Computer crashes except one time

Yuna Ovis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I've got new laptop and I know some of my friends are having one and able to be online to SL so I tried and I didn't succeed, except one time! This time I was on SL for long time, not a moment before a crash, how come it worked and only one time? Is it 1 time it works to 10 times or more it crashes?

Would like to her as soon as possible,

Yuna

3 answers to this question

Posting your laptop specifications would be useful for people to help you. Also make sure you are not using wireless but a regular cable. Wireless is unstable whilst SL requires a constant bandwidth to run correctly.

You can give more information using the "Options" button at the upper right corner of your question. "Edit" to add text. :smileyhappy:

• Like 1

Does your friend use *EXACTLY* the same model laptop that you bought?  And do they connect to the internet in the same way you are doing?  With the same software, and the same service provider?

If so, you have a great resource.  Get together with your friend and see that your Windows services and options, and your graphics drivers, and your firewall settings, are the same as theirs. 

Check that you computer meets the System Requirements | Second Life.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste in your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of the question post.

We have no way to know what you may have changed in the Viewer. Your problem is often a problem of changed graphics settings. The easiest way to get your default settings back is to delete or rename the settings file. You will find it here on Vista & Win7: C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\Secondlife\user_settings\settings.xml

Another cause of problems suddenly popping up is the automatic update. By default the viewer will automatically look for updates and download new versions of the viewer. You will find the setting in Preferences->Setup. You can change the setting before or after login.

Auto-update is new to Second Life. It first appeared in late 2011. If you have a working system you may want to turn it off. Having a download of a working copy of the SL Viewer saved can be a handy thing. SL is a much more complex world than most virtual world games. Updates often break things for some small percentage of users. You’ll be hating it if you are in that percent and do not have a copy of an older version. However, you can get older versions here: Older Second Live Viewers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.