Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martin Emerald

Progeny Vampire System

610 posts in this topic

No it does not , and it does not record your User name  and UUID like so many think it does, All it tells me is this.

"Progeny: Vampire HUD 0.3.1.0: S0-So is a Shade"<<Meaning they are already dead and we can not feed off them, even though some don't scan, and if they do, you vomit dead mans blood now.

Progeny: Vampire HUD 0.3.1.0: So-So is a Quick and looks Healthy<<that's all you get when you scan then,

If you are not in PROGENY doesn't matter what you are, whether a BL Vamp/Lycan/Hybrid/ Human, whatever. YOU ARE A HUMAN IN PROGENY.

now if you scan another vampire, in progeny, you get their stats, how old they are, what rank they are, and their blood supply.

If you are so concerned about your user name, and UUID being put on a website, maybe you just log out of SL all together. as for the HUD ,

It's a ROLE PLAY AIDE, meaning we within the vampire community are doing it. Do you complain about DCS, CSS, GM, and etc for COMBAT that also requires your user name and UUID. I think not, so why are you worrying about something as small as vampires just walking up to you, and killing you and not thinking twice. It's a virtual GAME after all, and EVERYTHING is about money, but these HUDS, you can't get unless you are given instructions how to get ,and therefore Not just anyone can get them unless they decide to become apart of progeny, THE HUD and FANGS are free, but you can buy other things to enhance your RP Experience, just like in another other MMORPG..Yes there are a lot of free games out there, but still if you wish to enhance your character, you add to it.

But in all honesty, if you are truly worried about the privacy ...I sugged you read this link then,

Progeny Privacy Policy

Sorry but I read the TOS, and it doesn't really say anything like that, it was re-editted back in 2010,  and the privacy policy was redone back in October of 2011 <<So to me that means, they have no plans of really doing anything as Bloodlines registers you regardless of you being apart of a family or not, The minute you get bit, or a lycan scratch, your name goes into the database.

And the website is mor e of a social gathering IE: Social network for us. Doesn't really mean much, you can play progeny, and not register for the website, but if you want to build a RP Community you do it ,and make friends through there, and then find them in-world as well. So my suggestion to you on this Drake..DEAL WITH IT, because Vampires/Lycans, and so forth are not going anywhere. All you can do is like I've said before, RIGHT CLICK and MUTE, because you think you get rid of 1, 10 more will pop up.

where, exactly, is the role play aid here? you wander SL randomly biting people without their consent, the HUD obviously tracks who you have bitten, and yet you don't interact with the people you bite?  The HUD decides what race  and health people are even if they are not part of the system...

Bloodlines registers you IF you accept the bite/claw. Progeny registers you with asking for your permission. You really dont see a difference there?

and No, i wont DEAL WITH IT!  Why do you have to invovle random people that want nothing to do with your RP? Why is it an invite only system? What are you hiding?

LadyShad0wz Greymoon wrote:

It's a ROLE PLAY AIDE, meaning we within the vampire community are doing it. Do you complain about DCS, CSS, GM, and etc for COMBAT that also requires your user name and UUID. I think not, so why are you worrying about something as small as vampires just walking up to you, and killing you and not thinking twice.

I know what you mean, but the question "why are you worrying about something as small as vampires just walking up to you, and killing you" doesn't half sound funny.   Only in SL.

The distinction that's worrying people, I think, is that combat systems require both people to be willing participants.    If I'm wandering round a sim where they use DCS or GM or whatever, the system's not going to be aware of me unless I chose to participate by putting a hud on.    I'm not saying that I'm particularly bothered by someone from Progeny "biting" me if I'm unaware of it, as part of what sounds to me a bit like trainspotting for vampires, but I think that's the distinction that is worrying some people.

My two cents, and to be honest I didnt read all the posts here, so if I say something dumb I'm just basically commenting on vampire type games in general in SL.

Progeny, from my understanding, allows the vampires to attack without asking if its Ok to nibble on their victims. I also beleive these attacks occur only on the Progeny sim, not anywhere in SL. I say that only because when I did look into it Progeny was still being worked on and was only something people could play if they were invited. I dont know if that changed.

IMO, I dont want to play vampire if I have to ask permission to bite someone. I enjoy the element of risk/danger suspense that comes with walking into a vampire zone and actually being subject to attack. Someone walking over and politely asking me if I wouldnt mind terrible if they bit me sort of reeks of Twilight. I want a vampire to spring from the shadows and tear my throat out.

I also think it should be only on the Progeny sim, not random. If i'm in the mall in a non Progeny area then dont you dare bite me. But if i'm in their sim I think consent should be part of allowing me there.

Bloodlines makes a lot of money, but I want some excitement and a little danger, vampires who arnt so social and politically correct.

The main reason, I think, vampires have to ask people's permission is that you need animation permissions to bite people (or animate them in any other way).

While I've never been into vampire rp, I recall friends had great fun on some of the pre-Bloodlines vampire sims, which were all rp.  Yes, there was the business about having to grant animation permissions, but the whole point was in the role-play and (when appropriate) the chase.    They didn't have huds to keep score of how many people they'd bitten or anything; just to play the animations, as you would a hug/kiss anim.

It hasn't changed, you can only be invited by a member already in progeny, as for the biting, it's anywhere really, There is so much still going on in progeny and the damn drama of the "I have a bigger stick then yours mentality" is a HUGE issue at the moment there. While it's nice to be able to do what we do, many still frown on us. When you first land on the SIM it's OCC for new players to seek out information and so forth, but once you take the boat and teleport down, it is all In Character on the SIM, though sadly as of late it's been pretty dead there cause of the cliques, and petty drama. Most times you can find some of us not shoved up each other's backsides holding RP Classes for those that are beginners, or wanting to brushen up their skills, and we are trying to form a guideline for extended roleplay

and yes that is for the animations in the fangs for bloodlines, at this moment progeny has fangs that work only on other vampires, and I believe there is no request to animate them, you're avatar just animates itself now, but that may change in the future.

I'm really shocked to find a vampire bit me using the progeny hud, I think it is an abuse and a violation of my person without my permission is bitten, this should not be allowed in Second Life, you can not force me to to participate in a role play that I'm not interested.

My avatar appears as dead, know this is really disgusting.

There is no solution to this which makes it even more violation of the integrity, the only solution is to form part of the role play and explain as I am not interested in participating.

demanto that my humanity is returned because it was not notified or invited to play the game. attack is treacherous and cunning.

falls out of her chair laughing so hard at this. I mean come on really. Now people whine about spamires, now this. Sorry but non players are free for all. I am not going to walk up to someone and politely message them with, "Hello, would you mind if I bit you, You don't have to play, and this really doesn't effect your SL life at all". It's just stupid. Whiners will always whine about something.

so your saying being bitten by Progeny vampires is wrong with out knowing does real vampires ask first I dont think so . so really this system your judging is not wrong in any way i think its neat and for one they are alot nicer then bloodlines so sorry if you think vampires should ask to bite someoen its not real enough then .good day 

NightShade00 wrote:

so your saying being bitten by Progeny vampires is wrong with out knowing does real vampires ask first I dont think so . so really this system your judging is not wrong in any way i think its neat and for one they are alot nicer then bloodlines so sorry if you think vampires should ask to bite someoen its not real enough then .good day 

Real vampires? Vampires don't exist, so they can't any referance to a "real vampires behavior".

But anyway...if you want to see it from this side....shouln't I notice if a bloodsucking monster is trying to bite me? :catsurprised:

NightShade00 wrote:

so your saying being bitten by Progeny vampires is wrong with out knowing does real vampires ask first I dont think so . 

I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone being bitten by a real vampire under any circumstances, let alone without the victim's permission.

Stating up front, when Bloodlines was spamming, I declined any/all requests.  As for this other thing, all this "in a vampire movie or book, they don't ask permission" silliness, EVERYONE in that movie/book is playing a role.  The author made them up for that ROLEPLAY, so they are all there for the taking.  Actors are getting paid to be bitten, killed and/or turned.  Whoever made this new thingy, didn't make the rest of us up from their imagination.  So, um..  no we shouldn't all be available.   Get a sim(s) where people come who choose to play your little game.

With that said, I don't much care if I get bit as long as you aren't bothering ME with it.  If for some "unknown" reason, I start getting stalked by a bunch of Progeny vampires tping to whereever I'm at with some silliness about "You've been bit and we can follow you because we know where you are" I'm going to start ARing.  If I find out I've been bit, I'll just roll my eyes...  but if you continue with some silly game, you'll be talking to yourself because you'll be muted.  I don't RP with children either.  Just not my thing.   I don't see it as any different than someone in an "insect" avatar and my friend and I in IMs saying "I hate bugs, I'm going to step on that f'er, boom, just crunched it with my heel, or shot it with my gun."  The bug has no idea that we've killed it in ims because we're still talking to it.

So, unlike books and movies, I didn't come from someone's imagination nor am I being paid money to be included.  I'm not in SL for it.  I might dress like a vampire, mummy, etc.. but I'm not RPing one.  I just like playing dressup and that's as far as I want it to go.

And, yeah.. person who threw out "real vampires" um..  you do know this is all playplay right?

Any system that brings a player into the mechanics without any permission or attempt to request permission is annoying.  But the underlying fact that the system requires players to do it is more relevant. 

Any vampire system is, at its best an RP fantasy.  Any 'biting' done should be done with people interested in RPing it out.  Any silent use of other non-RPing players is a failure of the system.  There is literally no difference between having a 'feed on unnamed human' button than a 'feed on that guy over there who isnt involved in my RP'.  Why would the creator of the system use the latter instead of the former?  All it does is annoy some people when they find out about it and create negative threads like this one.

Even if the lack of spammy popups is an improvement over bloodlines, the basic premis is still flawed.

And you know, to add to all the 'realistic vampire' amusement, the only 'realistic' aspect of SL is that nothing is real.  Is it realistic that your 'realistic' vampire can suck blood from an AV that is playing a robot?  or an elemental, or any of a myriad other things that make no sense?  Any attempt to try to apply realism to any aspect of this just ends up sounding silly.

UPDATE:

The progeny vampire system has been in beta for just over 2 years. We must demand that LL make them make it public and not a "closed beta system "by invite only. Why is this important? Because they are manipulating the permission given by Linden Labs. It is to keep the system secret from the public so that can keep people from knowing they are being bit. They have not implemented an ask to bite way or a way to opt out of the system like they have told others they would. Why are they lying?

It's rather obvious. They only reason they like this system is because it gives them power over others, this system is all about power. Please contact linden labs and have them look into it. This system violates our right not to be involved in something we don’t agree with or want to participate in. pass this along.

Martin Emerald wrote:

. We must demand that LL make them make it public and not a "closed beta system "by invite only. 

I'd think we should *demand* that LL cut tier at the same time.  And fix lag.  And give me a pony.

You seem very worried about something that is just a game, or is it for you not?. You have a special interest?. Progeny will hurt your business? lol

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Martin Emerald wrote:

. We must demand that LL make them make it public and not a "closed beta system "by invite only. 

I'd think we should *demand* that LL cut tier at the same time.  And fix lag.  And give me a pony.

And fix inworld search. Fix Sim crossings. And stop rolling out b0rked server code.

Seriously, the thing with Progeny is a data protection issue. Under european law, concerned citizens can file a data
information request, the entity getting the request is required to inform the citizen which data is collected, the data itself, how
and for what purpose this data is used and if there is no obligation by law to keep the data, it must be deleted upon request.
And since the Progeny system/website is accessible from Germany, german courts regularly exert jurisdiction upon foreign
website operators. (See Google/Youtube vs. GEMA). Oh, and local authorities usually act, when they are asked for support
in executing a live court writ.

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Seriously, the thing with Progeny is a data protection issue. Under european law, concerned citizens can file a data

information request, the entity getting the request is required to inform the citizen which data is collected, the data itself, how

and for what purpose this data is used and if there is no obligation by law to keep the data, it must be deleted upon request.

And since the Progeny system/website is accessible from Germany, german courts regularly exert jurisdiction upon foreign

website operators. (See Google/Youtube vs. GEMA). Oh, and local authorities usually act, when they are asked for support

in executing a live court writ.

I'm not so sure EU data protection law applies.   I did once contact the Information Commissioner's Office here in the UK  about RedZone.   They investigated it, but came back quite quickly saying, among other things, that 

On the basis of the information provided it appears unlikely that Linden Lab are a UK data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Whilst Linden Lab may have some UK presence it would appear that the data controller is almost certainly based outside of the EEA.

And since RedZone were also in the USA, there wasn't anything the ICO could do.

Unless the Progeny system are based in the EEA, or process their data here, I am not sure to whom I should direct my request or what the Information Commissioner can do if they ignore it.     

Hunger (the silly vampire game that later added other sorts of creatures) did exactly this. The 'vampires' can stand anywhere and bite with impunity. Sorta like a vampire version of PacMan. It was an annoyance for year or so. After that they began a 'war' among their own players that started interferring with other non-player's enjoyment of SL via stalking on privately held land, interferring with other non related rps, etc.

The group I belonged to at the time attempted to be nice and post a landing notice saying you cannot do this here, put it in the land covenent, etc. Didn't work. And it didn't help that these people were generally terrible rp players, no idea how to actually do it. Land, copy paste some long diatribe about a fantasy/fan fic/amateur murder, then poof out. It DID interfere, it WAS an annoyance. So given we had all rules in place, we started filing ARs with all the documentation, text conversations, pictures, etc. Got several important and multiple non important players of their game banned from SL for abuse. Oh my the weeping and wailing. They all claimed to have LL permission to do so, because the owner of the system told them so. They did not. The owner of the system had found a way to 'game' LL. If you search me in the Hunger website, you will find a designation given to no other, basically stay away from her.

What LL could do (and won't) is allow land banning to include groups. You can set the parcel so scripts can be run only by the land group, but this requires cooperation from the land owner, and may interfere with home welcome rps because non land group players HUDS will not work. 

And that rape analogy, taking it a bit too far there, Martin. It's crude and sexist.