Mesh Shoe for Woman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello together,

i wanted to show off my first creation for woman shoes in Second Life.  I don´t really know if this is filed under the right section, but i thought it might be interesting to talk about it more technically if someone want to :)

So, here is the Video

I developed a special Blender Material baking system, combining my own leather textures with sculptmaps created in Blender. It is nearly done, i just need to clean up the topology and making some LOD for it. 

Many greets

Mathes, ²Digitalgames

Well, this is actually only the mesh itself. I have many things on my Youtube account just to show of my work. The boots aren´t available for now and there is no link to my store or something. So it is an advert into my knowledge of modelling and not an advert for my store as it only shows the mesh itself.

But jeah, i know, since every person in Second Life can have an own label and store, this is always a problem if you want to talk about your creations. Well, i would have hoped you ask me something like" how did you that" or something :)  I was not planning to show you everything without any talking about it.

I hope this is understandable, even if i really like to share knowledge. 

Many greets

Mathias, ²Digitalgames

Well then, ok [but this not like i know what knowlege sharing really means, you want me to drop down everything and this is unfriendly in my eyes].

This is something i did to get my Shoe to have nice materials:

One easy step is to avoid small wrinkles by modelling them out and using you texture to simulate them. You can save up to 80% of triangle count by just letting Blender baking them out of the Highpoly Sculpting version of your lowpoly object. Triangle count is one of the most important thing in creating stuff for games and realtime engine. The more you save, the more performance you get. Here is a problem with the desired look in Second Life, most Second Life user don´t know that the polycount of objects makes Second Life slow the more objects you use for detail. So , in Second life, it is quite normal to deal with up to 20.000 Triangels only for one singel shoe. For a small compare, a good polycount for the main charackter in many games today is from 10.000 to 25.000 Triangles, but this is a whole avatar. To get much details and low polycount the artist have to deal with many tricks to fake amounts of details. The easiest for second Life is to bake Specular and Ambient occlusion into the model.

At this part, i jumped straight over the whole lowpoly to highpoly and baking progress to something you want to know, so i hope you know all this stuff for the next tip. To bake Specularity into your textur you have to use the Blender node system.

This is the base node for baking Specular into your texture :

Blender Node Specular.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's kind of you to show a screenshot of how you baked the specular highlights, as many people aren't aware that blender can even do that. The node editor is a little scary at first, but when you realise how flexible it can be, you can create some great effects with it. 

Congrats on the boots btw, they looks great :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.