whats up with the original SL viewer, this is driving me nuts.

coreyxcx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i love the original SL viewer version 3, i dont like using other viewers like pheonix..but im forced too because even though i have the graphics on ultra on both clients including anistrophic filtering and anti aliasing, draw distance is only at 100 and particle at like 5000, not even turned up too high but for some reason pheonix works with NO lag and the original will take me 5 hours to load..horrid downtime with the original and ive checked the settings over and over again. the lag meter says its only red in the client. the computer im using has an ati 5770 and a pentium dual core 2.5 ghz E5200. so its not the network or the specs..and ive checked the settings..so is it a faulty client?! is this why everyone i meet in the game hates the original viewer and 9/10 people you see arent using it? this really sucks because i love it. love the design. 

also it doesent matter how low the graphics are i just turned em all the way down and it lags on low graphics..with almost around 10 mbps..and a 5770..seriously? guessing this client is just buggy or something. well i guess with the right theme pheonix is pretty nice :)

here is my sppedtest results with second life youtube and steam open 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1763741833.png

coreyxcx wrote:

is this why everyone i meet in the game hates the original viewer and 9/10 people you see arent using it? 

It is a very large part of the reason.  The other part is that some TPV offer more features people find useful that the SL V3 doesn't have. The SL viewers are slow to adopt to these popular features if they adopt them at all.

SL V3 is a heavier user of resources than Phoenix.

You may want to try the latest release of FIrestorm.  It is closer to V3 than Phoenix.  There are two versions of it for PC's.  One may work better for you than the other.  You may though have the same issues with it.

While I'd love to give you a specific reason why your computer doesn't work well with SL V3, I'm not sure why.  My own has even higher specs than yours and even though I can run SL V3, I get better performance from Firestorm and it has extra features that I love.

Maybe someone else can tell you what's going on.  A  high techie friend of mine that is familiar with the code said there were memory leak issues with SL V3 and earlier Firestorm release.  He told me recently though that he thinks Firestorm plugged the leaks in the last version.  I can offer no opinion myself other my friend is usually right about these things.

Eventually Phoenix and viewers like it based on SL V1.23 or the SL Snowglobe viewer will no longer function well with SL at all unless they are able to adapt the code of SL V3  with the UI of a viewer like Phoenix.   That time is not that far off, so you need to find a solution to  your problem with SL V3, hope that they fix the issues if the cause is the viewer, or find a TPV that is similar to SL V3 that works for you.

The Phoenix developers have already stated they will not be developing Phoenix further,  that they are putting all their development efforts into Firestorm.  However there are other TPV like Phoenix that may continue to develop.

It's not necessarily the UI design that determines whether ti will be able to log into SL or not...it's the engine i.e the Library files that the offical LL viewers uses that counts. Coolviewer retains a 1.23 UI, but runs on the V3 client coding & libraries and can view Mesh, Shadows and all the other important bits. It would be rather difficult to prevent the CoolViewer from logging in without crippling the login process of their own official LL viewers.

You're not alone. I have been using 1.23.5 and have it still running, but i changed to Phoenix yesterday.

All V2/3 based viewers have become terribly laggy with low fps while v1 based are very quick with very high fps. I installed Phoenix 1.6 because it is fast and has all the bells ans whistles of V2/3, even showing mesh without extra lag.

The downside of Phoenix however is the chance of crashing when using search which is a bit of a showstopper. A problem more ppl seem to have. Not sure if i keep using it, if not i will return to 1.23.5 which is fast but has less options.

In Phoenix you can see who is using what viewer. Most of what i see is either Phoenix or Firestorm. Official viewers are hardly in use except for newbs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.