Maximum Bandwidth and the Statistics Window

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While recording a comparason video between the current Development Viewer and an old June 2011 Dev that runs smoother, I noticed a major difference in presented bandwidth.

Basically the June2011 dev viewer was the best viewer to ever exist for speed and smooth frame rates, but since then something has buggered up every viewer since. So i compare current builds to that old build hopeing someday LL will give me a viewer that runs just as smooth. 

One comparason shows that stats window when panning the camera from looking outside the region to looking inwards. When i did this on the old June dev viewer i noticed that as the cam pans inwards the bandwidth rockets above 1000kps to the maximum bandwidth set in preferences. But on the current Feburary Viewer the bandwidth remains at below 100kps, well below its maximum setting in preferences. 

Does anyone else know more about this sort of thing, could this be the reason the new Devs do not run as smooth as the old June Dev? I mean, perhaps the newer viewers communicate through my router differently compared to the old Dev, and i have to set my router or something.

I may be mentioning a few things you already considered, so bear with me. (^_^)

1) Cache.  Hopefully you ran this test on a clear cache each time.  Otherwise, there should be a shift in bandwidth.  Simply due to the client relying on more local resources.  If not that, it could be a matter of each client having subtle changes in garbage collection and/or visual culling. (^_^)

2) HTTP. HTTP texture downloads really speed up data gathering, but it can also be a resource hog.  I believe the key problem with HTTP asset gathering right now is that the process is given too high a priority and devouring useful CPU/bandwidth for other operations. (>_<)

That's all I can imagine right now.  There could be other causes and I could possibly be 100% wrong.  But, hey... =^-^=

Loki, that bandwidth spike is what I'd expect if you panned into a space containing something with uncached textures. You might not see those things rez as you pan because they can be obsured by closer things. As Immy said, you should clear your cache before making bandwidth comparisons. After doing a slow pan to force everything to load, you can do a second pan to see your bandwidth after everything has loaded. Even if you return to the sim later, you will find bandwidth spiking as you pan while the servers update the viewer with geometry.

Loki Eliot wrote:

Well maybe that can be proven by turning Mesh Rendering off inDebug and see if that makes a difference.

Which i just did and saw no difference, so i dont believe Mesh is the issue. 

They added in a new rendering pipeline with the arrival of mesh - switching off mesh rendering doesn't remove that pipeline, there is no way to remove it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.