Lately, I have been getting High Ping Sim rates so incredibly high,

Coco Naopolitana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Lately, I have been getting ridiculous High Ping Sim rates, so bad, I cannot do anything on SL.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared cache, no firewalls, ran anti virus programs, did it all, and nothing changes.  Please..if you have any solutions, please inform me, as I do have a great investment in SL and do not want to cancel my account.

7 answers to this question

Hello Coco. Ping Sim is largely dependent on your connection to the Internet. If Ping Sim is high but Ping User is not, the server might be having problems. Reboot your modem / router leting it closed for at least 2-3 mins and move to a region without lag to see if the problem still exists. Check out if there is a problem with your connectivity. Visit http://speedtest.net/ Avoid downloading and generally to run other applications when you are online in world. Contact your ISP to see if there is a problem with your line if you see that your speed is less than what you payed. Is your router locked with password? If no, is possible someone else in your neighborhood to use your connection same time with you.

• Like 1

A high ping means that a small packet of data (the ping) took a very long time to get to its destination.  This is usually a network problem.  Sometimes something as simple as rerouting your Ethernet cable because its sitting on top of a poorly shielded power cable.

The first thing you should do is eliminate your viewer from your testing.  Do a standard ping test or download a free ping utility.  Then use that to ping a sim (see example below).  If the ping is still a high number, then you know its a network problem and you can focus you efforts there. 

--Cinn

pingtest.PNG

• Like 1

Your router likely lacks memory sufficient to route the amount of UDP packets you're throwing at it. Do things get better if you enable HTTP textures and inventory? This moves the bulk of traffic to TCP connections, which El Cheapo routers handle better, leaving the connectionless UDP packets for position tracking (a way more efficient and less trouble-prone approach all around). Also try turning down your bandwidth by a lot and slowly increment it higher until you hit the point things start screwing up again...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.