How to turn beach into grasland (without estate rights)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I have a 1/4 homestead with no estate rights. I want to turn a part of the sim into a forest theme and the other part as a beach area.

Sure, i can drop down a huge prim, put a texture on it and drop some sculpties here and there as gras mounts but it looks too cheap.

There must be other solutions that i don't know about so i'm dying to find out through this forum.:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Greetz,

Shaz

ShazneyValentine wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a 1/4 homestead with no estate rights. I want to turn a part of the sim into a forest theme and the other part as a beach area.

Sure, i can drop down a huge prim, put a texture on it and drop some sculpties here and there as gras mounts but it looks too cheap.

There must be other solutions that i don't know about so i'm dying to find out through this forum.:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Greetz,

Shaz

Howdy, Shaz!  There are field sculpts out there (I have several actually) that you can apply a grass texture to and lay down.  There are several that are fairly dense, so the grass is pretty thick.  That's an option to plopping down a large prim.  However, you will still be able to see the the sand in the ground texture of the sim.  Maybe put several of the field sculpts in the same spot and rotated slightly would minimize the appearance of the sand.  

I can direct you to the place I got my field sculpts if you want to try that.  :)

If it were me, I'd simply build a mesh model to cover the entire landscape.  Although we've all become accustomed to looking at sim land, the truth is it's really rather ugly, low-res, not at all realistic, and very limited in functionality.  Substantially better aesthetics can be achieved by replacing it with a custom mesh.

There is also a product sold on the marketplace that does this.  You rez out a 'machine' that is only a few prims every so many meters.  Each machine reads the topography of the land and creates a sculpt that has the same topography and rezzes them right on top of the land.  Each sculpt matches seamlessly with its neighbor.  You can then texture each sculpted prim as you like.  THe prims where the forest meets the beach should use a custom seamless texture that blends the two textures so that it looks like a natural transition.  This requires that you export both textures into a graphics program that has tools capable of giving this effect.

I have one and have used it successfully.  The only caveat is that the topography has to transition graduaully and smoothly if you have high and low areas such as a mountain with a pit at the foot of it.  Can't remember right off the name of it, but if you IM me in world I can tell you.  I'm not in world right now.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.