Is there any particular reason they keep outdated garbage on the market?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just bought what LOOKED like some really awesome red sandals in the photo.

Paid L$249 and got them, thinking they would be great. To my horror, instead of an alpha layer that we have come to expect, it had an invisiprim. So a section of my leg was missing around the ankles.

I know during V1, this was the best they could do but with V2 and beyond, we expect much better. I have bought freebie shoes that were better.

So then, why do they keep some of the outdated crap on the market that needs to be ditched?

I might just bite the bullet and buy some red shoes from N-core. Yes they are a fortune but with them, you expect a lot and you GET a lot, even if at a healthy price.

Sucks to spend money and instantly have to trash your purchase. I would have felt better giving my money to some stranger.

It is up to the individual merchant what items they have in the Marketplace and how long they keep them there. 

Some merchants may just not be inclined to update their inventory.  Other times, the item may be selling and the creator doesn't see a reason to withdraw it as long as it sells.  There is probably a host of other reasons.

While I appreciate your disappointment, in the case of shoes, there are still people running the older viewers with lindens to spend.

If the invisiprims are worn separately from the shoe, or the shoes are mod and you can delink it, you can just not wear the invisaprim and use an alpha layer from another pair of shoes that are similar.   You probably already have an alpha that will work with them, even if you have to try a few or adjust the shoe itself a bit.   This is what I've done with my older shoes that are still good looking and wearable other wise.

couldn't an alpha layer fix the issue?? just use an alpha layer rather than wearing the inviso prim..

a lot of my older shoes and boots that still had the inviso prim i just use an alpha layer with..plus they are not that bad to really make..

they also sell lots of alpha packs for certain parts of the body..

i have one pack that covers just about any ankle boot or shoe all the way up to the highest high thigh..

as far as the merchant..anytime i feel i am not happy with a product..they get my opinion in their comments or reviews of their product ..whatever my options are..just as they will get one when i am very happy with a purchase..it's their choice which that may be hehehehe*winks*

My old business partner left SL in 2006 and he still has stuff for sale on the MP, he must still have magic boxes hosted somewhere.. Unless the items are de-listed they stay there as long as the MP does. If / when MP direct delivery comes out of beta then maybe this will change if the MB's are removed.

On the other hand, some merchants have been around for a long time and just keep adding content to the MP without ever deleting the old stuff. I am guilty of that to some degree. I have a few items still listed there that are 6 or 7 years old. They were removed from my in-world store years ago but I leave them on the MP if they sell once or twice a year because there is no reason not to.

Try shopping in-world in future or at the very least check that the Merchant still has a store in-world before buying from the MP. This will greatly reduce your chances of buying antiquated content.

If the sandals are no mod and therefore you can't get rid of the invisiprims, I'd suggest you contact the seller and ask if they can supply you an alpha layer to match and sandals without invisiprims (or at least sandals). It wouldn't so troublesome for the creator to just remove the invisiprims.

On the marketplace there remain tons of outdated items because some sellers don't care and maybe already inactive (if only they leave a magicbox rezzed somewhere on the grid, they might get occasional sales).

Ceka Cianci wrote:

couldn't an alpha layer fix the issue?? just use an alpha layer rather than wearing the inviso prim..

Yes but creating an alpha layer for open sandals is pretty difficult as you have to alight it accurately with the straps and such.  Depending on how close the straps fit the foot, on some it just won't work at all.

I'm suspecting that the age of shoe mentioned doesn't have a sculpted prim foot which will mean that using the original avatar foot, it becomes non trivial to match.

I did one and it took me about 2 hours to get it right to a point where I was happy with it.  There way the foot is laid out on the UV map makes it so much harder to map than say arms or legs.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Yes but creating an alpha layer for open sandals is pretty difficult as you have to alight it accurately with the straps and such.  Depending on how close the straps fit the foot, on some it just won't work at all.

I'm suspecting that the age of shoe mentioned doesn't have a sculpted prim foot which will mean that using the original avatar foot, it becomes non trivial to match.

I did one and it took me about 2 hours to get it right to a point where I was happy with it.  There way the foot is laid out on the UV map makes it so much harder to map than say arms or legs.

ya just an open sandle with no foot is crazy..

i don't think you could get away with just an open sandle and not an inviso prim just using the sl foot..

you pretty much need a prim foot or it's limited to an alpha prim..

some people just can't make a foot is probably what it comes down to lol

either way ..if it sounded like they came with a foot in the add and it didn't..

they would hear it in the review i left  hehehe

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Actually, I hadn't really thought about this.  I still wear shoes/boots with invisiprim...is there a reason not to?  Do the new viewers see something different?  :smileysurprised:

well the viewers updated to the alpha layers you don't get that alpha glitch around the shoe or boot..like when you go on the dance floor..

we still see the alpha glitch i believe with an inviso prim..

if you are using a viewer that is updated to the alpha layer.you can dump the inviso prims and just use the alpha layer instead..

open sandles on the other hand that show an sl foot rather than a prim foot..thats a whole other story in itself..they are pretty much limited to using an inviso prim if it's just the sandle withno prim foot..

i think we can all see the glitch still..

i wouldn't worry about it unless it bothers you..i know i don't worry about other peoples feet if they are glitching or not..it only glitches in certain places anyways..up against other alpha layers..

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Actually, I hadn't really thought about this.  I still wear shoes/boots with invisiprim...is there a reason not to?  Do the new viewers see something different?  :smileysurprised:

The latest Linden Lab viewer and the new version of Firestorm don't hide things that used to be hidden by invisiprims if "Lighting and Shadows" is turned on. This was intentional because invisiprims cause a lot of rendering weirdness but there's a chance this change may be reconsidered,.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.