Questions (and now some answers) exporting 3ds max rig

Kwakkelde Kwak

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Then there's obviously no issue with your modelling or skinning. Could you try to skip the entire FBX export and export as DAE? If that doesn't work, can you post the part of the DAE file where you added the bones? To be sure remove the double bones aswell, as I said I only read they don't make a difference, but I never tested it.

• Like 1

Thats what I did in my last try. No converting. I just exported to DAE straight from 3DS MAX.

<Name_array id="Cylinder001Controller-Joints-array" count="26">
mHipLeft mPelvis mHipRight mTorso mChest mCollarLeft mShoulderLeft
mCollarRight mShoulderRight mKneeRight mAnkleRight mFootRight mToeRight mKneeLeft mAnkleLeft mFootLeft mToeLeft mNeck mHead mSkull mEyeRight mEyeLeft mElbowLeft mWristLeft mElbowRight mWristRight</Name_array>

The part you see in bold is what I added to the DAE file

EDIT: btw I tested with the double bones example but in my case I am getting the same result. So don't know whether thats the issue or not.

The part you posted looks fine to me. Your modelling and skinning should be fine. It has to be something in the export process, but, as much as I hate to admit it, I really don't know where to look. Could you post the file somewhere so I or someone else can have a go at uploading it? Both the .max file and the .dae file? (That would be to morrow for me)

Well this turns out to be frustrating.

I recently upgraded to a new computer and to 3ds Max 2013 Design.

Unrigged mesh uploads just fine, that's why I said there were no issues with 2013. I hadn't tried uploading rigged mesh on this machine yet though. But now that I try your model and one I made myself, I se I can't upload any rigged mesh myself. It has to be something very small we are overlooking or some very minor bug. A bug in SL I would assume, since in the upload window the rigging looks like it should. As soon as the skin weights is ticked, the mesh conforms to the skeleton. But when I upload, the mesh is static, like your cylinder.

I tried both the direct export and the fbx 2011.3 converter, I'm using the latest official SL viewer, on the beta grid.

I'll have to get some RL work done, but I'll look into this further ofcourse.

If anyone else has advice, please share.

Thanks for troubleshooting. I am using 3DS Max 2011 64bit, so I dont think its a bug with max, since you tested on 2013. My viewer is Phoenix Firestorm Release v4.1.28744 and also I tested on the aditi beta grid getting the same results. I will also try with different viewers as well as main grid and post results.

Cheers,
Zythal

I got it woking now! thanks to a friend inworld. Its just as you said. I forgot to do something very basic. Tick the 'include skin weights' in the last tab of the Upload window. 

See if you also forgot to do that.

Im of to make some meshes.

Thanks to everyone in this post for the valuable information provided.

Cheers.
Zythal

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.