Is SL slower lately?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

Oddly enough I experience 0% packet loss at my usual hangout.

Notwithstanding everything you mentioned.

Yeah, I've almost never seen significant packet loss either, but I'd only really expect that if problems were external to LL's network, perhaps in the ISP, or even LAN.  I think it would have to be a really dire situation to actually drop packets within LL's net.

Different (generations of) viewers handle delayed texture loading differently, so that might explain why some report better performance with one or another breed of viewer.

But YMMV.  For me, when things are feeling laggy these days, I open the texture console, and it's invariably backed-up... and the lag clears just as textures finish loading.

honestly when has sl ever been anything other than slow? some brief moments here and there but by and large its a constant quagmire.

i don't know if anyone is to blame or whatever, but the reality is sl cannot live up to what it promises in terms of the social aspect. case in point, there is a sinful festival going on. the whole idea behind events is to have people attend them, but since 40 avatars are the max how can a big event ever take place? it took me 2 days to finally tp to the festival and then there was hardly anyone there and then i crashed. how can a large concert take place? who deems it worth it to play to 40 avys while everything is taking literally hours to load and you can barely move around?

in theory you can do social things in practical reality you can't.

it got me thinking if a peer to peer back end would work better, like bit torrent tech, the more people in the swarm the faster everything goes because people are uploading as well as downloading. although i can't imagine how one would chop up and tag all that data so it could be reassembled properly.

its a serious problem though that really holds sl back from being as outstanding an experience as it could be.

I haven't noticed any drop in performance at all, in fact using Niran's viewer with his equivalent of Ultra settings, I can now leave Lighting and Shadows on all the time and happily journey around Second Life at anything from 25 to over 40 fps. Add 20 or so fps with Shadows off. I rarely if ever experience lag even in busy clubs. No packet loss and I haven't seen myself rubberband for some time. Teleports are excellent. Textures rez fast as well. With the official SL viewer, my fps is probably about 10 less and textures rez a tad slower.

If I clear my cache and then log in to my home to see how fast textures and my avatar load, it's usually just a few seconds. Repeating that with the latest official viewer, textures rez a bit slower but not much but my avatar usually takes an age to rez from a cloud.

However, what I have noticed lately is that I had to disable VBO while using the offial viewer because it was severely impacting on fps reducing it at times from 35/40 down to 3/5 making SL unplayable. On disabling VBO, fps instantly shoots up to normal levels. I've no idea why this is happening. It started after I upgraded from Catalyst 11.8 to 12.1. However, reinstalling 11.8 saw the same effect so now I'm on 12.2 with VBO disabled while using the official viewer. I never saw this effect before and always had VBO on as it added a couple of frames per second. I don't have any issues with VBO on Niran's viewer and always have it on while using it.

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing some texture corruption with some clothing layers in both viewers, in some instances, this can be seen by other avatars and in some cases, not. Still trying to get to the bottom of it but as for SL performance generally, I'm really happy with it.

I haven't noticed any slowdowns at all, but I never use the "official" viewers.  Looking back over the past 5 years, I have to say that my performance has only improved with time. I am on the most current Firestorm, using XP  with a GeForce GT9600 card, admittedly not the fastest, most modern system, but it serves me very well.  I'm routinely getting 50 to 75 FPS and never having any packet loss on a 5 Mbps Internet connection.  My alt and I can buld and test scripts together for hours with no difficulty, and we almost never have TP trouble. I travel light (wearing no more than 10 - 12 scripts, for a total load of less than 500Kb), and I don't spend much time in heavy traffic areas.  Super-crowded sims have always been slow, but sIms like yours, Pam, give me no trouble at all.

erm may be wrong but do any of you use virgin media like me?

Apparently they have started throttling SL bandwidth as a p2p downloading program.  

The net just takes over 15 mins for me to rez in game and cant walk around any more :( Web pages take several mins to load with SL or firestorm running as the net is running so slow.

Speed comes back up after the Viewer crashes tho still slower than before xmas SL was fine up till xmas too 

Not sure whats really wrong but unplayable at moment 

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.