Sign in to follow this  
geekress1488313025

CAN NOT GET SECOND LIFE TO RUN ON COMPUTER

i have had second life on my computer in the past.  it was compeletly removed a few months ago.  i have currently been trying to get it to run on my computer. i have followed all instructions but when i try to run the game is says second life is not responding. my laptop is a year old and is able to run the game i just can't get it to play.

please, any suggestions...

The SL Viewer keeps a crash log in C:\Users\[windows_login_id]\AppData\Roaming\Secondlife\logs

The actual crash log is hard to read, at least for me it is. The SL log is much easier to read and has the info you need.

You can open it with any plain text editor. Start at the end of the file and read backward toward the beginning. You will find warnings and errors. Those should give you some idea what's going wrong. If you are running a little low on geek, post the errors here and we'll try to help.

Also, it helps us to know if the viewer never opens or fails after you try to login.

If it is after login, open Preferenes before logging in and set you graphics to LOW. If that solves the problem then it is a graphics driver problem.

In the last couple of months the viewer has gained a number fixes for OpenGL, the graphics foundation of the SL Viewer. That has created some problems for machines running with pre-mid year 2011 drivers.

i know a super tech savy guy and he was trying to help yesterday.  graphics card has been updated, and the game will not run. i can not get to the point where i can even sign in.

kind of bummed about it, my friend could not figure it out either which makes me feel a little hopeless. 

ok. i have tried a few different viewers and can not get the game to even start up.

i just don't know what to do anymore.  so confused as to what the problem is.

i even put the old version i downloaded a long time ago onto a memory stick then onto my computer to see if i could run that and have it update itself but that was a no go.

is there a 3rd party viewer that runs easier that i do not know of?

We need more information from you if we are going to help.  Please reply with:

1)  Laptop/computer model (including OS, CPU, Memory, and Graphics Card.)

2)  What happens when you double click the icon?  Do you get a window?  Do you get a crash report?  We need to know what you mean by 'doesn't run'....

3)  Post the last 20-30 lines of the log flie that Nata directed you to look at.

Are you trying to run the latest SL 3.2.8 version?  When I upgraded to that viewer, I has login issues and if I got logged. in, I could not get anything to rez and had to log back out or I crashed.  It was worse if I had voice chat enabled.  So I wiped it off my laptop entirely.  Then I installed a fairly old version of phoenix viewer (available in the release notes section of the phoenix wiki).  I ran that version and it was ok, except mesh objects did not display correctly.  So I wiped that one off and installed the 1.6.0.0 version of Phoenix which includes mesh display and it all runs fine.  I've read on here, and I saw it firsthand myself that the newest SL viewer totally eats up the CPU.  That may be part of the problem, but there seems to be a real issue enabling the voice chat in the new SL viewer, at least for me.  So I recommend you try what I did.  Also I found the ZEN viewer works well and takes up a lot less of your resources, just doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the SL or Phoenix viewer.

Hope this helps.

it is an acer laptop

model: aspire 5552

3.74 gigs useable

64 bit

nothing happens. the game will install but will not run. not even open.  i could not open the crash log file or i would have posted it. even that said it was waiting on sever 1 but then wasn't responding.

that is really all the info i have.  everything within the last week has been updated inc. graphics card.

the game will stop loading at vhs.. i think that's what it says, a bit dyslexic but im sure is vhs... wait that is a movie player.. it just won't load the game and i can have it sit there for 1/2 hour trying to load up but refuses and i have to close it all down.

geekress wrote:

it is an acer laptop

model: aspire 5552

3.74 gigs useable

64 bit

You were running SL successfully on this Lap Top? 

Review Of The Aspire 5552 by C-Net (new window)

"The 5552 can't cope with 3D gaming, for example. That's not just because the processor isn't up to the task, but also because its ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics card lacks grunt. In the 3DMark06 benchmark test, it struggled to a score of 1,788, which is a long way off what's needed to be able to play today's first-person shooters at a decent frame rate."

Hi geekress, I had an older acer that I was able to run the rainbow viewer on, with great lag, I might add but at least I was able to get on, maybe try that viewer. I don't know though, if it's not even loading up on your computer when you download it, it could be that that laptop will just not be able to run SL at all. Could be time to look at a new computer. :-(

Heart

yeah i was running it just fine.   everything worked great!

i have tried a number of 3rd party viewers, the beta and the seondlife viewer that is at top for download.  i can install it but when i try to run no matter what viewer it just doesn't respond. 

:(

geekress wrote:

yeah i was running it just fine.   everything worked great!

i have tried a number of 3rd party viewers, the beta and the seondlife viewer that is at top for download.  i can install it but when i try to run no matter what viewer it just doesn't respond. 

:(

not sure what your definition of great is.

the only thing i can suggest is you try a clean install.

with out more info it would be hard for anyone to help you.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=clean_reinstall

ppl keep telling me the same things.

i have done a clean install

my comp. is just over a year old and has a lot of room on it. its not hte computer.

i have tried a lot of 3rd party viewers they do the same thing.

by great i mean it didn't lag much and it worked great.

We really can't help you if we don't know what's under the hood of your computer. What type of graphics card to you have? What's the memory? The hard drive? Things such as that. If you don't provide us with information, then all we can do is give suggestions on what to try. 

Heart

Heart Brimmer wrote:

We really can't help you if we don't know what's under the hood of your computer. What type of graphics card to you have? What's the memory? The hard drive? Things such as that. If you don't provide us with information, then all we can do is give suggestions on what to try. 

Heart

all the specs are listed in the Cnet review i linked above.

geekress wrote:

ppl keep telling me the same things.

i have done a clean install

my comp. is just over a year old and has a lot of room on it. its not hte computer.

i have tried a lot of 3rd party viewers they do the same thing.

by great i mean it didn't lag much and it worked great.

If everything used to work great but now no viewer runs on it then something changed on your computer. What did you do just before and after this started?

geekress wrote:

my building was hit on fire and my lap top was fried.

i sent it back to toronto canda to be fixed. i lost everything.

other then that i have just been trying to get things back up.

To be clear here, did they repair your lap top or replace it? 

A lap top "fried" in a fire does nor sound repairable.

And if it was replaced, was it replaced with the same exact model?

There are some suggestions made for someone else with your graphics card in this thread:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Viewers/Is-viewer2-doesn-t-work-on-windows7-64bit/qaq-p/851345

Beyond this the issue is above my technical ability.  It is possible if your lap top was repaired  or replaced that there is a change in hardware that is causing your problem now. 

sorry,  a lot going on yesterday.

the building i live in was hit by lightening.  it fried my computer... they fixed it they did not replace it.

i will check that link out but i have to admit i am on the cusp of giving up.

thanks for all the help!!!