Sign in to follow this  
Theo Adonide

Marvel in Second Life

Question

9 answers to this question

We're quite a hypocritical lot here in Second Life.  We scream bloody murder when someone infringes on our unwritten "copyrights" for our digital content, fill numerous DMCA takedowns, whine incessantly about Linden Lab not doing enough to protect our rights........then we see posts like this openly asking where one might enjoy such content that is very unlikely have an agreement with the copyright owner of content that is clearly protected under existing copyright laws in the United States.  We also wonder why bills are written such as SOPA and PIPA. 

If we can't police ourselves then someone else will.  And that someone else just may be the Congress of the United States.  We won't be happy about that.....no one will.  You're either for content protection or you are not.  If you can't protect someone else's copyrights by abiding by the laws then you are not for content protection.......you're just mouthing the words but in reality you are a hypocrit.  Marvel Worldwide, Inc. owns the copyright for Marvel comics.........go there and get the agreement signed, pay the fees and get legal.  Otherwise remove your stolen content from the grid.  Or you can continue to steal and whine about laws like SOPA or LL not protecting your rights........and get laughed at by me.

http://marvel.com/corporate/app-terms

Speaking in general. I see all sort of things in SL that infringe of some company's copyrighted content.........some of which is highly tauted as "great" by residents. But I highly doubt the SL creator ever bothered to get an agreement from the copyright owner. And many of those same enthusists whine and moan when someone infringes on their "copyrighted" content.........usually screaming the Linden Lab must do more to protect creator's rights. The Marvel comics is just one. Disney a few years ago. Those copyright holders are hissed at and demeaned as greedy, uncaring companies. The SL content creators also bemoan laws like SOPA and PIPA for taking away their freedoms (and those laws certanly would do that) but it's invititable as long as we (the general public, not just SL creators) continue to have this double standard and refuse to take responsibilty for protecting our content and not demanding someone else do it for us. SOPA and PIPA are results of "someone else doing it for us".

It's a pet peeve. So keep that in mind when I talk about this subject.

there are a number of us looking for an answer to your question.  i suggest people really read the question as one of the posts (answers) suggests that the question asks where to find where you can get stolen content and that is not what is being asked here.  but rather to find where the info is regarding the takedown.  I agree as i would like validation that this is the case.   When we first heard of this one of our group members told us they had called marvel comics to inquire about this and was told they had no idea where this was coming from.  We are following up to verify that the call was made and the response to it, as we do want to be compliant with trademarks and such.

Again please be careful when replying to be sure you are accurate in your statements inaccurate replies not only hurt but they are misleading and can cause a lot of damage.

• Like 1