• Announcements

    • Xiola Linden

      The New Community Platform   03/21/2017

      We are still working on making adjustments and changes to the new platform. Thanks  to everyone who has been sending in feedback and filing any bugs you've encountered! 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Casssey

Indicate your opinion about Virtual Learning

29 posts in this topic

Dear Second Life users,

My name is Athanasios Christopoulos and I am an MSc by Research candidate at the University of Bedfordshire, UK. I am currently conducting a study on Virtual Environments concerning their educational potentials and impact on higher education. If any of you have used Second Life or any other Virtual Environment for educational purposes as a University student, please devote 5 minutes of your time to answer my questionnaire and share with me your opinion about Virtual Learning. 

At the beginning of the questionnaire you will find more information about the study. However, if you have additional questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Best wishes,

Athanasios Christopoulos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel a need to correct you, in the introduction of your survey you refer to Second Life as an Opensim.  Opensim is an open source version of Second Life and in many posts I've sensed negative feelings toward Opensims.  And another useful source for your research may be found here, I've seen several articles on this subject there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Clarissa Lowell wrote:

What is with all the questionnaires and surveys in the forums, lately? I consider them a form of spam.

And this person actually thinks some of us are educated!  The audacity!

I think I will start a survey, "Should survey requests be allowed in the Forums?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am afraid, I have to correct you back:) I know that Second Life and OpenSim are not the same. Nevertheless, my study concerns the educational use of Second Life AND OpenSim; since, many institutions, are using OpenSim technology as well for their educational projects.

Thus, if you have the willingness to help me, I will be glad to see your completed survey.

Thanks a lot for your time.

A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can easily make a case that surveys violate the Community Guidelines for spam since they reference (and link to) another website which is offering a service.  Particularly when a person using surveymonkey uses the free version with the advertising attached

--Cinn

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

surveymonkey.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least once you refer to Second Life as "a well-known Virtual World and OpenSim", direct quote from your survey.  But I guess poor wording is standard for surveys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Knutz Scorpio wrote:

Done, though I had to make a coin flip between two choices.

I was trying to briefly summarize the opinions I have seen expressed in past survey requests and I didn't want to limit people to just "yes" or "no."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me correct you again:)

This is the sentence you refer to. Please, read it more carefully.

"The concern of the research is addressed to Second Life, a well-known Virtual World and OpenSim, a novel technology recently used by the public for the development of Virtual Worlds."


Thanks,

A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If "a well-known Virtual World" is the description for Second Life shoudn't there be a comma after World?

I could be wrong.  English grammer confuses me. :)

--Cinn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Casssey wrote:

Let me correct you again:)

This is the sentence you refer to. Please, read it more carefully.

"The concern of the research is addressed to Second Life, a well-known Virtual World and OpenSim, a novel technology recently used by the public for the development of Virtual Worlds."

Thanks,

A.

I can't believe I'm wasting my time on this.

Second Life is "a well-known Virtual World"

Second Life is NOT "a well-known Virtual World and OpenSim"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, take a better look:

"a well-known Virtual World" is a description for Second Life and

"a novel technology recently used by the public for the development of Virtual Worlds" is a description for OpenSim.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use a comma to set off parenthetical elements, as in "The Founders Bridge, which spans the Connecticut River, is falling down." By "parenthetical element," we mean a part of a sentence that can be removed without changing the essential meaning of that sentence. The parenthetical element is sometimes called "added information." This is the most difficult rule in punctuation because it is sometimes unclear what is "added" or "parenthetical" and what is essential to the meaning of a sentence.

Put the comma in next time and avoid the confusion.

--Cinn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Casssey wrote:

Let me correct you again:)

This is the sentence you refer to. Please, read it more carefully.

"The concern of the research is addressed to Second Life, a well-known Virtual World and OpenSim, a novel technology recently used by the public for the development of Virtual Worlds."

Thanks,

A.

Your sentence is poorly constructed.  

What you have done is write a sentence that says, "Second Life is a well-known Virtual World and Open Sim".   Then you refer back to that clause, explaining that Second Life is a "novel technology recently used by the public for development of Virtual Worlds.  When you actually meant, that "Open Sim", is the novel technology recently used by the public for the development of Virtual Worlds. 

Several Second Life residents have tried to point out your poorly constructed sentence, and the confusion it conveys.  Instead of understanding and correcting your own mistake, you just keep repeating yourself.  

The burden of communication falls upon the one who is doing the communicating.  Thus, you are responsible for writing sentences that make sense.  You have failed to do that.  

This is what you should have written: 

"The concern of the research is addressed to Second Life, a well-known Virtual World, and to Open Sim, a novel technology recently used by the public for the development of Virtual Worlds".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies to everyone.  Usually I just blow it off at the first "correct you back", let the error ride, then watch them bang their head on the desk when more complaints about the problem start coming in from other sources.  Definitely looking forward to this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 OP--The sentence under discussion is poorly worded. 

You did, however, introduce yourself and tell us where you are going to school and who the target audience is.  I appreciate that.

I would point out that some of your survey language doesn't translate well to U.S. colleges/universities.

Q1.8 ignores the social sciences and humanities entirely. If any of my students did take your survey they would be unable to answer this question.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I would like to thank you for your kind reply.

Please keep in mind that I am studying in a UK University and thus my survey is written in UK English. I understand that there might be great differences between UK and US English. For this and many other reasons, I provided my e-mail address in the introduction message.

In your case, the answer to the question you referred to is “Arts”, since the social sciences and humanities are considered as Arts, at least in UK Universities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, all of you are wrong.  As far as punctuation differences between UK and USA, there are virtually none.  Here is how the sentence should have been constructed.

"The concern of the research is addressed to Second Life, a well-known virtual world; and to open sim, a novel technology recently used by the public for the development of virtual worlds".

Since he is writing about two different virtual worlds, the semi-colon should be used to show that Open Sim is completely different from "Second Life, a well-known virtual world."  Notice that I did not capitlize  "virtual world" either.  "Virtual world" in this case is descriptive and not a name, therefore not capilized.  The same rule applies to when it is used at the end of the sentence.  The same rule can apply to "open sim".  There is no virtual world specifically called "Open Sim" that I am aware of.  Here again, it is a descriptive and therefore capitilizing it is incorrect.

I may suggest to Casssey that he go back and take a remedial English education course to learn proper punctuation.  It will go a long way in his finding and keeping a job when he graduates from college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never said that "opensimulator" or "opensim" is a virtual world. OpenSim is a tool (novel technology) for the development of a virtual world. According to the official web site of OpenSim: "OpenSimulator is an open source multi-platform, multi-user 3D application server. It can be used to create a virtual environment (or world)." (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page)

Finally, keep these kind of suggestions away from me. I don't want to turn this thread into an argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


namssab1nad Piers wrote:

Actually, all of you are wrong.  As far as punctuation differences between UK and USA, there are virtually none.  Here is how the sentence should have been constructed.

"The concern of the research is addressed to Second Life, a well-known virtual world; and to open sim, a novel technology recently used by the public for the development of virtual worlds".

Since he is writing about two different virtual worlds, the semi-colon should be used to show that Open Sim is completely different from "Second Life, a well-known virtual world."  Notice that I did not capitlize  "virtual world" either.  "Virtual world" in this case is descriptive and not a name, therefore not capilized.  The same rule applies to when it is used at the end of the sentence.  The same rule can apply to "open sim".  There is no virtual world specifically called "Open Sim" that I am aware of.  Here again, it is a descriptive and therefore capitilizing it is incorrect.

I may suggest to Casssey that he go back and take a remedial English education course to learn proper punctuation.  It will go a long way in his finding and keeping a job when he graduates from college. 

No, no, no.  A semicolon connects two INDEPENDENT clauses. The comma here is to set off the explanation of what SL is.

http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/appositionterm.htm

The idea that Americans use commas differently than people in the UK is ridiculous. This is a perfect example of why language conventions exist -- to make things as clear as possible.

 

PS Yes, I taught English.  And do not even get  me started on comma splices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Casssey wrote:

 

Finally, keep these kind of suggestions away from me. I don't want to turn this thread into an argument.

Who did you want to keep the suggestions away from you, and how do you propose they do so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casssey wrote:

Finally, keep these kind of suggestions away from me. I don't want to turn this thread into an argument.

I agree... God forbid you should learn something.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0