First person shooter game in SL, your thoughts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of bringing this idea to SL for a few months, what would you think of a gaming region with 2 headquarters or more and 2 teams/clans geared up with guns, capturing the flag of each other teams or just killing in team mode?

Kind of like a RL paintball match, Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike, Call of Duty, etc, but in Second Life! I'm willing to put some L into this project and take it forward and would like to know, if this would interest you at all? Would it be a place where you spend your dead times in SL?

I'm personally, tired of roleplaying and sometimes I just want to shoot stuff, thought about this, share your thoughts, please!

There's been lots of those for years, they got bored with capturing a flag, they got bored with guns to, they still raid each other a lot but prefer swords and hand to hand, guns tend to spoil the fun as a you just have to hide behind something and once a few do that then its a no mans land in the middle and the game drags on for hours, last game I played like that was 3 years ago and most gave up after an hour and tpped home, no one could move from their cover.

Voodoo Schnyder wrote:

Kind of
like Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike, Call of Duty
, etc, but in Second Life! I'm willing to put some L into this project and take it forward and would like to know, if this would interest you at all?

Grid design renders this request of yours impossible.  I' m not sure it could not be done, but some pretty basic stuff about SL would have to change drastically. We' re even talking changing server-code here is my guess, perhaps specifically to the rendering and / or physics engine.

With current affairs this is never happening.

I would love to watch it happen though.

I even think Rodvik Linden should take your post into consideration.

what LL would charge for a server would be a fortune lol

look what they charge just for one sim on a server..

i don't think they could pull off an fps that would be worth it..but it would be nice if they could..

their servers are spread too thin as they are now..add what it would take to run an fps..

i  used to love clan play..CTF instagib low gravity155/55 was great in UT and weapons or instagib regular speed was also fun with no gravity..

weapons helped a lot with your shot having to hit a target more than one time..no grav helped with timing and dodge...

being that fps players are so into their shot and timing and all that goes with that .i just don't think sl could handle something like that..

not for those that would want to get serious..

you would be making something that would take a really high end system..then playing on sims that are on servers that are jammed up with other sims..

even a ut99 type fps or older quake would be a rough play on sl i think..

anyways here are a couple of movies one from quake and one from UT99 instagib..if they can get at least to this level where we could really get in there  and need some serious skills..i would play them for sure =)

SCREAMER WARNING!! i should warn people watching this one..i forgot there was a screamer scene in the middle of this quake video..it's when the player stops and it goes quiet and neo says ..what the hell..then clicks his keyboard..then the excersist girl screams..so be ready..i forgot they had that in here..it's been awhile since i have seen this one..

on the map is 3 sims:

Combat (sandbox) - Red

Combat (sandbox) Rausch

Combat (sandbox) - Blue

on red and blue sims is a spawning point (parcel safezone) for each team, that are no push and no damage. the rest of the 3 sims is full damage and push allowed

+

no one hardly ever goes to rausch anymore. has mostly to do with the push and full damage being on, so is open to driveby full damage shooters and heavy push scripts. if you can work round them on ur arena then you will do ok. all the best (:

+

ps. Sandbox - Weapons testing. can find on map on that name. lots of weps makers go there to meet up and test/show off their new stuff

• 4 months later...

The 1st time I had a firefight in SL I was thinking, why is everything running in slow motion? After a while I even knew how to handle the lag and use it to my advantage. *giggles*

I had fun most of the time but SL is in no way able to be a shooter.

Since the Linden damage system is not very useful you will find many "combat meters" that simulate the damage. You can find quite some sims where you can fight often combined with a RP environment. (I guess the numbers are decreasing)

Just to clear your question marks above the head about the sim... it was live some months ago, it had some success and was kindly awarded to the destinations guide by LL editors, we had a party system rolling and we had a lot of fun for a while, I moved on to different things and different projects, still in gaming field though, stay tuned ;)

• 2 years later...

Hello every1, we're pry digging ourselves into the ground but we decided to remake a prototype unreal tournament 99 dm. we're only doing one of everything atm, on arena, one hud, one weapon (enforcer), one system, one play type, one body ect, we've gotten pretty far and are hoping to atleast get one prototype out there, :3.

All we need atm is an arena and to hook up the frags with a temp score board, and we're done script and visual wise, :3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.