Jump to content
Martin Emerald

Progeny Vampire System

Recommended Posts


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

"You understand, however, that Linden Lab may disclose your personal or other account-related information under the following circumstances:

To other third parties (a) to provide you with services you have requested,"

This is the wrong section of the ToS (it refers to third parties gaining access to your SL information via LL, not other residents). The part you're looking for is:-

8.3.i

Post or transmit viruses, Trojan horses, worms, spyware, time bombs, cancelbots, or other computer programming routines that may harm the Service or interests or rights of other users, or that may harvest or collect any data or personal information about other users without their consent;

--

Under these rules, your UUID and SL Username are considered public information, and thus may be collected/exported to external sites freely. There is nothing wrong with storing public information outside of SL.

(TL;DR There is nothing to worry about here, in regards to SL privacy or 'avatar rights'. No-one 'used your IP address' to perform a hack, and a third-party site running a homebrew DDoS is also not hacking.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its funny .. you posted  them breaking the TOS and didnt even see it " or that may harvest or collect any data or personal information about other users without their consent

never consented to my UUiD being collected. and it is not public info.. it all belongs to LL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

its funny .. you posted  them breaking the TOS and didnt even see it "
or that may harvest or collect any data or personal information about other users without their consent

never consented to my UUiD being collected. and it is not public info.. it all belongs to LL.

I addressed it. Your UUID is public information; it is necessary for everyone in SL to be able to see and collect this information for millions and millions of uses.

It doesn't break ToS.

--

SOURCE

"Certain account information is displayed to other users in your Second Life profile, and may be available through automated script calls and application program interfaces. This information includes your account name, account type, the date your account was established, whether or not you are currently online, user rating information, group and partner information, and whether or not you have established a payment account or transaction history with Linden Lab."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Debbie Xaris wrote:

 who is to say they wont try to hack LL?

 

Indeed and who is to say that any group won't try to hack LL? in this day and age when Sony's play station network and Microsft's xbox live have been hacked.

Who is to say the atm machine you withdraw cash from hasn't been tampered with and your card will be used for hamster porn in Venezuela?

It's called trust, we have to have it as if we trust nobody we panic ourselves into the grave early.  It must be so sad to be so paranoid.

 


you must be new. If not, did we forget when some of the Emerald Devs did just that and used our IP addresses to crash someones website? its not paranoia when it actually happens.

Just to keep things factual, it was ONE of their Dev's that did it, not some.

For all the ranting that went on before this incident about the Emerald Dev's being haxors, etc,  and with the number of (technically savvy) people who wanted to bring them all down, I am not aware of any one ever producing any evidence of any other exploits in the Emerald code.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The short of it is that Progeny is data collecting and they've found a way to make it much more efficient way of doing it then a crawler ever could.

 

The data collected by people power and stored on their servers can be sold to a third party and we may get spam, hacks, cross referencing hacking, alt patrol. All things that could be done. Redline repeat anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things stored for the Progeny system are encrypted so much that even if you lose or forget your password to the website they have to reset it and you do it all over. If you are not in the Progeny system then you have nothing to be worried about, it would be like sneezing, you don't get on your hands and knees and look for your germs so why worry about a little blood that you don't need to begin with since you aren't playing the system. Stop freaking out that your info will be sold to third parties or whoever... You have more chances for that to happen when you log on the net, your email or other websites then with Progeny. Go to the website or the Progeny sim and get more info before you freak out. It may do you all some good. Btw, there are other vampire systems in SL becides Progeny and Bloodlines just so you know. (Insert freak out here) lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My spelling isnt the best so plz forgiv.Vampire RP is based off of books movies ideas ect. ask you r self this when was the lasttime a vamp asked permission to bite? That doesnt make for realisteic RP. Now Martin I respect your opion and your fellings about Progeny but to compare it to  RL rape,no its not even close,but I understand if your using it in the context or "were raping your rights,or ruthing them or damamging your property,and we look at our avi's as our property,altho they are intangable and they are in real time in our real lives,you bring up a good point and if i fely like you i would feel it a good point,I dont agree with you,our Bitting causes you no damage and im sure you had to put in some work to find out about us,but I feel strong ly about some SL issues ,but not this on,Do you call the power company when you loose power and reprt avi damage,of course you dont,I see your want to have the choice I dont see how your so upset but to each his own,Im sure it will be changed do to now the word is out,But to me its making a mountain out of a moll hill, Yes we can go round n round on these and im sure we will never agree but in a game or Metaverse it really is trivial,now in RL danm right there  should be choices but this is just fantasy rp ,gamming in a metaverse I cant git too  upset about this kind of stuff,Have a good one and theres my 2 cents :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad that you put your trust so deeply in the system. So did a lot of other companies. Quick reference to CNN http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/27/technology/rsa_hack_widespread/index.htm and that's a very quick and superficial search for the largest companies hacked. I've had to change passwords for 3 different sites I'm active on because someone got a hold of their hashed password files. Oh, btw, there is online groups who specialize in brute force hacking these files. It took about 7 weeks to hack with the combined effort of 250 or so PCs.

Find this story in the Progeny forums just for giggles.

Reason: Hacking The Website and or Exploitation of a System Bug while participating in a Beta Test System and refusing to provide requested debugging information relevant to said Bug.

Nelapsi Gloom was able to circumvent the security system of the website in order to access restricted information and subsequently refused to divulge how she was able to Hack the site's security, though she did admit to doing it.

this constitutes an extreme violation of Progeny's TOS. and well as a violation of the spirit of an open and Free Beta Test System.

This decision is hereby passed down on 05/24/2012 by the Source, with Corroboration Evidence Presented by Diabolics Super Dexing and Oberon Eames.

Lachiel

 

A very interesting security related story. In other words Progeny has already been hacked in the beta stage.

 

Not the point I am trying to make however. My only reason is to point out all the things that could be done with that information the progeny gamers so faithfully collect for them. I know my data is being collected anywhere I go and it is hard to stop. Some people do take issue with it and therefor we now have tracking cookie killers and websites opening up their policies online on what kind of data is collected. SL could use a better data tracking policy.

 

I'll end with this figure of speach. Maybe you should do a little more research on the topic, Sparkling, before you tell everyone to relax because the Titanic can never sink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im going to put in my two peneth. I have not read all this rant but I recently met a very nice progeny player in East. I asked him about the game and he took time to explain. He even told me he was feeding from me but would not drain me. I told him go ahead...As it was not harming me in anyway. For heavens sake, do we get the same uproar over other RP systems. For example Hunger players regularly hang out in vastly populated places and drain blood.  

Just to reiterate....I did not at all feel like I was being "raped" as one poster  called it. It was just a harmless bit of fun and I actually made a new friend who says hello everytime I see him on that sim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently I found out that I was leached on. I wasn't asked, I wasn't told, no communications at all. I got suspicious because the person stood near me and I knew that he uses Progeny. After some checking I could confirm my suspicions.


To up his score my avatar name and key were used and in that way I am used. That person is rewarded with a score for collecting my data so they can store it on their servers.


It is the same kind of harmless little fun a virus/trojan uses to get you defences down. Now that your name is collected the user name can be correlated with a password list that has been collected from other hacking intrusions and we can start using random password attempts on the Second Life servers. One wrong login there, one wrong there, next one is right. Now we can start emptying their linden balance and make the account in to one to spam. If it gets banned, oh well, we'll hack another.


Saying hello to someone is called social engineering. It might be out of genuine interest for you or you are now an easy trusting blood source for this game so they can up their score.


My 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The two previous posters: Why are either of you worried about it at all?  What devastation does it reek on your SL existence?  I would hasten to think... absolutely nothing.  Why even worry yourselves over it?

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all, I stumbled across this posting and would like to add my own words.

Personally I am highly thinking of becoming a Progeny Vampire. My reason? Simple...its because of those I have seen, read about etc...Progeny seems the most realistic. Sure I know in real life Vampires don't exist but in the many stories I've read, the victims never had a choice either...unless they are given the choice to be turned.

Of course if there were real Vampires in RL that would create havoc. But since there isn't and since this is SL we are speeking of...well we are juts only Pixals after all. Being bitten even without knowing it does not hurt, maim or kill anyone in RL. Like one of the posters in this conversation had stated...why bother being upset by this? SL is a game technically...nothing in SL can hurt you in RL. Sure your feelings might get hurt at some point if you're one of those easy peasy vulnerable types, but it won't kill you. As that poster said the only way to know they had been bitten is by going to another to be scanned. So what...it doesn't affect your avatar in the world, there is no animations to it.

At the moment I am a Bloodlines player. Personally those friends I meet in the beginning I tell them what I am I will explain all I know, and let them decide if they would like to be turned. I don't bite with out permission...never have.But I am a type who likes things more on a realistic level...meaning if there were RL vampires, a victim would NOT get the choice...period.

In roleplay that is how I like it...the more realistic the better. Sure I like seeing the animations in SL, but hey there is so many who are just down right rude. When I went to hunt...even though when you bite someone with bloodlines it lets them accept or deny it...I still always IM that person and ask...because when I was first turned I was told that you can be in trouble for random biting. My personally asking them in IM gives me the log of that message....in case it is needed. I have never copied someone's private conversation with me to anyone else...but if it came down to it and it was needed to defend my honor etc...I would do it.

But...it is not realistic...nor it is not how vampires do. They do not just go around and 'Ask' to bite someone or take their soul or to turn them, they'd just do it. Further more....hunting has become a huge issue in the past 3 yrs I have been in SL and into Bloodlines....I hunt...and people are just plain outright rude. Which is uncalled for seeing as I did ask and NOT send a random bite to them and take their soul.

As I stated above, and to agree with those others who believe onominous biting is ok...I believe it should be like that.

And to the person who compared this to rape. OMG how can you compare that...it is NOT anything sexual and therefore would and should never be compared to rape. I have never taken a soul through a sexual nature and would never do so. But as the first poster stated about Progeny being fairly new...if this is so new, then the Progeny Vamps would have to be able to somehow feed as well.

This is a game, games are to be fun. To Progeny it is. As with all others who find their passion...why is it they are allowed to have that passion...yet when it comes to vampires they are not allowed. Take Gor for example....the subs, slaves, kajiras etc...sure they choose to be one...but in RL in the medieval ages they had no choice either.

So why is it that people have to complain about something others like to do, yet other things that would surely include rape is all ok? I have seen sims that allow rape...its ghastly...but there are some who like it...and I don't see people trying to get that done away with. Yet when it comes to Vampires were abominations and need to be wiped out.

Well I say leave it alone. If you're going to leave sims like the rape sims alone then leave Vampires alone too because we are better than that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a necro post, but I read it anyhow.

 

Sounds like another annoying bloodlines inspired system trying to avoid the stigma bloodlines has by not asking for bite permissions.  Which is to say its likely a money making plan by whoever is crafting it. Unfortunately, in second life, permission should be the assumption.  And if people get annoyed by all the bite requests, the system should change, not hide.

Honestly claims of realism are just silly.  I mean, if you want to say the vampire system in the online world you play is 'realistic' then you should consider that lots of other people play characters that most certainly would have a choice about being bitten or not by a vampire. They can believe that they can grab and bite people in their head, I can believe that biting me causes vampires heads to explode or whatever.  Neither one matters because there is no meaningful RP between the two players, not even a cursory animation.

But, after all is said and done, if there is no way for the targets to know, and it is just an entry in an database somewhere, all the complaining in the world wont do anything.  Because at that point it doesnt matter.  The system is crafted to force these vampire players to have to 'bite' random people in order to play their game, so they will do it.  There is probably an item to let them 'feed' for just a few lindens if they cant find a target too, just like bloodlines.

Honestly there should be some item that lets one 'opt-out' of the system as a whole, like the garlic necklace or whatnot, just remove themselves from that database and go on with their life if they happen to notice the system like the OP, instead of getting all worked up over it.  It will save them grief in the long run.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That reply was out of anger. Since then I have found peace, well not entirely. But I've finally found a home in Progeny, and it's quite pleasing. I don't have to worry bout the ones that sent me on my way, I just avoid them now,but if I do run into them, I am nice and say hello, but that is the extent of that. I do like being able to feed when I want, do what I want, etc. I honestly have now taken these last few months to get to know quite a few people in Progeny, and even my new liege is awesome. Just like Bloodlines, we have the rift-raft from there, and there are some that just opt out by deleting the HUD and walking away totally, because Progeny is scripted by one person so the updates are slow in process, but you'll have that with any system in reality when it's scripted by one person, yes there is a team, but a lot of the team is off dealing with petty arguments between house leaders. while some of us just stay in the shadows and play there. There is even a nice SIM there for us to use, and some other cool things are happening now in Progeny and on the SIM. The true plus side to Progeny is you really don't have to buy anything to RP with. The HUD is free upon being Embraced. With the right help, and right set of friends, you can have a blast being a vampire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I said realistic *must not have read fullY* I did state 'IF' Vampires were real in the rl world. Then yes it would be realistic....other than that I spoke merely from stories Ive read that included vampirism. And which btw since my post, I have had someone feed on me. No I hadn't known until he told me. No I wasn't bothered by it...simply because it has no effect on your avy in world what so ever. The vampire can feed on me til my blood is nearly gone...which replenishes in a day or so...so whats the problem? You don't have to 'bu' anything to replenish that blood etc... and maybe before you start thinking or even claiming they use something that may make a Linden buck off of feeding on someone...you are dead wrong in that area.

Since my post I have learned that Progeny has been out for a little over a year...they do not hide anything unlike another Vampire system I have heard of. But I have heard Progeny has since a year ago been on the road to being the number one vampire system. Which would mean that will past Bloodlines in that aspect....and is free to play...unlike Bloodlines. Also there are a great many who use the vampire systems for purple roleplay. I can't understand why there is so many people out there who want to try stopping something others clearly enjoy....like roleplaying for example. As stated in these systems information and such the systems were created as such...for a roleplaying with a realistic feature...nothing more. And if it is not physically maiming your avy, killing it etc...then personally I feel as does many others that it shouldnt matter.

Others allow rape sims, force sex sims etc....so what different does it make that this system is out and is being used? In those sims the victim does not give a choice, If particular sims do not want Progeny players to random bite...then they can put up a sign in the loading area to warn against it as Bloodlines does...or take bloodlines for example they have a garlic necklace for those not wanting to be bitten....so why make it is so you have to get persmission to bite? When the necklace is there?

Personally I believe those against it are only ranting because they themselves perhaps haven't found something they themselves deeply enjoy.

So many may answer this.....if you were one of those types against the not getting permission....and you happen to move along and find something extremely interesting to you and really enjoy doing...then others come along to try banning it or take it from you...wouldnt you be upset by it?

I believe let people be and allow them to do the things they enjoy without them others constantly complaining. Those others just complain too much and are ones who complain on a regular basis about various things just to be a part of something they can try help get banned or removed. That is not quite fair for those who enjoy doing the things these people complain about.

Just let it be....it hurts no one. Also these vampires as I have seen have been coming out more and more...they are not hidden they make it known what they are....therefore people who know what they are can ask them to please not bite them...hopefully they listen to the request and not bite and be respectful. I do know some people out there may not listen, lets hope they will have some respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With progeny you don't have a bite request to send so you never really know who is a vampire in that system or not. Yes you have to be within a certain meter to bite them, but there is no requests, hence Progeny is a spam free system. No requests, No souls to collect and so forth. A lot of the progeny members do come from bloodlines where they got tired of being sales people and so forth. While yes the HUD and Fangs we get are free. There are some things one can buy to enhance their RP experience. Plus Progeny has a wonderful SIM to RP on. Even though a lot of the time it's empty unless there are events held there. Unlike Bloodlines it is really frowned upon biting a new resident under 30 days old, result could mean that Sire's death and so forth. But unlike Bloodlines, you need potency to bite so you can't just go out and embrace anyone. You gain potency with age and so forth. We as a vampire community are trying to improve it and so forth, but it's a long process and a lot of people are getting upset and walking away because the updates are not like bloodlines where there is a team designing,.scripting the HUDS, and tools used. We have one person scripting the HUD, while another designs the outlook of it. After all Progency is an Eco-System in a virtual world. Nothing is perfect, and things do get screwed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes i have just encountered someone who is in this progeny system who bit me without knowing it, tbh was a bit annoyed and made sure did not affect BL system i am in, i am heavily involed in Bloodlines and am a vampire but i disagree with random biting totally. This girl also confirmed that you can be killed ont his system but i want nothing to do with it and i am a vampire with a lot of experience.

Luckily Bloodlines has just installed a new hud to all in BL so maybe why so you are reassured your actual blood level is ok .

Also ppl beware this girl asked to add me and as Martin Emerald states you are stuck in it, I declined before even knowing as I dont get involved with systems know nothing about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree thats the thing they start talking to you to get you in this system which if this keeps happening will report it as jsut dont need to talk to nobodys while out and about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At end of day ppl have free choice and have read some responses from ppl who are in this system and yes vampires do bite humans but its not for me,  a lot of predjudice against vampires in SL as it is, with BL random biters (which i acknowledge) so this system wont help yes you may not know about it but if you are told i can see a few ppl getting hacked off with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry meant to say yes i do bite humans of course ot feed but with permission only and only my minions, ppl who say why worry they may not be in bloodlines which if you are destroyed takes a lot of lindens to correct and destorys all yoru minons so its a big deal for a vampire on SL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still though, Bloodlines has made MARS Bracken a Millionaire from the HUD, which is 599L$ for each one. So think about it. FREE against 599L$ per HUD, hm , That's a no brainer, I'd go with Free, yes I am apart of both, but I honestly perfer Progeny over bloodlines a lot better, I knew about Progeny way before I was even asked to join the system, I mean honestly don't complain about a system because you really NO nothing about it. Yes it has it's issues still, but true vampire lore does not have you collecting souls, nor a forever amulet, that is the beauty of progeny, there is NONE of that. You don't have to feed daily, and you can't just bite a noob that is say oh I dont know, 0days old by buying them a HUD and then turning them loose on the SL Universe. I've been a BL Vamp since I was joined SL which was 6-22-2010, Was TAUGHT nothing and turned loose on the world, it wasn't until I left that clan I was in because I would NOT hunt noobies. Sorry personal pref, I will not hunt someone that is entirely new to SL, and that 14 day rule, is even more retarded because you can bypass it by gifting them, or having them buy the HUD and wham you're in the database. with Progeny all it ever tells you is "SO-SO is a quick and healthy" and or "SO-So is a Shade" So sorry but if I scan someone that comes back as "Quick and healthy" Well then I'm biting you without consent. just lets us know if you're human or not. Personally yes at one time I hated both systems, and well in all honesty, I dislike the spamires and spamcans from BL more so then Progeny. VAMPIRES are SUPPOSE TO BE STEALTH, NOT collecting souls, and whatnot, and being a damn sales person just to make another resident rich from it. I hold 11 souls from ex friends that no longer partake in second life at all, I could just dump them into the abyss and be done with it, but no, I'm helping another friend by making a family with them so they can avoid all the DRAMA that lives in other clans. So honestly Rosalee..If someone kills you in progeny, why **bleep**? You hate it, and don't want no parts of it. And really AR's are pretty much mute, because in reality LL doesn't ban against them. Easiest way to ignore it , is just right click and select MUTE ...And sorry but I see those not in progeny as free game for a meal. so beware, if I'm out and about, and I scan you and see "Healthy,Sick,Clammy,Near Death" I will finish the job as just means another player didn't do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Martin Emerald wrote:

It is your right not to be involved, if you do not want to. Linden
labs
needs to do something about it. pass trhe word around and get toehrs to take notice. maybe then they wil make the creators or progeny fix thier system.

Also, it's Linden LAB not LABS. what you spout is bullsh**. IF you don't like it, AR them, but please do NOT compare a "GAME" of vampires to rape...just unreal. *walks away shaking her head*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Martin Emerald wrote:

Also, it’s hard to credit SL residents with sense if they are unaware of what is happening. Until I posted there was NO postings about the Progeny system. 

Another thing, NO actual blood was taken, NO ONE'S soul was harmed, we are all AVATARS in this virtual reality called Second Life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, in a nutshell, your Progeny hud scans avs and tells you their race and health... according to who? If you scan me will it say demon or drow or lycan or whatever i happen to be at that moment? Again i say.. leave those of us that are not part of your RP, OUT OF IT. Why do you need a hud to RP anyway? HUD based RP is all about the money, you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

 

ETA.. my issue with this system is: My UUID and screen name is on a Non-SecondLife server without my consent. That is against the TOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...