Why I've decided to stop creating content in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Stanton Sinister wrote:

An idea just came to mind. Instead of looking for revenue in the consumer base itself why not incorperate a bitcoin mining pool into sl? Something similar to
but with gpu mining as well for the systems that can handle it of corse giving the option to toggle. Personally I'd rather donate my gpu/cpu usage to LL rather than have them take the money directly from my pocket. X users * hash rate = revenue. Websites already do it why not applications?

Speaking of bitcoin operations, another one bites the dust.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nalates urriah on her blog kick off a discussion across the blogsphere about demoes using the new realms tools that soon to be released. temporary attachments. other ppl like vivienne and arcadia already said how they going to use that, some other ppl as well

like make posestands and vendors in shops that you can stand on and click so can try on clothes and attachments, skins and makeup maybe even, before you buy. thats def a good thing. i will do that when shops make and i think lots of other ppl will as well. will encourage more ppl to buy inworld i think, the try before you buy way of shopping for outfits

Perrie Juran wrote:

Are you suggesting that we have a category for 'whore -wear?' 
;)

/me ducks before I get trounced by all the ladies.

Slutwear, I believe, is the preferred term. Reminds me of one of the most descriptive phrases ever, from a book I think was called "Little League Confidential". The author was describing the clothing style of some of the pre-teen girls: MTV slutwear for Juniors.

ETA I could tell from the way the cursor kept jumping around I was going to wind up in the wrong font, but whatever.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

And yet even with all that stuff for sale, 1) only some of it is something someone would want to wear and 2) women's clothing is far and away the most-purchased merchandise.

Meaning there is still a good market for good women's clothing.

Considering that a good percentage of all the Women's Apparel is skimpy hooker type of clothing, I'd have to agree with you. Not that there is anything wrong with skimpy clothing. I'm just saying that many people focus on this market specifically. This is the complete opposite in most other markets, which barely cover the basics. I'd also say from my quick glance,
that these skimpy outfits should really have their own category,
cause they are scattered throughout the Women's Apparel sub categories.

Are you suggesting that we have a category for 'whore -wear?' 
;)

/me ducks before I get trounced by all the ladies.

Well, we could call it Sexy Wear.

I have created many venues in Sl and sold them. After selling them I have taken the money and invested it back into Second Life.

I decided now I will no longer do this. the thousands I have made from the venues will now be invested into another platform since this one has taken the turn it has. They dont need my money any longer.

10,000 usd is a lot to lose

And in all honesty since MP has been taken over and pushed into the viewer. My Mals have taken serious hits in finances. So The proffit margin has been lost. There is not incentive for me to reinvest this money back.. Market confidence is not there

Have you considered http://unity3d.com/unity/ ? My background is as a Maya developer so it was a no brainer for me because of the import functionality. They used to charge around $100 for the basic version but now it's free. The free version only exports to mac/pc/web and it's missing some of the features available in pro like global illumination but you are licensed to sell any product you produce with it commission free. If you decide to go consul or phone app the pro engine has exporters for iphone/android/ps3/wii and xbox 360. Comparing the price tag of other engines I noticed some of the older engines charge a commission with their pro version if your company makes over 10k usd a year on top of a yearly license while Unity has a flat rate. It uses havok 4 as a physics engine and it's node based for visual designers so building in it is similar to SL in many ways. Anyone serious about creating actual game content should take a look at it imo. I'm actually in the process of using the engine and learning the unity api for a few projects in the works.

As far as traffic bots are concerned I personally used them and I pulled around 40k+ traffic using them with the combined real traffic of two clubs and a combat sim but IMO it was a necessity at the time because EVERYONE on the front page listing was using them and I needed to stay competitive. I'm admitting to this because the in world market has pretty much halted and I submitted to the changes made to the TOS concerning bots a long time ago before it became a TOS issue. Now they are irrelevant because of the low in world search usage and the changes made to sim traffic recognition. My point is that I agree that the figures for resident creation and usage at the time was waaaaay out of bounds. As far as the marketplace sales graph is concerned.... How many of you took into consideration the amount of residents that purchased their own goods with alts in an effort to show up on the "What people are buying."  section of the marketplace front page and to post good feedback for their items? Sorry but there's no Linden graph anyone can show me that holds any water IMO.

Stanton Sinister wrote:

As far as traffic bots are concerned...

The particular linked-to case, however, is a meta-scam: It's trying to lure people into perpetrating the old traffic-gaming scam -- but the real scam is that the traffic-gaming scam no longer works.*

It would be fun to think of it as a kind of vigilante justice, a sort of honeypot for trapping traffic-gaming scumbags. Unfortunately, however, the perpetrator of that meta-scam is just an old-school adfarmer, so it's only commodity sleaze, nothing more imaginative.

A leopard can't change its spots.

*Technically, there is still a tiny boost possible with inflated traffic, but it's hardly worth investing any time to achieve, let alone throwing any money at it.

• 2 weeks later...

After re-reading this post in it's entirety I noticed that I did not comment on your post. I still consider the actions of LL to be tyrannical in a sense that they are giving the user a minimal toolset to use as a content creator while promoting the premise of being able to sell your artistic quality and then stepping on their toes as a content provider selling their own artistic content that in essence is competition for the little guy/resident. I don’t consider my post to be a flounce since I wished everyone well as I called the governing party a tyranny.

• 3 years later...

The scary part is that we watched SLGo blossom then wink out when Sony bought them and most of us haven't taken the lesson - that this is just foreshadowing of what **bleep**erberg may decide to do if he wants to open his wallet, buy Second Life, then shut it down to make us go over to Facebook. Goodbye inventories, goodbye everything.  I wouldn't put it past him to sue to close the OS grids.

You KNOW he's thinking about it.  And you know Rosedale and company wouldn't object on (pauses for laugh here) moral grounds.  Rosedale had his lawyers grab copyright on anything we make here because he's the big cheese and we're the little crumbs.

Surprising to see traffic-gaming no longer works, considering LL doesn't enforce their own prohibition on the practice. 

I've reported one club owner who had ten bots on her fractional-sim club several times, and this person (after having that club crash due purely to her own ineptitude in dealing with other people) is happily spending other people's Lindens running another club which is chock full o' traffic bots and alts designed solely to inflate her traffic figures.  In fairness to her, she's GOT traffic now - because she discovered the secret of running a meat market. 

Not going to bother reporting TOS violations LL doesn't care about - since they themselves are probably getting ready to game anyone with signifcant investment in their Second Lives.

Great point!  And to be perfectly honest, SL, Utherverse and other virtual worlds are pretty up-front about telling newbs that "jobs" in these worlds aren't SUPPOSED to take the place of an RL job. 

Of course, if you designed something that sold for L$250 and each of us in SL bought one, of course, you'd be a multi-millionaire, even if all we bought was ONE.  And Anshe Chung's an example of how you can leverage (in their case) SL real estate and make the sort of money that gets you subpoenaed to Congress to explain that you're not really laundering drug money.

But (all self-love aside) I had a reasonably popular line of women's shapes in SL Marketplace, and at its most popular phase, I was essentially paying for my own SL activities with the lindens I made from it. 

I may re-enter SL Marketplace (when they eliminated Magic Boxes, LL essentially put me out of business, because by then I was full-time maintaining my group's sim and didn't even notice my MP Store no longer had merchandise) at some point, but it'll be when doing so becomes entertaining to me.  Watching enough Lindens roll in to buy a Diet Coke at the end of a day... isn't serious investment, and I won't indulge in the drama of pretending it is. 

To the OP: get an RL job, or learn enough business theory to play with RL capital, if that's your priority.  SL actually models how governments tend to "pick the winners" in real life very well.  And you were schooled just as countless RL small business people are getting schooled in the US when the Federal Government decided to drastically increase their marginal cost of labor.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.