Inventory instability

Jillee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok, so this seems to be happening more and more lately.  My inventory is 11,000+  --- next day I log in and it's down to 8,500 and I'm obviously missing LOTS of stuff; so I log out and log into the beta world (read that in a forumn) and wait patiently for my inventory to reload --- then log back into the  "real world" and it's usually ok.    Now it's not ok anymore --- I'm STILL missing stuff, not as much stuff...but still.

I'm off to send a ticket to Linden Lab, but I'm curious if anyone knows why this keeps happening; I clear cache etc pretty often.

I use Phoenix  1.6.0.1600

*SIGHS*

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Jillee

I've been in Second Life since November 2007, and can honestly say I have never lost anything from my inventory. This is not to say that it isn't possible to have things disappear from the inventory, it's just that I'm trying to reassure you that this shouldn't be happening.

Logging into the Beta world (?) - by that if you mean logging into the Aditi beta test grid and then logging back into the main Agni grid - I fail to see why this would make any positive difference to the contents of your inventory. If anything, that would cause your inventory cache to be even more confused.  Also, you will notice that while you are over on the Aditi beta test grid the contents of your inventory, your groups, your profile, will be as they were on main grid the last time you changed your password.

If you flit between viewers, you may experience certain issues, such as your avatar appearing inworld with a bizarre set of clothing on (ie several outfits at once), or not loading at all.  Again, this is down to cache issues.

I'm going to refer you to the official information regarding "losing stuff" from your inventory. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Inventory-management/ta-p/700093#Section_.3

If you truly believe you have lost inventory, then submitting a support ticket is the right thing to do, undoubtedly.

• Like 1

Hi Jillee. There are numerous reasons that can cause inventory losses (login to different regions, a crash, objects returned to your lost and found folder,... They are too many to list them here). Please read carefully the tips and instructions given in this link.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_loss

I would suggest you also try to use another viewer (LL's official or Firestorm) and see if you're having the same issues.

As a last resort, you may have to file a ticket. I hope you won't need it. :smileyhappy:

Hello Jillee and welcome to SL Forums. There are many causes. At first open your statistics bar with Ctrl+Shift+1 and see if you have packet loss. Any nonzero packet loss is bad but if you see above 10% is very very bad. If so, reboot your modem / router leting it closed for at least 2-3 mins, decrease your maximum bandwith to 500 under Preferences in your log in screen and relog to a quiet region.

Another one cause is when you switch between different viewers, others based on 1.23x and others on 2.x. If you have already tried to clear your cache without luck (usually it is the first we try) i would suggest you to uninstall completely all your viewers, to delete all temporary files and settings and to install just 1 viewer, your favorite (Phoenix 1.60). Relog after in a quiet region without lag like Smith, Exeuxoa or Anzere, open your inventory and wait with patience until to be fully loaded. See if that makes any difference. If you are a Premium you can submit a ticket. Unforturately LL (as i know) offers support for inventory issues only to premium members. Good luck.

Part of the problem, I think, is that you are using a badly outdated viewer.   Back in January last year, LL switched to the new Inventory API, which works far better than did the old one, but, as LL warn on the wiki page, "be aware the pre-Viewer-2.5.1 code has numerous bugs associated with this method of accessing inventory."  

My inventory -- considerably larger than yours -- invariably loads without fail in well under a minute using the official viewer, as does it when I'm using any of the TPVs based on V3, or Firestorm.   

It really would be worth trying another viewer and seeing if you don't get better results.    

LL have made considerable improvements in things like inventory fetching over the last year, but you only see the benefit if you're using a viewer that's capable of taking advantage of the changes.   And, as they continue to improve it, they aren't worrying about whether the improved systems work better, worse, or not at all,  on older viewers.

Several good answers.

There are a couple of additinal things to check. Look through Phoenix's preferences and make sure you are using HTTP Inventory. If you have trouble finding the setting ask in the PH/FS Viewer Support group. When you change the inventory API used you need to close the viewer and clear the cache.

As to frequently clearing the cache... DON"T! One of the FS/PH developers is on a crusade to get people to stop clearing the cache unless they have a problem that is known to be caused by cache corruption, which is rare now. Ever sense the Lab brought out the new larger indexed cache clearing can create uunnecessary load on the servers and slow down your process.

The 1.6.0.1600 version of Phoenix may or may not use HTTP Inventory. I'd have to look it up. Any viewer not using HTTP Inventory is going to have problems. The 1600 is a mid December release. You can ask in the support group if it uses HTTP Inventory. I can't get the groups chat just now.

Phoenix uses its own cache by default. So, there will not be any cross cache corruption from different viewers. Most TPV's now use their own cache. Firestorm and Phoenix each use their own cache unless you override the setting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.