Cannot open SL regular viewer, or beta viewer, or Firestorm. No login field.

SpinWeaver Radmussen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

On new installations of SL regular viewer, SL beta viewer, and Firestorm, the installation appears to finish satisfactorily, but when the viewer is launched, I get a screen half black, half gray.  There is no text or field to login.  I believe the problem is in my machine, but have no idea where to look.

Have run SL on this computer for over 2 years without problem.  Windows 7, graphics driver up-to-date.

-----------------------

2/17/2012 6:26 pm SLT

Installed viewer 3.2.1 & am back up an running.  Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!

Spin

------------------------

3/22/2012

I am wondering, since my problem is a known issue, if the latest release of the viewer may have fixed the issue.

Spin

3 answers to this question

We need some hardware information. You can use OPTIONS->Edit in the upper right to add more info.

If the viewer ran I would have you use Help-About... to get the info. You can use a Command Line (Start CMD) to run dxdiag to get most of the infromation we need. The CPU and Video Card make and model are needed. Plus driver versions. DXDiag is not going to give you the OpenGL version... which is important.

Also, which version of the viewer was running?

You can get CPU-Z (free) to see if your CPU handles SSE2.

You can get GPU-Z (free) to get the details on your video card. It is not just a matter of having the latest driver. The card or chip has to be capable of handling SL.

Quoting LoveAngel Lyre......  "Hello SpinWeaver and welcome to SL Forums. If you use the last version of Viewer 3 (3.2.4) is a known issue. Several other residents reported this here. You can roll back to the previous version (3.2.1) In this case set your software updates not to be installed automatically (preferences --> setup). Alternatively download the beta (3.2.5)."

You might also try turning off OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects (VBO) in Preferences >> Graphics >> Hardware settings and see if that helps.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.