Why I've decided to stop creating content in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yohan Roux wrote:

There are to many traders, those that have planned for that will survive, those that think they can still make a living and expand are going to die, a period of humility is going you teach you just that, humility, thing is most of you think you are gods, lol, and are you for in a shock, no the one that cuts deepest and eats worms will live, the rest will die.

Many of you are to lazy to change, lots to arrogant, but that's ok, don't you think that you should be the first to fall, I remember some years ago I had an add at sweethearts, 2000 lindens a month, when the owner saw I was getting business from it he put it up to 8000 lindens a month, just one add, lol, good to hear he has gone, oops I am lucinda bulloch toe rag.

Wow, it's not hard to see why you've come to the conclusion that "we traders are hostile to each other" if you go around telling your fellow creators that they're lazy, arrogant and suffer delusions of grandeur... :)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relationships mean nothing, only if you are weak, to survive now in this world you must take the lead, not worry about those around you, cos they will follow if they see you are strong and right, you can dislike me now cos you don't see tomorrow, but don't assume that you know what is right, the world is shaped by those that take tomorrow and not those that waited for their mates.

Yohan Roux wrote:

lol, thats ok, to you this is a social network, but i know how to break the hold that market place has.

Actually for the most part I'm very reclusive (apart from the odd occasion where I "spaz out" and start posting on forums :P ), so for me SL is more of a digital canvas/sandbox than a social network, since the majority of my time is spent alone creating weird things for my own entertainment.

I'm not really sure how to respond to the second half of your sentence (other than to maybe repeat my "tad strange" comment). :)

That's ok, this thread is about the malls being dead, the fact that you seem to have got involved is odd to say the least, but you were the only one to respond to what I said about traders being hostile, but I know how to revive the malls, but I want 1% of every thing they sell, that's all, I can and will do it on my own.

Hmm I thought it was a thread about how one creator has decided to stop creating content in SL, as someone that enjoys creating I don't see why my involvement in it would be in any way 'odd'.  My response (not my first in this thread but my first response to a post of yours) was to your sweeping statement concerning creators thinking they were gods and being arrogant and lazy, I merely referred to your previous post about traders being hostile.

Anyway, all that aside, good luck with that "mall" thing! ;)

Yes me. I have always preferred to shop in World, and it's sad to see it's becoming less of an option. Yes of course I use marketplace sometimes - but mainly because places are too laggy to see what I'm  buying in world too. Latest updates seem to be using more and more of my computers capacity and standing in a store waiting for a vendor to rez can be somewhat annoying.

As a consumer not a content creator, I see some of my favourite stores leaving SL all the time now, but then I've been saying for a long time that LL really need to get IN world and see what's happening IN world. SL'ers don't live on FB or Twitter - we live here.

I can respect a free and open market based on competition and things like supply/demand but if you consider my franchise and what options are available for marketing then take into consideration that LL is using linden created methods of AI that aren't even available to the consumer and the add campaign they used where EVERYONE who uses a sl viewer was plastered with a full page add promoting their product on the login screen.... Is that fair?

I was actually excited to see mesh implemented. Mesh gives content creators the ability to produce intricate products with low prim count, low load on visuals and low physics usage depending on how it's imported. I'm surprised it wasn't implemented from the beginning personally since every game engine to date generally uses some form of poly mesh with transparent innards to achieve this. Unfortunately with all the changes made to the viewer not a lot of people are willing to update to mesh viewers.

In response to site tracking, "sorry I gotta ask lol"  do peer blocking programs generally stop them from seeing what sites you view? I know I have all my browser settings set to not save my history and not allow cookies unless prompted. I use an ip proxy method and I generally use peerblocker at all times due to the high amount of bitcoin transactions I make. I'm curious because I consider my system to be fairly secure and if this is the case then LL has in fact made an effort to promote.

I substituted quantity with quality in my product. I made an effort to allow as many other combat systems to integrate into my mobs as possible. I updated my product line over 4 years and even worked on a proprietary system that was pve based with a free lootgen... 2 years wasted imo on generating loot content... The market will always be saturated with competition.... The question people ask is what makes your product different.

Please view the original post first... not a flame... It's not about weak or strong..... Business minded people generally will notice when somone is making money in their market then try to incorperate that into their own product line, some in a legitmate way and others will pirate your product and sell it for less. The only thing you can do after that is offer a better and more secure product.

please read original post... This thread is about linden labs creating product in a supposedly user created world and using marketing methods/script assets/land usage not available to the consumer/land owner/content creator to sell people a product that is superior and a lot easier to market for them than anything the general customer base/resident/content creator can offer, hense why I refuse to participate in content creation until changes are made. I'm not blowing smoke here nor measuring my epeen against other content creators but look at my franchise and visit random combat sims...  The ones that are still around anyway…. I'm sure you will see at least one of my products being used. They saw a market for a product and utilized their methods to monopolize it once again stepping on the content creator for monetary gain in a short view. I could just as easily sell iphone and android apps using the unity engine and javascript but I’m a patron of SL and I enjoy watching it grow. I’ve tutored multiple people in maya for free as to how they can create sculpted prims, I even started tutoring in poly mesh which is an entirely different beast btw using uv mapping. I have contributed to the community and will continue to do so as well as offer customer support for my current product line. I will not however spend my time in a virtual world that is ran by a dictatorship…. Provide the assets and let the user create the world or piss off imo…

Yes there are several ways to track you even with all that. If you really want to drop off the radar you're going to have to get much more restrictive, to the point where many websites break. For starters I'd suggest looking into the FireFox addons NoScript and RequestPolicy. Search the web if you want to get hard core about it.

I've read a lot of constructive criticism and people have made a lot of valid points in this thread. I'm surprised that in 2 days it's raked in over 500 views wich leads me to belive it's an issue that people are interested in. I'd like to hear from the linden content creators working on the mmorpg assets and possibly Rod Humble. No disrespect intended Rod, I have purchased and own pretty much every sims game created and I aspire to become a content creator in your ranks but seriously what were you thinking making linden labs as a corperate entity competition for the consumer base that you cater to?

I use a linux os and oricle virtual box to emulate windows on a 64 bit system and I generally wipe the os after usage. I personally don't see how an emulated os can be tracked. The only thing I really can't change is the first 6 numbers of my ip and my isp name but that requres a tracerout and by then my ip has generally changed.

lol sry i'm in and out of the forum i eddited the last post as well. Thanks for the input. I set the original machine to specifics that are secure enough browser wise but I usually wipe the cloned machine after I make transactions etc and I use vm instead of wine just because i'm more familiar with it. Bitcoin is a p2p currency so I was just wondering if peerblocker did anything to stop tracking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.