Collada plugin for MAYA 2010

jjws888

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have hit a snag in uploading a rigged mesh avatar using MAYA. I've rigged it perfectly, everything is just how it should be. Only one problem, when i try to export it via the in-house DAE_FBX .dae, it wont recognize it in SL. (the rig i mean, the model shows up but no rig).

So I figure I must be using the wrong plugin, am I? Should I use OPENCollada?

My friend uses 2010 also, and he said to go to the plug-in manager and check off "COLLADA MAYA" but it isn't there.

Any help would be great, kudos to anybody that can give me a push in the right direction.

colladaMaya is internal name for the OpenCOLLADA plugin, in Maya. It won't appear in your plugin manager until and unless you have actually installed OpenCOLLADA. If you want it, grab it from opencollada.org.

I suspect that's not your problem though. Nine times out of ten, when someone says, "I've correctly done _________, but it didn't work," it's because they didn't actually do it correctly. The fact that you're able to upload unrigged models suggests the issue is with your rigging, not with the file format.

What skeleton did you use? Does it have the correct number of bones, in the right configuration? Do all the bones have the right names? Did you do a smooth bind? Did you remember to uncheck "Remove unused influences" in the bind options? Those are the most common pitfalls. Chances are you hit one or more of them.

As for OpenCOLLADA, I do prefer it myself over the stock FBX_DAE plugin, but they both do the job.

• Like 1

1) What skeleton did you use

I used the skeleton.mb file that I got on the forums

2) Does it have the correct number of bones/names/configuration?

26, yes, yes

3) Is it a smooth bind?

Yes

4) Did you remeber to uncheck "unused instances"

That wasn't in the tutorial so i tried it out but it didnt make a difference

So yes still very confused as to why it didnt work

Now that i know it's not with the file I think i'll try again, with a different model.

kudos anyway, at least you tried :P

THE FBX DAE plugin works fine for standard mesh, but it fails for Rigged mesh, Youneed to get the Opencollada plugin for rigged mesh to work. Also if the "Import Skin Weights" is grayed out in your SL importer a good chance is that the skeleton file is still no good. or that one has rotated a joint

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.