[Update] - Valentine's Day Downtime and Commission Discount Promotion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Resident
Hello Merchants,

We have completed processing most of the orders placed before the recent downtime on February 13, 2012  and February 14, 2012.

In appreciation of your patience, we will be offering free commission on all listings less than L$10,000 starting NEXT Friday for three days starting at noon PT Friday, February 24, 2012 (through noon Monday, February 27, 2012).*

Please submit questions on this forum post and we will post all pertinent responses by end of day Friday.

Please contact customer support if any orders placed between February 13, 2012 and February 14, 2012 have not been completely processed.

For previous updates and info you can visit this thread.

*All listings L$10,000 or more will be charged 0.01% commission.
Thank you,
The Commerce Team

Thank you so much! I think it's great that you are not taking commission on the busiest sales days! On a side note, I'd be willing to give more than 5% commission if they made the search more relevant, allowed newer items to be mixed in with the higher ranking items, make customer reviews/ratings expire every year (so newer, more efficient and better products don't have to compete with products with 1,000s of ratings from the xstreet days by creators who are *most likely* no longer in sl to give customers the quality customer support needed and created products which are antiquated, etc), and most importantly, make it easier for customers to rate the items :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

primposs_512x64.png

In another thread I wrote:

For me the most important thing is that they show that they care. Just a stupid standard 'we apologies for all inconvienence' is not satisfying at all. It would be so simple to make a gesture to show that they do care.

Thanks Linden Lab. This is a nice gesture to show us that you do understand the impact of what happened and even more important, that you do care. For me this recovers a bit of my trust.

Its good LL Commerce does ocassionally listen to the Merchant threads and its a nice gesture.

But... I am sure most of us Merchants would also like it it LL Management or anyone at LL add to this thread and explain exactly what happened and provide us Merchants somce confidence that they will be taking action to prevent this from happening again.

Critical application servers to LL's operations should be fully redundant.  A failure should not bring down any critical service or system.

The other deep concern is what Sassy brought up - the architecture of MP that a Sales Transaction is so loosely connected that LL could allow part of the transaction to complete and yet the 2nd 1/2 gets separated and orphaned.  This seems like a very poor immature design and makes the up-coming DD deployment more scary.

Please LL Commerce.... provide us a full account what happened and what changes LL will make to make sure this wont happen again.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

But... I am sure most of us Merchants would also like it it LL Management or anyone at LL add to this thread and explain exactly what happened and provide us Merchants somce confidence that they will be taking action to prevent this from happening again.

I'd rather have the explanation than the commission holiday to be honest, although I appreciate that merchants with a higher turnover might find this a valuable concession.  I just hate all the uncertainty and the feeling that you not only cannot trust anything around here, but that also, you'll never really know what or why it all went wrong.

I expect the value of the commission holiday depends on whether you were more concerned with a loss of income or a loss of enjoyment.  I'm pleased that LL have decided on this gesture though as it will hopefully rebalance things a bit for people who lost a significant chunk of income, and it's nice to know that LL seem to sense that the whole debacle was a mess too far.

LET THERE BE LOVE AND PEACE ON EARTH - small.jpg

I must say... This is the first time in a long long time that SL did something that was thoughtful and kind.  After years of getting banged and battered...  And suffering from SL PTSD as a result of all the changes and "improvements"...  I'm glad for the opportunity to say Thank You SL for a Kind and Thoughtful Gesture.  I hope whoever thought to do this commission discount promotion gets a raise and a nice bonus.  More than a few commissions saved, it touches my heart and makes me glad.  Thanks for that !

Ann Otoole wrote:

It is a nice gesture but we would rather rodvik bring in a team of seasoned professionals to redo the entire SLM into an enterprise level system not based on free software and that can handle the demand Second Life presents. Period.

I was just about to post exactly this.

Thank you for the gesture, it is appreciated, but I'd rather pay double commision for a year if the funds could be put towards actually fixing the overall system design.

This is a very friendly gesture from Lindens! Nice to see them admit this issue & offer olive branch. Thank you Linden Commerce Team!

I also voice agreement with Ann Otoole. The throttling and bottleneck SLM brings to the Second Life economy should obviously be reworked & replaced by a robust professional-grade system.

If SLM must remain a two-dimensional (web 1.0) design, at minimum the listing/delivery/transaction systems must be professionally implemented and managed, something akin to Apple's App Store :catvery-happy:

Yes, SLM seeks to replace inworld business entirely (to increase LL commission revenues), but it is by design nature not deep enough to replace inworld, nor is it a sustainable model attractive for long term real business (ROI-seeking) approach.

I get it that Linden Lab is targeting hobbyists, not professionals.

However, a more professional approach would help stem the complete brain drain of SL's best creative resources :catembarrassed:

Happy to see they added these little cat icons too, very cute touch, thank you whichever Linden did that!

I agree with others,  I would really like to see the whole thing work more smoothly.

I do appreciate this gesture though, it's a nice surprise and a pretty unusual gesture from LL, but if you think about it it's not just unusual for LL, these days corporations rarely admit to their mistakes and paying any kind of compensation for those mistakes is practically unheard of, so nice one LL.

No need to increase commissions though to pay for extra development, just bring back banner advertsing that will easily cover the cost of a couple of developers. 

I forgot to say ....

Why are you still taking comission from the seller, when the seller try to test the delivery?

If we can not trust in marketplace delivery system, we must to try the delivery by ourself, and you take comission from the seller, this is unacceptable.

Where is the "test delivery" button that you removed from the old marketplace to avoid take comissions from the seller?

Yes, thanks for the gesture, everyone will benefit by a small amount for a few days but I am sure that we would all forgo this if

#1 we got an assurance that it wont happen again as soon as the next peak sales period arrives

#2 We received a notification of reviews

#3 We could send test deliveries as before without being charged commission

The gesture is appreciated but action to resolve the persistent inadequacies of the new marketplace would be truly wonderful & this, though gratefully received, is a small compensation for a lot of inconvenience.

I wonder if any merchant truly feels that what they will save in commission for three days will make up for the loss of income on what would have been a very busy day. Not to mention the loss of goodwill.

Thanks anyway :o)

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Yesterday, I recieved payments on items purchased over a year ago.
I'd like to know, how exactly these purchases were misplaced for over a year, and what you are doing to correct the problem in the future?

This is to the Lindens, not Sassy. I swear I clicked the right reply button, lol.

Wow :smileysurprised:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Yesterday, I recieved payments on items purchased over a year ago.
I'd like to know, how exactly these purchases were misplaced for over a year, and what you are doing to correct the problem in the future?

This is to the Lindens, not Sapphy. I swear I clicked the right reply button, lol.

O.M.G.!!! Seriously?? 

/me is dumbfounded that something like this can happen

Hey, Commerce Team...how is this possible??

Thank you, I am pleased to see this gesture and although countless sales were lost on V-day, I am glad that you were able to get most of the items delivered on that day, and that you worked quickly to get all merchants paid. Thank you.

Related Questions:

- Since I know many of us are hoping Direct Delivery will solve at least some of our existing issues, when is Direct Delivery currently slated to be released onto the main viewer?

- Will you be offering User Group/Office Hours for Commerce anytime soon? 

- Will you please make sure this doesn't happen again next Valentine's Day?  I hope somewhere there is a central calendar that shows all LL activities so all departments can coordinate.  It's very important that on big sales days on SLM (and inworld, might I add), there not be any hardware maintenance/rollouts unless completely necessary.

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

In appreciation of your patience, we will be offering free commission on all listings less than L$10,000 starting NEXT Friday for three days starting at noon PT Friday, February 24, 2012 (through noon Monday, February 27, 2012).*

This is just weird, Have pigs started flying too?

Porky Gorky wrote:

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

This is just weird, Have pigs started flying too?

It was based on a suggestion I made on another thread.  I was surprised they actually listened.

Pigs havent started flying but they might have sprouted wings!

It's a beautiful thing, Commerce Team.

Not novel, as old as business and something I've heard and said on the phone probably tens of thousands of times, "Hey Bill, we're awfully sorry about that, how about if we do this to make it right ....".

Also something the majority of Merchants do all the time. Sometimes on a daily basis.

Things like this are the difference between being treated as a human customer, and not a socially inept, rural, ignorant, socially engineered stepford resident.

If we could get to the "we value you as our professional content partners that create potential billions of dollars and user hours worth of product", we'll really be onto something.

Also agree it takes a pro grade team and product to move those goods, not one Jira and mishap after another. Better things to do, it's your product to make work at that level. It's our job to produce the content for you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.