Lag Meter shows Red on Client cause possible images loading any helpful suggestion?

sagia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Since the Client is red, it really is going to depend on your computer specifications as to what, if anything can be done to correct the problem.  Goto Help/About Second Life in the viewer, click on Copy to Clipboard and then paste the results into your current thread (Options - Edit)  That way we can perhaps see what might be causing a red Client condition.

--Cinn

From what you discribed (using the word "client") it looks like the lag you are experiencing is with your client, or the viewer, are using.  That's a little decieving though.  The meter can only measure lag that it sees that shows up in what you see on your computer.........the lag could be caused by the client but I also could be caused by your computer and it's hardware (the meter has no way to determine if the lag is produced in the client or the computer itself).  You might try switching to another viewer (such as a third party viewer or an SL official viewer if you are already using a TPV).  In all honesty I think the lag is being caused by your hardware.  Some more information is necessary for any good suggestions anyone may give.  An easy way to get that information is to open your viewer (not necessary to log in) and under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  The basic computer specs are listed on the first tab.  Copy those and paste back here.  Don't start a new thread (this software does not allow the thread starter in this section to post back on their thread).  Instead use the "Options' in the upper right hand corner of your post and "Edit" to add information and comments.

When you add the specs also tell us what viewer you are using and if your Client lag is everywhere you go in SL or just one place. 

Here's the Wiki page for the Lag Meter.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewerhelp:Lag_Meter

Second Life 3.2.8 (248931) Feb 9 2012 09:07:27 (Second Life Release)

Per your request this is my computer info and I am using the new update SL viewer and problems are continuous everywhere. Should I change a setting now with new updated viewer?

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz (2300 MHz)

Memory: 4096 MB

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Inc.

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 APPLE-1.6.42

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1

Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Built with GCC version 40001

Packets Lost: 63/279770 (0.0%)

I'm sorry I didn't expect you to answer in the Permalink. I just now saw your post.

Most all your problems are with the Intel HD Graphics intergrated into your CPU. It's a basic video adapter meant for basic graphics such as web viewing, image viewing, streaming video, and business type graphics. All those graphics are 2D which any graphics adapter can handle with ease. SL is not a 2D invvironment however........it's heavily 3D. What's more it's 3D content is almost entirely user creator and all but a hand full of those content creators are amateurs.......with little or no knowledge of graphics optimization. That puts a huge load on your graphics hardware...........and your hardware (the Intel HD 3000) is simply not up to the task. Obviously it has enough power to allow you to enter SL but it will perform miserably because it is not designed to do the job SL requires for a good graphics experience in-world.

The real solution is to get a dedicated graphics card that is mid-level or better in performance. But your computer appears to be a laptop which may or may not have the capability to have a dedicated card installed in it (most laptop under about $1000 USD do not have that capablility). The only other solution I can think of is to find a third party viewer (TPV) that is easier on the graphics. Any viewer based on the old SL 1.23 viewer code should work (but you won't be able to see mesh objects and, of course, no shadows or depth of field). I've heard that Firestorm (developed by the same people who develop the Pheonix viewer) is easier on the graphics hardware. I have no first hand experience with that viewer but I relaying what I've read here on the forums. I don't use any TPV's since one of the viewers I was using turned out be a monster in disquise...........I won't take the chance on any TPV since that episode nearly 2 years ago. Sorry, I can recommend any TPV.

In the mean time. Try lowering your graphics in your preferences to the lowest setting. If things improve then slowly, one feature at a time, increase the sliders until your problem starts occuring again, then back off a little. You won't be able to see shadows or depth of field though...........I wouldn't recommend even trying. I also hope you are not connecting to the Interet wirelessly for SL (it's just too prone to interference and too slow for most occassions).

I also seem to suffer this it only happens after a while I have to keep switching viewers which is not good I have a custom built PC for heavy 3D graphics 7.5 ratings there and my speed is 7mps so the problem is ????? I have heavy duty graphics card also any answer to this dis heartning problem? Am I over playing SL maybe?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.