Limited Extra Bones For Rigging

Kensuke Leviathan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I ran across a thread ages ago with a video showing someone using some fancy trickery to get attachment points to displace.  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/How-to-Morphing-avatar-meshes-sort-of/td-p/444963 Thread was short and had closed long before I got there but after a little practice I've had a chance to put the information to practical use.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi34y7Nt3_8&feature=player_embedded

The short and sweat of it is you can use SOME attachment points as bones, those bones retain thier position untill the client resets and can accept BVH animation just as any other joint in the SL skeleton, however it must match the name, in the case of the video above I used the Chin and Nose points to rig the blink while the Mouth point controls the..well mouth.  The downside I've found to this method is that you cant use any point that has a space in it, Left Pec, Right Pec, Left Ear, Right Ear, etc even renaming the joints in the DAE file cause..hilarious errors.

This method requires a lot of tweaking, chances are the first time you use it something will look odd, the upload view port is fairly acurate though so if you see a bunch of geometery floating in the distance..90% of the time you may want to look at your rigging again :P

Some tips, for those using maya you must have a full bone for these points other wise the exporter throws them out, so you'll have Chin and an end effector, the name doesn't matter it can't actually effect the skin.  For those in other packages..I have no idea, I haven't had the time to learn blender and my rigging experiments in 3d studio tend to end in frustration with the exporter :P 

So far I've tested the visablity in the Vanilla, Exodus, and Firestorm viewers and it seems to work pretty well.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.