will these specs work well

Jonny Kyrie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

sorry if this is in the wrong section but i am buying or building a computer with these specs i put this together please tell me if it will work well

Corsair venegance 16gb of ram 4x4gb

windows 7 home premium

Rosewill challenger black gaming ATC Computer case

Asus M4a88t-M Motherboard

AMD Black edition Amd FX 3.6GHZ

Logitech wireless touch keyboard

Seagate Barracuda ST500 DM002 500GB 7200RPM Hard drive

Msi GeForce GTX 460

If you haven't bought it yet for the love of god dont buy the FX CPU their single threaded performance and even general performance is atrocious for gaming. An older Phenom II will out perform it. Look in to the hex (6) core phenoms or the quad 960T (with the right mobo it becomes a 6 core often). The phenoms also overclock highly if this is your desire (my 960T is currently running as a 6 core at 3.9 GHZ).

I'd also recommend you dont go with seagate for the HDD in my personal experience they have a high ratio of "bricked" (dead) drives just after the warranty expires. Western Digital is good (though dont get a green series as primary HDD).

The 460 is or was a good card but look out on its memory bandwidth the famous great one is not made anymore and most the ones on sale now are actually a scaled down version with a lower mem bandwidth. I'd consider a 560ti if I was you or if budget allows a 560ti 448 edition.

With your Win7 try and get a OEM version it saves a fair few £.

And finally make sure you get a good brand PSU. Many people put together some great hardware then get a budget PSU that ends up causing all sorts of issues some minor some catastrophic. If you plan to Overclock also get an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Hope thats a bit helpful :matte-motes-big-grin:

i added the PSU and changed some stuff

Corsair venegance 16gb of ram 4x4gb

windows 7 home premium

Rosewill challenger black gaming ATC Computer case

Asus M4a88t-M Motherboard

Intel core i5 2500k sandy bridge

Logitech wireless touch keyboard

Western Digital 500gb 7200rpm hard drive

GIGABYTE 1GB GEFORCE GTX 550TI

Antec basiq VP450 PSU 450 WATT

Are you sure you can put an i5 Intel in the Asus M4a88t-M Motherboard? I don't think so.

If you are going to use GeForce with the mother board… it does not have SLI support. It has CrossFire for ATI/AMD graphics. The board has a built in graphics chip according to one set of specs… but not another. May be I’m missing a detail. If it does have a chip and your adding a graphics card, which you need to do for SL, you’re wasting money buying a board with built in graphics.

Also, I can’t find a PCI-e3 spec. The new PCI-e3 is a faster graphics channel. If you want the board to last for a couple of upgrades you’ll likely want one with PCI-e3.

I like ASUS but this does not seem to be the board for your rig.

The power supply looks a bit light. Use Antec’s power supply sizer to figure out what size PS to get. It is better to go larger than needed and handle future upgrades.

Your second Build is pretty decent. Unless your an enthusiast in to Serious overclocking AMD is a bit of a dead route right now. That Sandybridge is really where its at for gaming now and it gives you a future drop in path for upgrades later on when Ivybridge releases.

450 watt PSU may be a bit under for the 550ti it will run it and depending on the quality of the 12v rail may run it stable but it will be running near high capacity which is less efficient and shortens the units life. If i was building that rig I would go overkill a little on the PSU something like this

600W OCZ ModXStream Pro Modular Power Supply

Its 80+ Silver efficiency rated and gives you plenty of leeway in its wattage. It'll even power up a better graphics card should you want that in future.

I'd recommend this Motherboard

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 (B3) Motherboard GA-Z68AP-D3

Dont worry about SLI/Crossfire anyone SLI'ing non flagship cards is wasting their money anyway it causes more issues than its worth, microstuttering, poor compatibility with most games. If you ever decide to upgrade that 550 in the future SLI would be wasting cash the better upgrade route would be to buy a newer single card further up the line.

Only other recommendation i have is that processor is Overclockable. If you do plan to OC grab yourself an aftermarket CPU cooler. Arctic Freezer 13 fits your socket, is pretty good and isn't too noisy.

*Edit to add*

I wouldn't get hung up on Pcie 3.0 if the board you choose supports it cool if not it doesnt really matter and wont matter for quite a while

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.