Quick Question on account..

Kelz Spiegel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all i have a quick question..my friends and i ran into some griefers today..1 was going on to say he "steals" accounts..all was said on mic..Is that possible?? 

He went on to say this wasnt his 1st time being on SL as he had a perma ban before but got got back on thru another IP...these people DO scare me...so when im told my account is gonne be stolen..i was just wondering again..if thats possible..

Ty

Well, it's the internet. It's certainly possible, if the person is skilled enough, that they could find a way to HACK your account. If they're running around boasting about it, though, I somehow doubt it.

Just in case, there are a few things you can do. One is to change your password in case this person somehow got access to it; make it something difficult to guess. You can also change your email; if they know your email and know or find out your email password, they can get in that way. (This is if you're very paranoid that this person has somehow found a way into your account. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if you haven't given out your password, and don't have it set to something ridiculously easy to guess.)

In the meantime, send an abuse report on this person if you still remember their name. You can search for them through inworld search, open their profile, click the little icon that looks like a gear, and choose "Report." Explain what was said, provide chat logs if you have them (I know you said much of this was said over voice), and let LL figure it out.

ETA: Most of the time, when I've read about accounts being stolen or hacked, it's from people who gave out their passwords to a friend or partner who then stole the account. As long as you're not giving out your password, you SHOULD be okay provided you haven't run across a serious, skilled hacker.

I instantly mute/block and walk away from morons like the griefers you've encountered today.  Most of them are talking a load of bullsh1t, and really are not worth the time of day.

It is possible that they have been "permabanned" and have created an alt and returned - this is not unusual - but ask yourself, if you could hack into someone's Second Life account, wouldn't you rather be hacking into the main banking systems of the world?

You have nothing to be scared of, as long as you are not in the habit of giving out private information, such as passwords and pin numbers, to anyone at all (not even your nearest and dearest actually).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.