Sign in to follow this  
Milla Michinaga

Skirt not uploading with Smoothing

Is it not possible to upload mesh items, a skirt in this case, with the mesh smoothed out?  My skirt looks perfect in Maya with smoothing, but it looks all bulky and jagged when I upload it to SL.  Or do we have to build and upload withouth smoothing?

(I hope my question makes sense)

Thanks

Hi Betty :)

Thanks for replying. I mean the smoothing that happen with the shortcut keys 1, 2, and 3 "subdivDisplaySmoothnes - Smoothness 3"  I'm sorry I don't know how to explain better! :)

I'm a Blender user, but I think I know the issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have a low-poly model and you're using some sort of modifier to make it look smooth by subdividing the faces. These modifiers don't carry over into SL, which would explain why SL is showing the bulky low-poly version of your model. Maya must have a function somewhere to apply the modifier,subdivDisplaySmoothness, that you are using. I don't use Maya, so I don't know where that function might be. But after that, simply export again and SL should display the model as it was meant to look.

Hi Milla :)  The smoothing that happens when you hit the 3 key is only kind of a preview really of what it will look like if you use the Mesh - Smooth command.  That will not import.  What you see when you have 1 selected is what you're going to actually get.

• Like 1

Did you use Nurbs or Polygons?

In any event try deleting History and Freezing Transformations before you export your mesh.

Oh an I suggest saving a backup before deleting history just incase.

Just to add, if you turn on the Polycount display (Display Menu>Heads Up Display>Polycount) and then press the 1, 2 and 3 keys you can see the polycount for your model increase dramatically as that 'smoothing' occurs.

Yes, there is, but to apply that effect is a different  command. In the Polygons Tool bar , go to the item "mesh" and under that pick  "smooth" and then pplay with the  attributes by changing the farious options, When you have it the way you like hit the button" and the mesh should look like what your result would be under "2" on the leyboard. do it again to get the "3" result look alike. This will make the polygon count Huge, though and may makke it too exxpensive to load into SL, so use the smooth option VERY carefully.

• Like 1