Second Life is to slow (Fashion,cars etc)

hamiltonRP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

If you have been onto GTA IV you will see the clothes they wear it is very simlar to the clothes we wear in SL (Mesh) it is very old crappy looking and its just not good enough, If you look onto lets say Saints row 3 the clothes and detail are amazing, Is SL going with the flow and doing stuff really slowly.. we could of had Mesh 3 years ago!

Thanks,

HamiltonRP 

Hi Hamilton :matte-motes-smile:

Firstly - Keep in mind that the content you see in SL is pretty much entirely created by the residents themselves, each with varying levels of skills (artistically and technically). Although it may appear somewhat backward when compared to modern era game graphics, the main joy for many residents (me included) is being ABLE to create content at all. SL I think is pretty unique in that regard - mayhaps difficult to understand unless one actually experiences the JOY that creating things yourself can bring. Sorta like Lego for grown-ups!

Secondly - Mesh has only recently been introduced into SL as a new form of content creation (around August last year to the main grid). Many residents who are new to mesh creation face a relatively steep learning curve initially (but still definitely worth persevering with!). As time goes by and the average skillsets mesh creators possess improve, the overall quality of mesh (builds, vehicles, clothing etc) should get better.

Thirdly - SL as a creative platform develops slowly behind the scenes. The fact that anybody can create pretty much anything they imagine in here, either by prims, sculpties, textures and mesh is pretty amazing, when you think about what needs to go on in the background to allow for this. So changes in the SL infrastructure tends to happen slowly - I can't begin to imagine how complicated it must be, especially when it comes to avoiding breaking existing content with minor changes.

So by its nature, SL can't hope to be cutting edge like the games you describe. Game studios have huge budgets and dedicated artistic teams to churn out content specifically optimised for their games. In here in SL, most content creators are at the hobbyist level - some for business reasons, but most (like myself) just create things for the artistic enjoyment of it.

So my suggestion: Just enjoy SL for what it is... a unique, user created community in a 3D environment (albeit often random in quality... but that random element is what brings the joy of unexpected discoveries).

:matte-motes-smile:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.