wait awhile, and spend all the money I was going to spend on mesh on other awesome expensive stuff *kisses 975L Maitreya Gold Shearling Boots Black* :heart:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many viewers do you say can't see mesh?  

I can see holding off buying rigged mesh clothes and hair until Qarl's deformer is rolled out properly, so you can get stuff to fit properly without having to resort to lots of alpha layers, but I really don't think that you're now going to run into many people using viewers that can't see mesh at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it, what's the big deal if someone without a mesh enabled viewer sees you? Mostly likely they know its mesh and its not big thing. Just a silly little sphere.

I can't run mesh currently. I understand its supposed to make things run faster but each viewer I try just runs so slow for me. I'll stick with Phoenix Beta.

I love the way it looks though. For someone who loves anthro I can't wait to see what can be done with it. No more worrying about alpha layers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


MuffinUnsane wrote:

The way I see it, what's the big deal if someone without a mesh enabled viewer sees you? Mostly likely they know its mesh and its not big thing. Just a silly little sphere.

 

Its the simple fact that, some Mesh things are expensive. Your not buying expensive stuff just so you and a couple others can see it. If that's the case what's the point? The whole idea of Mesh is to look better and more realistic. But if all people see is a sphere when they look at you, your basically paying over 500L to wear a sphere o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Innula Zenovka wrote:

How many viewers do you say can't see mesh?  

Im not exactly sure the number. I myself see it I use Firestorm 3.2, but my friend who uses Phoenix cannot see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend who hates it because she loves HER shape.  I love mesh clothing.  Well-done (not all are) mesh skirts look so much better than any others, and sweaters look like sweaters.  I think desingers in general have not fully developed their mesh skills yet.  I agree that it's not the best situation to have to accept what amounts to a shape chosen by a clothing maker.  However, I have some things that come in five sizes, so it's not an huge problem.  Also, for loose clothing that doesn't closely follow body shape, like sweaters, it's not a problem.  My attitude about price is that an exxceptionally good product is worth paying more for.  One good side effect of mesh is that designers have to offer demos, so I can actually see what a germent looks like on me before I buy, just like RL.I have bought a lot of clothing that did not look nearly as good on me as it did in the picture.  Some was so bad I just deleted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


CaramelBombshell wrote:

Okay do not get me wrong, Im going Gaga for Mesh like everyone else is. But the thought of being seen fabulous by one crowd and naked and bald by another is really scary. Im not saying not to ever go Mesh,
Im just saying
do you think you should wait for the viewers to catch up?
 

 

All of the viewers that will ever catch up have.

There are no viewers being anymore that don't support mesh.

Anyone not able to see mesh at this point is intentionally avoiding it.

Either they've got bad preferences / install, in a small camp that are still bugged out, were bugged out in a past version and are afraid little prim monsters will eat them if they try again, or they're just curmudgeny.

- There's nothing you can do for some of these folks. The rest will be with us shortly when they get a non-bugged upgrade.

 

And I know you're just saying - you just typed it. <--- I just typed this. <--- I also just typed that. <---- Plus I typed that bit. <---- and then I typed that there.

(Some 'filler phrases' are best left behind as they 'devalue' the speaker).

 

Being in 'fear' over other people will see in terms of little computer cartoons on their screen... not an ideal course of action.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


CaramelBombshell wrote:


MuffinUnsane wrote:

The way I see it, what's the big deal if someone without a mesh enabled viewer sees you? Mostly likely they know its mesh and its not big thing. Just a silly little sphere.

 

Its the simple fact that, some Mesh things are expensive.

I've been buying skirts, pants, and shirts in the 150-250L range. A lot of this is cheaper than many prim, sculpty, and painted-on clothes.

 

Likewise, Ive been shifting to mesh furniture in my home because it is -lower- prim-cost than prim, higher than sculpty, but quicker to render.

Of course, I've also discovered that the prim cost of mesh items depends on their scale. If you scale them down smaller, the cost goes -DOWN-. Making mesh houses and furniture best for people on 'to-scale' avatars (such as usually under 6' tall for female) or even tinies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

And I know you're just saying - you just typed it. <--- I just typed this. <--- I also just typed that. <---- Plus I typed that bit. <---- and then I typed that there.

(Some 'filler phrases' are best left behind as they 'devalue' the speaker).

 

Being in 'fear' over other people will see in terms of little computer cartoons on their screen... not an ideal course of action.

 

 

 

Okay what does it have to do with this post?? Honestly your post would have been way more meaning without all the extra. You dont have to be a smart ass to get your point across <---yea i said that <---yea i ment that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I have a friend who hates it because she loves HER shape.  I love mesh clothing.  Well-done (not all are) mesh skirts look so much better than any others, and sweaters look like sweaters.  I think desingers in general have not fully developed their mesh skills yet.  I agree that it's not the best situation to have to accept what amounts to a shape chosen by a clothing maker.  However, I have some things that come in five sizes, so it's not an huge problem.  Also, for loose clothing that doesn't closely follow body shape, like sweaters, it's not a problem.  My attitude about price is that an exxceptionally good product is worth paying more for.  One good side effect of mesh is that designers have to offer demos, so I can actually see what a germent looks like on me before I buy, just like RL.I have bought a lot of clothing that did not look nearly as good on me as it did in the picture.  Some was so bad I just deleted it.

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth I was just getting ready to post something like that. Ive had my curvy shape since ive been a member here and I love it. And that is something about Mesh I have noticed also is there sizes. Which still kinda confuses me. Good Post :smileywink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something seemed to go wrong with Mesh between the v2.6 Beta code and the v2.7 Release. Frame rates plummetted.

I'm not sure that the cause was, strictly, bugs in the Open GL system. The calls the LL code used were pretty ancient, and the driver code seemed to change in ways that slowed those calls down. But it wasn't just SL that was affected. And that doesn't explain some of the other evidence.

It's arguable that Linden Lab wasn't paying attention to the Open GL side of things. There's been a lot of work done to fix the problems, but maybe a bit of forethought would have avoided the problems.

The coincidence meant that people blamed Mesh, the new feature. But both Kirsten's and Cool VL Viewer were available with Mesh code based on v2.6, and showed much higher frame-rates. And I have no idea why they didn't get hit by the Open GL problems.

I think the Lindens shot themselves in the foot with Mesh. Part of that is some poor communication--the Linden Disease--over why the Mesh Viewer messed up the customer experience, and what was being done to fix it. If you want to find out what is happening you have to read a lot of Geek-speak in a scattering of JIRA entries, and I don't think that is good enough. The Viewer developers even seem to have a problem annoucing the new versions of the Viewer.

I admit that I don't like the Linden Viewer, for various reasons, but they persist in hiding their light under a bushel. Mesh did coincide with major problems, affecting you even without any Mesh in a region. They're getting it fixed. And they're not doing a good job of telling us. Is it any wonder people are still refusing Mesh Viewers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As pointed out before, one big bad thing is the size problem.

Even if clothes come in 5 ... sizes there might be none matching ur shape really.

Skirts; yes the look good but only at tight mini skirts. Gowns long dresses .... are stiff and look like plastics.

Last; a thing a friend of mine, for which i created a complete mesh outfit especially for her shape without the need to hide half her body, pointed me to the physics problem. Even with the mesh deformer if you made your breast move a tiny bit when walk or dance ... they will always stick out tops.

I think only a few people cannot see mesh because limitations about their PCs or personal preference to NOT see it.

But the above reasons make mesh useless for most clothes.

Shoes - Furniture - Cars ... are great things.

Monti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear my mesh regardless of what others say.  Especially since Maitreya and Celoe released their new fabulous clothing and shoes. Some people still use viewers who dont support alphas and even  a pair of  updated shoes would look weird to them. Its wrong to limit your exp just to please other people :smileyvery-happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do.  I buy mesh because I love the textures and styling, and I don't give a hoot if you can't see it.  I learned a long time ago you can't control how anyone sees you in SL, so you may as well please yourself.  And I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*raises her hand at not seeing mesh clothing* I am using Phoenix because of the issues with building with V2/3 viewers, and while it seems to work for mesh building components, it doesn't work well for clothing.  I still see lots of bald women, naked,  with only 1/2 a body at that.  It is most unappealing to see, and makes me laugh to myself at how ridiculous they look.   I will wait till Qarl's deformer is rolled out before I even think of spending any money with any designer.  I think there are more folks out there using older viewer than what is thought, especially with old builders.

As I have posted elsewhere,  I am not going to alter my body shape for what some designer thinks it should look like, heaping layers of alphas on is not the answer, but that is my personal choice. To me, mesh clothing is too expensive.  I understand it is new and I understand  the cost of upload, and a learning curve in order to create, but still some of the costs I have seen are simply ridiculous in this economic downturn.   But, I keep forgetting the greed factor that is common in humankind.   I barely make enough with what I create to reinvest in my business let alone be able to afford over priced mesh that doesn't necessarily look that great in my opinoin.  Plus, to me when I chose to use Firestorm, mesh is still pretty static and doesn't flow.  It reminds me of the clothes in the old day before flexi prims.

I think I am glad I am not a fashionista that has to keep up with all the latest!  LOL...I still wear some of the well crafted clothing from when I started back in 2005.  Good luck folks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you asked in the Firestorm/Phoenix help group why you can't see rigged mesh?  I seem to recall that Phoenix needs you turn a couple of things on in preferences before it works properly,  but someone more familiar with that viewer than am I would be able to tell you for sure.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I haven't checked, but not that concerned about seeing what others wear.  I spend most of my time building; thus, the use of Phoenix.  But, if I do decide to get out some, I will do a web search.  My Groups are too full to add another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phoenix and most other TPVs support mesh rendering now. 

For those people who are using old viewers, simply upgrading to the newer release of their viewer of choice is often enough to get yourself on board. 

 

Charlar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of what I wear is free, including mesh. I don't have an income but some free/cheap stuff is better than what I would pay for.

 

Mesh is something I'm looking foward to getting settled. Most people don't seem to worry since the majority seems to use mesh. They know they look lovely so why care? If I see someone wearing mesh I just shrug and oogle the rest of their avatar. It makes great pants I hear.

 

As for shape, I personally have about ten I switch between. Since I make my own its easy to edit them. Its like skirt shapes~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run one of the newest viewers and have no problem seeing mesh.  If I saw something in mesh I really liked, I'd wear it regardless of what other's think, as I dress to please myself first.

However, I have not purchased any mesh yet because I really haven't seen anything that thrills me enough to spend money. Most mesh clothes I've seen looks dowdy or too much like the ordinary clothes I wear in RL.  Even when a mesh dress is supposed to be silk, the fabric looks too thick and more like 'blanket'.  Other than when I dress for business, I want to wear things that I wish I could in RL but can't.  That's part of my fun in SSL.

I don't care how many sizes are offered, I've found none that fit my avatar and I will not change my shape to wear it just for the sake of wearing mesh.  I also don't want to wear alpha layers to make it fit, because the garment will still obviously change my appearance to a different shape than what I want for my avatar or alpha layers would not be needed to 'hide' my shape.

I will consider mesh when we get a deformer that works so that mesh fits me well, when fabrics look the right thickness and flow gracefully as they should not  like a blanket made of thin foam rubber, and when designers master it better and offer high detailed designs that really grab me.  While I am willing to pay a lot for quality,  it seems that buying mesh now is not a good wardrobe investment  Anything offered now will become outdated immediately once the deformer is available and designers master it better  However if you are the kind of person that always wants the latest thing, go ahead and spend for it and enjoy it, its your SL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still use a non-mesh viewer mainly because I want to see for myself how much mesh is really being worn, and it's not as common as I thought it would be by now. Until I see more people wearing mesh, I'll keep my current viewer. I'm seeing mesh here and there, but often as not, no mesh in sight... I think mesh is great for building, but as for clothing or hair, eh, not so much, not yet anyway. Not dissing the mesh creators at all, their talent and effort there is amazing. The growing pains of getting settled into a new viewer isn't worth it for me yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use mesh and i love it, i use mesh cloths and i use mesh furniture on my cruise, whats the point of holding back when mesh is here to stay and is not gona go anywhere. Same as betther walking long distances rather than using the bike becouse it was just invented . Plus people can just derrez objects on you and you can go craizy that sombody sees your puxel nipple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...