Question About SL

DiabloDemon1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I just got my new desktop and it only has 3.00 GB of memory. I know to run SL you have to atleast have 8.00 GB of memory. My question is that I will not be able to upgrade my new desktop with what I need for quite sometime. I would like to know if I keep running SL with this much memory will it cause any damage to the computer or will it just make it run really really slow? thanks!

if you are using windows 32 bit it caps out utilizing only 4 gb of ram..but that's also counting the other things taking up that space..like video cards and anything else..usually your ram will show around like 3.2  to 3.6 gig with 4gb  of ram in there depending on what else is taking up the use..

if you are on 64 bit..then you have room to go up and reap away  hehehe

i am guessing you are talking about mian memory (RAM in olden day terms) if so, then 3GB is enough, as long as you arent running too many other programmes at the same time. I only have 4gb memory and it is plenty good. what you DO need to concentrate on is making sure you have a good graphics car. mine is a 1GB dual core nvidia. this is what does most of the work in SL. so Run only SL while in SL and you shouldnt have any problems, and no, it wont do damage to your computer, if you run several programmes at one, you computer may have trouble prioritising tasks and this may make SL run sl or crash.

I don't know who told you that 8 gigs of RAM was necessary for SL.  Depending on your graphics card 2 gigs will give you great performance (even less).  You might have misunderstood someone about RAM since it's pretty common knowledge that you can't have too much memory for SL.......the more the better.  But there is only so much system memory can do to make SL run better.  That would be about 4 to 6 gigs for an otherwise average computer with a mid-level graphics card..........less with a high end computer and a high performance graphics card.  3 gigs is plenty for fair SL performance on an average mid-level computer (say $500 or $600 HP desktop).  More system RAM will help if you run a lot of background services and programs.  SL typically uses about 300 to 500 megs of system RAM........without a lot of background stuff going 3 gigs is plenty.  If your video card has no onboard video RAM it will get it from your system RAM.  But only about 500 gigs. 

Just don't run a lot of background stuff and 3 gigs will do you just fine.

My machine only has 2G of RAM and a mid-range graphics card, and I have no problems running SL with a few programmes also running, although two of those other programmes are passive - email and browser. I can't set SL's "Quality and Performance" to Ultra, of course, but that doesn't matter to me.

I know someone with 16GB of ram.

To the OP: Regardless of what you're doing on a computer, more RAM is preferable, as it helps boost processing power.

My laptop has 4GB of RAM. Because of the way my laptop is built, with both a crummy Intel chip, and a decent Nvidia chip, SL only sees the Intel chip, even though other programs see the Nvidia if it's needed. The extra RAM is what allows me to use SL with the lower end chip, as it helps boost it's capabilities. 

In saying that, any time I connect my laptop to my TV, SL then registers the Nvidia chip. Really odd, and I've no way of changing this behaviour to cover me when I'm not connected to the TV.

But yes, 4GB of RAM is plenty, even if the graphics chip isn't the best, as it'll generally allow you to play on low settings at least. 

Generally speaking SL will only use up to 1.5GB RAM.

There are many computer performance issues that can participate in SL experience quality. One of the most overlooked is age of motherboard. If it is an older mobo then the graphics card I/O is attached to the northbridge half of the chipset (chipset handles all I/O for all peripherals like mouse, KB, drives, etc.) If you have one of these older mobos then you can install the biggest and best graphics card and SL will still be slow because it is bottlenecking at the FSB.

I have never seen anyone discuss the deep technical factors involved. It is because of the mobo design that some people get fantastic FPS while others with the same video card get terrible performance.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.