How do you usually report things like this found on marketplace?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unfortunately, the only ones who can file a DMCA for the item to be taken down due to copyright violation would be the copyright holders. If you feel strongly enough about it, you can try contacting 1) Apple (because it calls itself an iPod) and 2) Evanescence - or more correctly, their record label. They may or may not choose to do anything about it. Some companies are more vigorous about protecting their copyright than others.

Your best bet would be to go ahead and just look up one brands' registered trademarks on the MP, like "apple", "iphone", "ipad" etc.pp., collate them, then send them to the rights holders. The more offenders you find, the better your chances are that the rights holders will do something about it, especially since money does change hands. Some rights holders are ok with it, others are not.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

See, I don't see it as any of this is for 1 set of people. Something like MESH helps everyone. It needed to be done. The lag generated by doing things all with prims and sculpts was a big problem. Plus, they were very limited, unless you wanted to use thousands of them. Mesh is not just about better looking content, it is about efficient, better looking content. You can't blame people for not just using the default hair. Do you use the default hair Dillon? If you do not, then you will benefit massively from mesh/flexy hair. This means hundreds less textures for your PC to download, takes up less processing and rendering time. Plus, the more efficient geometry and physics. It is not just techy stuff for us creation geeks, but helps every1 in the most important ways. The end result is the world that you see, working better, faster, and more fun. I think, I just quoted
Phillip
. lol I'll stop here.

what eats at me is why did they wait 10 years to get to here?

could it be that they felt mesh would have dented the income and made the content too efficient and better quality too soon..that there was more money in letting everyone feel there was a chance to make money in SL..that anyone could create here..

i'm just curious of the reasons why they waited so long since it could have been put in at any time in the past..

i guess i am just wondering why they are pulling out all their aces now when there was a much better time to play them..

who knows really hehe

ETA: maybe Rodvik is the answer..

i hope so..

madman626 Fall wrote:

yay thanks i been looking for that thanks,,, really iam jokeing but LL wont do crap about it tell they file a dmca,, that beening said LL dont care tell they get told on .in other words it ok by LL

in other words they can't do a thing until the owner steps up..they have no idea who has permission to use what..

for all anyone knows..they have permission..it's just assumed they don't..where LL has to assume they do until told otherwise by the owner..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

madman626 Fall wrote:

yay thanks i been looking for that thanks,,, really iam jokeing but LL wont do crap about it tell they file a dmca,, that beening said LL dont care tell they get told on .in other words it ok by LL

in other words they can't do a thing until the owner steps up..they have no idea who has permission to use what..

for all anyone knows..they have permission..it's just assumed they don't..where LL has to assume they do until told otherwise by the owner..

^^^^^ This is so true ^^^^^^  

But it is interesting that in the "real world" you will find somewhere on the packaging a phrase like "used with permission," or "under license," or some similar phrase.

I can't remember ever seeing that in a marketplace ad. 

If someone who didn't hold a license used that phrase it could be construed as additional proof they were aware that they were stealing.  At least in my opinion.

The problem with illicit merchandise is that as soon as LL realizes it is illicit - which could be from a report inworld or on the marketplace, from anyone who happens across the merchandise in any way - it could be removed from the grid entirely. Which means that if I, in good faith, bought a skin from the marketplace that was actually an illicit copy of someone else's skin, I could, with no warning and no reimbursement, lose that skin. I would much rather have an option to report the skin on the marketplace, so that it can be removed and other people will not be able to buy that skin and later be ripped off by having it disappear.

The flip side of this is that, of course, if everyone minded their own business and no one reported any stolen content, nothing would disappear in this way. But would that be your preference, if someone copy one of your outfits and started selling it on the marketplace? That no one told you, and no one reported the stolen content, causing you to potentially lose money?

Not necessarily. For items like the one mentioned in the original post, you're right. It's highly unlikely that the creator of that item has permission from the copyright holder to use that name, but not impossible, so you're very corrent that that would likely be a waste of time. However, I was responding to a post that was, in turn, a response to a post mentioning skins - how, when the poster searched the marketplace for skins, she saw many, many illicitly copied skins. In this case, it can be fairly easy to determine who has the right to distribute the skins. Most skin creators - particularly the very popular skin creators - have a particular and defined style that can be identified by the experienced without much difficulty and with a great deal of accuracy. Most of those creators specify that they and only they have the right to distribute those skins, so if I were to encounter on the marketplace a skin I identified as belonging to LAQ, and you were the seller, for instance, it would be nice to immediately be able to report that skin so that it might be taken down quickly.

Of course, I could also inform the owner of LAQ; but perhaps she is on vacation, and can't be in SL for a time, and doesn't get my message for a while - or at all, if SL eats it (as so often occurs). She loses money in the meantime, and more and more copies of this illicit item are sold, meaning if and when the item is finally taken down, more and more people lose money on it.

This is just one instance, of course. It would be nice to have a reporting system, though, even if it weren't something as simple as "click here if you think this item violates copyright/IP!"

ETA: Bouttime, I do not need to be patronized, thank you. I understand perfectly well. If I see any copies of your items out there, rest assured I will not waste my time or yours informing you. Enjoy your Second Life.

well i wasn't trying to patronize you, sorry. but the point is made none the less. you all should know better.

rat yourselves out for all i care, in the end you will be a victim of somebody else's interpretation of what is right and wrong. you will be innocent and it won't matter.

the sentiment that started this thread is where fascism is born.  sorry for those that don't see that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.