Sign in to follow this  
Qie Niangao

Permissions on Zindra's Linden-owned land (and water)

(EDIT: Contrary to what I'd written here, the ACUG page on the wiki clearly shows that I can submit this topic to the meeting agenday by emailing community@lindenlab.com ....  I don't know why I didn't see it before.  The wiki page history shows that it was there all along.  Hysterical blindness, I guess.)

So, every time I decide to push a certain project ahead of my backlog, I bump into the same problem that I forgot the previous time:  Why are Governor Linden protected parcels on Zindra set with different permissions than the rest of the Mainland?

In particular, most of the roads and waterways on Zindra disallow Object Entry by everyone.  In contrast, the rest of the Mainland sims allow object entry on roads and waterways.

The restrictive setting doesn't interfere with ridden vehicles as long as the rider remains seated, but it prevents running regularly scheduled, often unmanned vehicles (such as Qu Qi's ferry service through the ANWR Strait between the Atoll and Sansara continents).

Does anybody know any history behind this?  Was it intentional, or just an oversight?  Or maybe a setting that was intended to be temporary, perhaps to counter a griefing attack, but never got flipped back to normal?

I'm a fan of those automated vehicles on mainland, but glad they don't work on Zindra.

If let into Zindra, it'd be days before someone made one that was a giant male genital with spewing 'extras'...

- Such objects in static form litter the downtown side of zindra, and I'd hate to see them make it onto the rivers and roads.

After a little more investigation, I see that there's no uniformity of settings at all on Zindra.  Some sims allow entry--and even build--and some don't, in no pattern that I can discern.

So if it's intended to prevent obscene automated vehicles, then it's only effective in deterring long-range vehicles.

I know there are some folks who would very much like a water shuttle around parts of Zindra, and that's how I'm periodically reminded to investigate this, and then frustrated by what I find (and then forget until the next time).  

(On the positive side, this latest investigation led me to discover Torley's Hollywood red carpet and velvet ropes, among other prims, in the broken part of the Mosh South "Zindra Mall" build.)

That balloon idea is looking better and better, isn't it?

I think the difference in perms probably stems from when we first moved over - if you remember they went around returning all the off sim stuff we put in the water to try to jazz up the waterways.  I think when they found some they returned the items and changed the perms. hey ho and all that.

Well, the balloon thing isn't really different from the water shuttle thing, in that both would need object entry enabled to run without passengers.  

Either sort of vehicle could get around that limitation by being "on demand": only running when there's a passenger and then poofing when the passenger stands up.  The problem is that usage is pretty much zero for on-demand vehicles.

Of course, the unmanned autonomous vehicles wouldn't get a lot of use either, but at least they'd generate some visual activity without putting any noticeable load on the sims.

It may well be that returning the off-sim builds had some effect on the water-sim settings, but the landlocked Kama City sims are also a complete hodgepodge of settings.

I realize this is not a priority, but still I'd expect there should be some standard, or some historical record of why some Linden land should follow different standards.

At this point, however, I get the strong impression that it's worse than "not a priority."  It seems the ACUG meetings are now being scheduled only as needed.  Sorta like those "on demand" vehicles that nobody ever uses.

Just to illustrate what I'm griping about, just trying to get across the river from Mosh to Mosh South:

The Mosh Port of Kama City build is set on the Governor's "Municipal Land" parcel, which allows Object Entry but disallows Build.

The "Mosh" parcel comprising the landing and river, Mosh-side, disallows both Object Entry and Build.

Halfway across the river, one reaches the Mosh South "River" parcel, which allows both Object Entry and Build.

Next, the old Zindra Mall parcel (still called "Zindra") allows Object Entry but disallows Build.

Inside the Zindra Mall, stores were placed on separate "Zindra Mall store" parcels, set to the "Zindra Mall" group; those disallow both Object Entry and Build.  These are also set to 1 minute auto-return, whereas all the other parcels listed have 10-minute auto-return.

Now, I can see the point of some "rez areas" allowing Build and others not.  What I don't understand is disallowing Object Entry some places but not others, given that they all (quite correctly) use auto-return.