Stuck on "Initializing VFS"

VRprofessor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Restart the computer if you haven't. When the viewer crashes some parts of it can remain running.

If you are automatic updating then it may be a video issue. You can rename the settings.xml files in C:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\Secondlife\user_settings\

Renaming will set the viewer back to its default settings. If that fails let us know there are additional ways to turn off some problem settings.

A reinstall is some work and it destoys lots of files, chat logs and other viewers' settings. Try manually clearing the cache first. It is the folder c:\Users\[win_login_id]\AppData\Local\Secondlife\

If that fails, consider a clean install.

Thanks for the thoughts. 

The issue started with the wifi at work.  I switched over to a cabled network link with no joy.

Came back home--where it worked 24hours ago--back to wifi, same problem.

I had hopes for a reboot when windows reported it had some program in the background that it was trying to shut down when I closed down windows.

Still no joy.

uninstalled.  rebooted.  new install.  still no joy.  Sigh.

I think there was one more idea in these posts that I haven't tried yet.  will go try it now.

Again, thanks for the help.  I've read so many threads with folks having problems while things have worked well for me.   I was beginning to think I was immune.  Guess not.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.