Trouble with ***Islands

ShazneyValentine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In this week, the second week of February, we decided to move to *** Islands because one of the staff members helped us so nicely to find what we were looking for.

We got all set, happy to go and we paid 2 weeks of rent. We rezzed a bunch of stuff to the land, only to find out that when we returned after the sim restarted, everything was gone. We talked to Candy *** about the matter and not only did we get a response after waiting a long time for it, the answers that we got were: " SL is having a bad day". 

Sending a notecard to their support member asking for an explanation resulted in getting no response what so ever. We waited 4 days for them to give any response at all.  We paid 4200 ld for a place that we never had and we lost a bunch of no copy inventory as well in the process.

Has anyone else had trouble with them? Needless to say, we abandoned the land and went back to the place where we have been renting for over a year without any problems at all and settled for quality over bigger land.

This is not the place to discuss this, unfortunately, and naming avatars, especially in a derogatory way, is actually against the Terms of Service on the forums, and I would therefore advise you remove the named avatar from your original post.

Regarding any rental agreement between residents, it is always wise to do your homework before you actually commit to parting with any amount of money. Part of the homework involves visiting the sims, and you can actually see how long other residents have lived there by clicking on the land details - you do not actually have to even speak to your potential neighbours.  Longevity of other residents is always a good sign. 

There have been issues in Second Life as a result of inventory maintenance during the past few weeks, and it does sound to me like unfortunately you may have been one of the unlucky ones.  You could try again to send a polite notecard to your landlord and ask if there is any way of remedying the situation.

Or you could just put this down to experience, as you appear to have done, and move on.

There are some things that are out of a landlord's hands.  One of them is just this, where LL is the one responsible and not only you, but your landlord as well, have probably suffered the same losses.  I make no comment or judgement on your landlord but I am also sim owner that used to have a land holding business. 

It's a shame that this happened to you however, it is something that most of us sim owners deal with on a daily basis.

I would recommend also filing a ticket with LL regarding your inventory losses.  They may be able to help you there.

wish you good luck :)

It is sop in sl for landlords to not give refunds.  This is prevalent and understandably so.  I would recommend anyone renting in sl to avoid paying large amounts when entering into a new landlord/tenant agreement.  This is one of the most, if not the most, competative business in sl.  It isn't easy to keep tenants so the turn around on any rentals can sometimes be lengthy.  Having said this, I again need to stress that what occured on  your sim is something that can occur with any land owner.

It's a shame you left with that much rent paid up front however, have you considered asking for the land back?  Perhaps they would be open to you doing so.

Thank you for amending your original post to comply with ToS.

I really do understand your frustration and unhappiness at the situation; yes 4000L$ is a lot to lose, but again I would urge you to contact the owner of the Islands again to try and make amends.  You maybe caught them on a bad day too, with all that was going on in SL. 

• 2 weeks later...

Candy's support, and that of her Islands, is absolutely stellar, really. They're a subsidiary of Anshe Chung et al, btw: only the largest, most reliable super landowners in SL, is all. There are indeed situations even beyond their control: Linden losing inventory is one of those. Purely speculating on my end, but in your case Linden Labs may have been doing server rollovers, decided something needed reverting after all, and rolled back the server your sim was on to a state of, say, the day before. As a rule it's therefore advised not to rezz (important) stuff on rollover Tuesdays.

Requesting a restore from an earlier state is often a life-saver. In your case, however, it accomplished the exact opposite: you lost all your stuff as a result. Candy asking Linden to restore to an earlier state would therefore be pointless. So, indeed, you have no other recourse really but to open a ticket with the Linden themselves. Good luck with that (yes, the sarcasm in the last sentence was intentional, as we all know how much Linden cares about their customers).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.