Popular Welcome Area Maintenance and mediator/admin needed Lindins needed

Hammerstrong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Crashings every day 20+ times per day, Right now there are people that find it to be absolutly funny to crash sims with many people in them just to get their jollys off,  Im not here to degrade or downtalk anyone, but these crashes are causing real damage others computer equipment,

and possibly Lindin Labs servers themselves, lately, in the welcome enter of Korea 1, 2, 3, and 4, There has been malatious attacks agains the simulators themselves, causing them to crash and stay down, And or, when comming back up, not allowing people ot entere without causing a client crash, its a ghost town that nobody can enter,

some of these areas are for hte most part, the best part of SL, its an open forum for people to generalize and talk among friends and strangers alike, to get help and to offer help, outside the controll of lindin labs, A sim truly worth keeping up to date and online,

Note: Kroea 3 and Korea 2 are the main welcome area Hubs, with all the destination boards, help areas, and hotstop board, Now the only problem is, The areas are now "NO SCRIPTS"  and hence the areas ment to guide new people, its useless because they are "Bricked" from running scripts as well,

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Hammerstrong

Unfortunately, all anyone can do is relog and submit an abuse report from a safe location, to alert LL there is a griefing attack taking place in whichever of the welcome sims/info hubs.  It isn't practical or possible for a Linden staff member to be policing each and every welcome sim.

My own personal opinion is that anyone with any sense soon moves on from these sims and ventures into the rest of the world that is Second Life. There are certainly plenty of places to meet up with great people for chats and to swap notes, and in fact I am still in touch with several of the people I knew from my Korea days.

There was recently a beta test of a new welcome area, in the form of two Greeter Island sims.  These were manned by Helper-surnamed avatars, and I was hoping these would eventually take the place of the original welcome sims.  There seemed to be no griefing at all, lots of friendships were made, and people were on hand to offer help, advice, and pointers of what to do next. However, now the Greeter Island sims are closed, there has been an update of the Viewer so this facility is not currently available. 

Aside form the matter, few minutes after the post all 4 sims went on restart countdown,

And also, Welcome areas are not all just newbies looking for help, there is actually communites that dont want anything else to do with second life other then chat on an open public forum voice and text, myself included, We dont find alot of the aspects of second life appealing,

for us, its is a 3d chat program, and people have been comming to these areas since they open and have made many friends, true that people do venture out and do things on SL to their liking, but many patorns of the welcome area hangout groups, always spend time at them, just have a visit to certain spots around SL welcome areas youll notice many people talk to and act as friends, and many only come on sl to be in their areas,

Its on a whole different level then most of SL, Its more personal and Real, By real i mean keeping it real, real names, real pictures, real video chat rooms and just shoot the SH*T so to speak, that is how many like it, only problem is that even tho its great that they are public areans for new ppeople to meet and greet, also a curse they are public and LL controlled, with no form of adminship, And the main thing, anyone form these areas will sware to, is that Abuse reports, dont work, the same griefers the same trolls stay for very long peroid of times, months and if enough time goes by and enough people report the accounts get banned, but hey, whats stoppping them from jumping on another character, I have whitnessed steps taken by LL to get rid of the griefers and the mute button works great, BUT, i watch griefers stand in an adjescent sim and clickc on an object in the sim, and crash it. many many times, something is out of wack. Thank you for your imput and response, and hope thigs always get better

PS. Bring back last names ! i missed my change at  one when they were still doing them and i had no clue, and now realize how much they do mean to people's avitars isntead of the dreaded "RESIDENT" STAMP

Also, I disagree with MArigold, Ive been on sl for a long time and korea seems to be the place I go to the most due to the fact that all of my friends hang out there... I mean korea has A LOT of traffic....and the majority of the traffic is not new avatars it is people like me that come there to chat with a group of people ... since there are new people coming into the sim all the time.....its a way to meet new people as well....

As easy as it is to say "you need to venture else where" it really is not as easy as that....and it is an easy way to escape a real problem in second life. I mean hell, I've seen so many people who have premium memberships just quit SL all together because of all the crashing that goes on EVERY WHERE in sl! 

I can't tell you how many time my firends and i have sent abuse reports only to find NONE of them answered....I wish lindens could appoint someone to the job of managing korea...same goes for all other welcome areas. 

Mika Semyorka wrote:

Also, I disagree with MArigold, Ive been on sl for a long time and korea seems to be the place I go to the most due to the fact that all of my friends hang out there... I mean korea has A LOT of traffic....and the majority of the traffic is not new avatars it is people like me that come there to chat with a group of people ... since there are new people coming into the sim all the time.....its a way to meet new people as well....

As easy as it is to say "you need to venture else where" it really is not as easy as that....and it is an easy way to escape a real problem in second life. I mean hell, I've seen so many people who have premium memberships just quit SL all together because of all the crashing that goes on EVERY WHERE in sl! 

I can't tell you how many time my firends and i have sent abuse reports only to find NONE of them answered....I wish lindens could appoint someone to the job of managing korea...same goes for all other welcome areas. 

I'm  sure a lot of people disagree with Marigold, and that's fair enough.  I still don't understand the mentality of people who choose to linger at the welcome areas for their whole Second Lives.  It seems a massive waste, when there is so much more to see and interact with in SL, but each to their own.

I guess I was very lucky when I started in Second Life.  Korea3 was my first home, and some really great people "rescued" us and showed us some great places in the rest of Second Life, so I was never encouraged to settle and become institutionalised there, like a lot of people seem to have become at a lot of the welcome areas in Second Life. 

Hanging around at welcome areas is only one way to meet new people. I've always believed in paying it forward, that is to say, whenever I meet new people in world, I don't just chat to them at the place I meet them, but show them a little bit of my world, open their eyes, hopefully, to a few more aspects of Second Life they might not have been aware of. 

Anyway, this isn't about whether Marigold is right or wrong, but about what can be done to deter griefers at the welcome areas.  You say NONE of your abuse reports have been answered. How do you know this?  I have certainly watched Linden personnel many times come down and deal with griefers on various parts of the grid, including places like Bear, Ahern, Violet, the sandboxes, ocean lands, anywhere where foolish folk haven't put autoreturn on their land.

Regarding...

As easy as it is to say "you need to venture else where" it really is not as easy as that....

It really is as easy as that! I don't spend a large portion of my Second Life being griefed, never have, never would do. As for people choosing to quit SL because of this, in my experience, it's relatively few.

You and I obviously have very different Second Lives, but neither are right or wrong, just different.

If you have any constructive suggestions as to how LL can really get on top of this ongoing problem, voice them, see if Linden Lab picks up on them. They do take sneaky peaks at these forums you know.

@ Marigold Devin

you have to understand, that many or all of us that hangout in welcome areas, do not want a "Second Life" we do not care anything for it, we dont wish to have one, we simply enjoy chatting in good means for fun in 1st life, on a 3d program, this is the concept you may not be understanding, We do not hide behind avitars, we do not play a role other then creating a personal avitar,

we are the same people in RL as in SL, most of us know what each other look like numerous people find friends close to them IRL and meet up as friends, you meet awesome people, and Skype / tinychat often in groups While talking in SL,  WE "keep it real" and thats how we like it. True many people that have a second life, do take breaks and becoem themselves when talking in voice to groups of regular people in welcome areas. We do not go to clubs and dance because thats what RL is for, we dont hangout in vitrual bars and drink and flirt like it fills some gap were missing, or gives us some false sense of acomplishment, We dont get into the fashon industries or jobs fields in second life, we have real jobs and real lives that matter most to us, This is why we all get along so well, we dont hide anything, and it MUST be recognized as a part of SL. Thanks bro :D.... LOVE johnny B,  :P

Hammerstrong wrote:

@ Marigold Devin

you have to understand, that many or all of us that hangout in welcome areas, do not want a "Second Life" we do not care anything for it, we dont wish to have one, we simply enjoy chatting in good means for fun in 1st life, on a 3d program, this is the concept you may not be understanding, We do not hide behind avitars, we do not play a role other then creating a personal avitar,

we are the same people in RL as in SL, most of us know what each other look like numerous people find friends close to them IRL and meet up as friends, you meet awesome people, and Skype / tinychat often in groups While talking in SL,  WE "keep it real" and thats how we like it. True many people that have a second life, do take breaks and becoem themselves when talking in voice to groups of regular people in welcome areas. We do not go to clubs and dance because thats what RL is for, we dont hangout in vitrual bars and drink and flirt like it fills some gap were missing, or gives us some false sense of acomplishment, We dont get into the fashon industries or jobs fields in second life, we have real jobs and real lives that matter most to us, This is why we all get along so well, we dont hide anything, and it MUST be recognized as a part of SL. Thanks bro
:D
.... LOVE johnny B, 
:P

I had to read the first line of your post several times, because I was sure it said:

"you have to understand, that many or all of us that hangout in welcome areas, do not want a "Second Life" we do not care anything for it, we dont wish to have one, we simply enjoy chatting in good means for fun in 1st life, on a 3d program, this is the concept you may not be understanding, We do not hide behind avitars, we do not play a role other then creating a personal avitar,"

I really don't understand that concept. I don't understand the concept of having a big virtual world to explore, to participate in, yet anyone would choose to hang about in the welcome areas. That's like travelling to Wembley Stadium and just hanging around in the foyer, instead of watching the concert, or the match that's taking place, or even browsing the gift shops.

Maybe you have misunderstood the concept of Second Life.  It isn't compulsory to "hide behind avitars", or play a role. What you see here is what I am in real life, except in real life, our paths would probably not ever have crossed.  However, while you're obviously happy enough to make friends and build up the relationships with those people you meet in the welcome area, do you realise you are missing out on making other friends too?  You seem to assume that outside of the welcome areas in Second Life people are all about shopping, roleplaying, sex (!), deception.  And all I can really say is that, no matter who you are, no matter what type of person you are in real life, you generally meet up with your own level in Second Life.  That is to say, all of my friends in Second Life know something of me in real life, some I also communicate with via email and voice, and via other web media too.  But my level of friends also like to build together in Second Life, share ideas, show each other things that cheer each other up on dull grey RL days.  It's all part and parcel of our own particular enjoyment of Second Life.

I visited Korea1 last night. I took notice of what has been said before in this thread, about a lot of older residents enjoying meeting their friends at the welcome areas, and I saw that.  I also saw three newbies with odd names and odd appearances, who were doing a bit of minor griefing, pushing, calling people names, that sort of juvenile stuff, but what I saw that really annoyed me was the racism shown by some of these longer-term residents, who referred to the irritating newbie griefers as "Hispanic **** ***** ***** " which I thought highly offensive.  Also, I saw that these older residents did nothing to deter the griefers, rather they were exacerbating a problem by not simply ignoring the griefers.

Griefers only return to these areas because they know they can get attention.  Linden Lab will only get involved with something that does undermine the integrity of a server.  Linden Lab will not get involved in anything that amounts to schoolyard tip taps, and that was certainly what I typically witness when I randomly visit these welcome areas.

So, the bottom line is this, if you don't want griefers, and you choose to remain at the welcome areas, be the man and encourage your friends there to realise that giving attention to griefers in any shape or form, even by acknowledging griefers exist, actually will only cause them to return with bigger "weaponry" the next time they are banned from SL and create a new alt.  You make a rod for your own backs.

I'm sorry Hammer, but I'm going to have to agree with Mari here. You're going to find fake people no matter where you go and there are people who "keep it real" all over the grid, not just welcome areas. I know the people in Korea and I know for a fact not everyone "keeps it real" there. Just hanging out in welcome areas 100% of the time will only give you a limited number of people to make friends with, expecially since YOU are well known to shoot off at people who are new to SL, aka potential new friends.

Yes, people are targeting welcome areas specifically to crash sims and clients, and you should be well aware of why. Because welcome areas are some of the largest collection of snobs in the whole grid, making it fun for others to annoy said snobs.

You can hang out where ever you want, and no one is telling you where to go or what to do. You are complaining about a problem you are more than well aware of happens more frequently at welcome areas than any other place. The fact that even with these issues you choose to stay in that area, that is your fault. I hang out in welcome areas as well and I am more than aware of what goes on at places such as these, and when it gets too much i go elsewhere. I dont stay in the same place and let it affect me over and over and over again just to complain of it later.

I am one of the people Johnny has mentioned that likes to hang in Korea and chat. There is nothing wrong with that and it is quite insulting when people say its a waste of time. Its up to us how we choose to spend our time on Second Life and I choose to spend mine by talking to people I have made good friendships with! I think the people that go around exploring different sims on their own are the ones missing out.

Oh and in reply to this...

Quote - I visited Korea1 last night. I took notice of what has been said before in this thread, about a lot of older residents enjoying meeting their friends at the welcome areas, and I saw that.  I also saw three newbies with odd names and odd appearances, who were doing a bit of minor griefing, pushing, calling people names, that sort of juvenile stuff, but what I saw that really annoyed me was the racism shown by some of these longer-term residents, who referred to the irritating newbie griefers as "Hispanic **** ***** ***** " which I thought highly offensive.  Also, I saw that these older residents did nothing to deter the griefers, rather they were exacerbating a problem by not simply ignoring the griefers.

We don't do anything about these griefers because we are simly bored of them. They are not regulars of Korea, they are regulars of other areas that come in trying to cause trouble and insult people. If no one comes to sort them out or if our reports get ignored, what is the point of us doing anything to stop them! We just carry on as normal. People shout insults all the time, we just ignore them becuase they are pathetic low lifes that just come on SL to insult other people because their own lives are depressing and they want to feel better about themselves. Everyone that knows me will know that I do not respond to these idiots in any other way that to say I dont care... because I dont. What does bother me is all the idiots that crash the sim for no reason. And when they are reported it makes no difference.

bactine, you should know, that when " I " shoot off at people, its only the ones greifing either the voice server, or imparing movements, or visuals, I.E. Crashers, Greifer prim emiters, Particle emitters, so on, i dont spout off to decent people who come in just to say HI or hang around to chat or meet people, AND on the rare occasion that i engage with a troll or griefer, its to get them to leave the sim, and to someone just showing up and ignorant to the situation it may seem like such, and im not "WELL KNOWN" for it, I invite you to ask anyone around what it is that im known for, it is my helpfull hand in everything from advice RL or SL, Sim management and building, and anything i can possible offer. that statement you made was offensive and incorrect\, a statement not properly thought through. i invite anyone to any welcome areas to make your own judgements of what actually takes place and by whom

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.