Exporting BVH animation from Maya for upload to SL

BigFetus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Someone gimme a hand here please.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. I found a script after a long search that let me export my animation as a BVH. However, when I go to upload the animation into SL, I get a little message saying that it was unable to read the file, and they suggest uploading BVHs from Poser 4. 

Anyway around trying to get Poser? Dunno if it's any different, but I'm on a Mac.

Thanks.

You don't need Poser at all. There are lots of free programs to make animations with.

As for your specific problem, I'd guess you are not exporting from the SL skeleton. So, you have to find an SL avatar with the skeleton, animate on that, and then export it. There might be some import/export tool that will match up the bones. I have never used Maya, so i have no clue.

Thanks tons! :D

The hip wasn't named properly is what turned out being the problem. Now though, the hip just stays in the neutral position while everything else moves around it the entire time. Looks ridiculous. I tried to rename every joint based on a heirarchy I found on this forum, but that just made the character do completely crazy nonsense and still didn't move the hip any. =_=

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.